Your first ever Rangers game?

Loyaleastend

October 1973 Got a "Lift over" to see us beat hibs 4-0  Sandy scored 2, Alfie's a barrel got 1 and JG got the other. As above, I learnt that a crash helmet would be a good idea and to avoid the streams running down the derry.:lol: 

Is safe standing a good idea? :mutley:

I remember watching the 73 cup final against them when Big jaws scored that "Screamer" and I was determined aged 10 that I would go to games. Beat them 3-2 in front of a 120 odd thousand crowd. Crazy to think of that size of crowd.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearts at Tynecastle  SSeptember 1968   result  1  1   I was 8

Uncle was a jambo and dad watched junior but as my older cousin was dsting Ronnie McKinnon I was Rangers mad. Think they were trying to get me to be a jambo but I wasn't having it so dad started going to rangers games to take me. Next game was first trip to Ibrox a few weeks later.  Played Dunfermline think we won 4 1

November 1961 . We played Dundee and lost 5-1 . It was still the biggest defeat I had seen until last season. A certain Alan Gilzean scored 4 goals. Dundee went on to win the league and following season got to the European Cup semi final. Ralph Brand scored for us and we played in a blue and white stripped jerseys 

1 minute ago, onefootwillie said:

November 1961 . We played Dundee and lost 5-1 . It was still the biggest defeat I had seen until last season. A certain Alan Gilzean scored 4 goals. Dundee went on to win the league and following season got to the European Cup semi final. Ralph Brand scored for us and we played in a blue and white stripped jerseys 

Was that vertical stripes like the old Kilmarnock ones? I'm sure we had that as an away(2nd) top in the 60's

Just now, LochendBilly said:

Was that vertical stripes like the old Kilmarnock ones? I'm sure we had that as an away(2nd) top in the 60's

Yeh pretty much like that . I can't remember if we had blue or white shorts . Dundee played in Dark blue so that might have been the reason. Also pretty sure it was played under floodlights 

Yeah I think it's amazing that some of us on here can remember there first game. My mind is hopeless with things like that. Certain games stick out in my head. Remember being at Ibrox when there was no Broomloan and a think we played Juventas. Remember playing Cologne at home and getting hammered 5-1 away of them. Being in the Govan rear at the front when it got opened and we played Liverpool when the players took alternate shots at kicking footballs into the stand. Not sure if they were signed by all the players. But fuzzy memory these days and only 45. ?

10 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

First ever Sunday game I believe , lost 3-0 to Dundee in Scottish cup.

my dad said I was a jinx and wasn't to go back. Only took me 40  years to realise he was right, but I still go back. 

65,000 there and Dundee manager was Davie White.

12 hours ago, Loyaleastend said:

As an older bear who can remember the times when Rangers were rebuilding the stadium and  managed by John Greig,  my first memories are a  game V Aberdeen when we won by a margin I don't remember  ,  I think the Copland road had no stand at all at that stage and just a fence as works were ongoing, Greig said in his book that it did affect the atmosphere of the stadium, which of course it did, and will at Tynecastle, we were pretty bad back then but I was just chuffed to finally be at Ibrox.

You are just a boy Mate

I go back to when a young John Greig was just breaking into the team.

I was fortunate enough to watch the Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow et al team 

Was at Ibrox some time in the early eighties against Dufc. Can't remember the exact year, but we lost 2-1 and I remember Ian Redford scoring our goal. Fist game against septic was the 4-4 game at Ibrox, probably the only game in history that both sets of fans went home happy.