****UEFA Champions League Thread 17/18****

G.E.C.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, sausagetrunks said:

fucking scouse scum, the celtic of england, hate the cunts, city will turn this around. 

Liverpool are not the celtic of England. 

8 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Liverpool are not the celtic of England. 

Everton are the Catholic club, the amount of people that don't know this is staggering, I mean do they not see the tri colours in the crowd. 

Just because the beasts stole the songs of a club doesn't make that club affiliate with them. In fact I'd imagine most clubs down south would hate the Britain hating beasts from up here. 

34 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Everton are the Catholic club, the amount of people that don't know this is staggering, I mean do they not see the tri colours in the crowd. 

Just because the beasts stole the songs of a club doesn't make that club affiliate with them. In fact I'd imagine most clubs down south would hate the Britain hating beasts from up here. 

What is 'staggering' many times is this nonsense going to be regurgitated? 

St. Domingos was NOT a Catholic club before they changed the name to Everton, it was a Methodist church.

'St. Domingo Methodist New Connexion Chapel was opened in 1871 in Breckfield Road North, Everton, Liverpool. ... Thus a football club called St. Domingo F.C. was formed in 1878, the club's first match being a 1–0 home victory over Everton Church Club.'

Everton have never been a Catholic club. Its an utter myth spread by people who have no idea of the history of the club. They have tricolours at Goodison and Anfield as both have supporters in the Republic and players from both clubs have played for that country.

I'm sure it's because in England a chapel is Baptist or Methodist and not Catholic that this myth remains as fact in parts of Scotland.

Most clubs and their fans are utterly ambivalent about Scottish football. Some, sadly, are not educated about that mob and it can be a job for them to believe the truth (I always try to enlighten them about the unwashed). Only those that encounter them or understand actually despise them.

Tarriers of England hahaha.

The founder was in the Orange order. I’ve been to a couple of Liverpool games, get the tickets through two Scottish boys who are Rangers fans and when you’re in and around the pubs beforehand with them and their mates the scouse boys couldn’t give any less of a fuck about Scottish football.

The mhank bus from my neck of the woods runs a bus to some Everton games as far as I’m aware but I doubt they give much of a fuck about that lot either.

2 hours ago, RFC Eagle said:

What is 'staggering' many times is this nonsense going to be regurgitated? 

St. Domingos was NOT a Catholic club before they changed the name to Everton, it was a Methodist church.

'St. Domingo Methodist New Connexion Chapel was opened in 1871 in Breckfield Road North, Everton, Liverpool. ... Thus a football club called St. Domingo F.C. was formed in 1878, the club's first match being a 1–0 home victory over Everton Church Club.'

Everton have never been a Catholic club. Its an utter myth spread by people who have no idea of the history of the club. They have tricolours at Goodison and Anfield as both have supporters in the Republic and players from both clubs have played for that country.

I'm sure it's because in England a chapel is Baptist or Methodist and not Catholic that this myth remains as fact in parts of Scotland.

Most clubs and their fans are utterly ambivalent about Scottish football. Some, sadly, are not educated about that mob and it can be a job for them to believe the truth (I always try to enlighten them about the unwashed). Only those that encounter them or understand actually despise them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merseyside_derby

Know your history.

"Religion is sometimes put forward as a reason for the split with Liverpool founder Houlding a prominent Orangeman and Everton's new chairman George Mahon a rival Liberal Home Ruleadvocating MP"

3 hours ago, Malvern said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merseyside_derby

Know your history.

"Religion is sometimes put forward as a reason for the split with Liverpool founder Houlding a prominent Orangeman and Everton's new chairman George Mahon a rival Liberal Home Ruleadvocating MP"

Can you provide a link (other than Wikipedia) that substantiates this? The facts that it was a Methodist football club is incontrovertible. Wiki still seeking to clarify the assertion. Until there is more than hearsay then I will refute the 'Catholic' tag. 

Of course you'll be fully aware, knowing your history, that Home Rule wasn't the sole province of Catholics. Its a mainstay of the argument against 'fenian' as a religious slur.

6 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

That might be the case but the support of Liverpool in the Republic of Ireland is staggering.

It out weighs the support of celtic massively 

24 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Can you provide a link (other than Wikipedia) that substantiates this? The facts that it was a Methodist football club is incontrovertible. Wiki still seeking to clarify the assertion. Until there is more than hearsay then I will refute the 'Catholic' tag. 

Of course you'll be fully aware, knowing your history, that Home Rule wasn't the sole province of Catholics. Its a mainstay of the argument against 'fenian' as a religious slur.

Why I should provide links to you is beyond me, your fingers not bloody working or something?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/question-of-religion-as-basis-for-support-still-contentious-1.1655070

Let me guess, the Irish Times will not be good enough for you next. Then please let me know who the fuck I should be getting quotes from to make sure you are informed without actually getting off your arse to do something about research yourself.

26 minutes ago, Malvern said:

Why I should provide links to you is beyond me, your fingers not bloody working or something?

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/question-of-religion-as-basis-for-support-still-contentious-1.1655070

Let me guess, the Irish Times will not be good enough for you next. Then please let me know who the fuck I should be getting quotes from to make sure you are informed without actually getting off your arse to do something about research yourself.

Toffeeweb’s Michael Kenrick remains unconvinced, pointing out that both clubs were founded by the same middle-class Protestants who were involved with St Domingo’s Methodist Church which gave Everton its name.

There appears to be little real evidence,” he contends, “to suggest any strong relationship between support of Everton and adherence to either the Catholic or Protestant faiths. Parental family ties appear to have been much stronger.

You, clearly, have no irrefutable proof given the content of the article you link to and the tenuous inference you take. :facepalm:

Its a suggestion that carries little weight. There has been no 'religious' basis for support of English clubs (bar Spurs to a small extent) in my lifetime (more than 50 years). In the UK it's, apparently, the preserve of parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland. I say this as an Englishman bought up on English football. The only people who try to label English clubs that way are fans from both sides of Glasgow.

My 'research' wasn't from google but a lifetime of football experience in England and an interest in the historical roots of football. It helps having been born English and living there for most of my life (other than a period living in G51 and then Renfrew). 

The one club that had some links to Catholic society was Manchester United when it was under the influence of Louis Rocca and Matt Busby. Even then there was no bar on Protestants playing for the club as most of the Busby Babes and subsequent players (including George Best) would attest. 

2 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Toffeeweb’s Michael Kenrick remains unconvinced, pointing out that both clubs were founded by the same middle-class Protestants who were involved with St Domingo’s Methodist Church which gave Everton its name.

There appears to be little real evidence,” he contends, “to suggest any strong relationship between support of Everton and adherence to either the Catholic or Protestant faiths. Parental family ties appear to have been much stronger.

You, clearly, have no irrefutable proof given the content of the article you link to and the tenuous inference you take. :facepalm:

Its a suggestion that carries little weight. There has been no 'religious' basis for support of English clubs (bar Spurs to a small extent) in my lifetime (more than 50 years). In the UK it's, apparently, the preserve of parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland. I say this as an Englishman bought up on English football. The only people who try to label English clubs that way are fans from both sides of Glasgow.

My 'research' wasn't from google but a lifetime of football experience in England and an interest in the historical roots of football. It helps having been born English and living there for most of my life (other than a period living in G51 and then Renfrew). 

The one club that had some links to Catholic society was Manchester United when it was under the influence of Louis Rocca and Matt Busby. Even then there was no bar on Protestants playing for the club as most of the Busby Babes and subsequent players (including George Best) would attest. 

I never said Liverpool were protestant, point out where I did please. I said they were not Catholic which you have just confirmed as well.

As far as you living in England goes bully for you, the weather is better down there most days but that means what to me? Does it mean I don't know about English clubs as I live in Scotland?

last thing, irrefutable proof of what? I never claimed anything other than an Orange man founded Liverpool, I never said they were proddies.

10 minutes ago, Malvern said:

I never said Liverpool were protestant, point out where I did please. I said they were not Catholic which you have just confirmed as well.

As far as you living in England goes bully for you, the weather is better down there most days but that means what to me? Does it mean I don't know about English clubs as I live in Scotland?

last thing, irrefutable proof of what? I never claimed anything other than an Orange man founded Liverpool, I never said they were proddies.

Then there's no reason to have quoted my post about Everton NOT being a Catholic club???? That was the entire point of the post that I made and you jumped on. My assertion had absolutely nothing to do with Liverpool and everything to do with the fallacy of Everton being a Catholic club.

Try comprehending the point of the post you took issue with, or point out in it where I dispute Liverpools origins (St. Domingos Methodist chapel?) or the Orangeness of its founder? I'll be waiting a long time if you attempt the latter.

Not just 'living in England' actually born and bred English so very much 'bully for me'. :UK:

It does appear you have, entirely, misconstrued the whole of the premise.

5 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Then there's no reason to have quoted my post about Everton NOT being a Catholic club???? That was the entire point of the post that I made and you jumped on. My assertion had absolutely nothing to do with Liverpool and everything to do with the fallacy of Everton being a Catholic club.

Try comprehending the point of a post you take issue with, or point out in it where I dispute Liverpools origins (St. Domingos Methodist chapel?) or the Orangeness of its founder? I'll be waiting a long time if you attempt the latter.

The point I take issue with is that the scum and Liverpool are linked.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/leading-orangemen-women-feature-new-13970756

You won't have to wait long for the last point.

Just now, Malvern said:

The point I take issue with is that the scum and Liverpool are linked.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/leading-orangemen-women-feature-new-13970756

You won't have to wait long for the last point.

They are only linked in the minds of celtic fans. Its much like every other club they try to latch in to!

Now show me where I said Liverpool were a Catholic club or even linked to celtic (other than through a couple of players)?? You won't be able to, other posters have, but my point is that religion has had no major part (other than Spurs and that's tenuous) in English football allegiance in living memory. Family ties and glory hunting are light years ahead as factors in who you support. The last major influence religion had in English football was on Peter Knowles.

On 05/04/2018 at 15:26, .Williamson. said:

That might be the case but the support of Liverpool in the Republic of Ireland is staggering.

It out weighs the support of celtic massively 

When they played the taigs at the Aviva it was a sea of red, could barely see any taig tops.

There are plenty of ROI fans that support either Liverpool or Man Utd.  To their credit they have never tried to put a religious angle on football and having been at Anfield against City there were hundreds of flags but nothing remotely linked to celtic.   As posted above the religious aspect doesn’t get raised at English grounds.   

On 7/4/2018 at 22:07, andyhrfc said:

There are plenty of ROI fans that support either Liverpool or Man Utd.  To their credit they have never tried to put a religious angle on football and having been at Anfield against City there were hundreds of flags but nothing remotely linked to celtic.   As posted above the religious aspect doesn’t get raised at English grounds.   

Many of them are irish republicans though. 

Doesnt matter if they don’t voice it at games, they’re still filthy bastards within your support 

42 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I hope City pull something out the bag tonight 

I just arrived in Hyde Manchester. Dodgy drive across the Peak district road. Misty and pishing it down. But the sun is coming out now. 

It would be lovely to witness in person a stunning comeback tonight.

5-1 is what I'm tempted to get on.. 

Archived