Pena

cushynumber

Just now, harlands plater said:

So why did this star come to this backwater?

A gateway to the riches of Europe. We're just a stepping stone. IF he does well then we make a penny and he gets the big move. IF he doesn't then he'll be back off to his homeland with welcome arms. It's 

We need to support all of our players, even just for the benefit of some positivity. We're not going to win anything OR make any money on our players IF we keep putting them down. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, VentyFour said:

More clowns in our support. If their not abusing our manager then it's our players. Spoilt wee brats that are hindering our club. 

Mexican football is far superior to ours in every way and this guy was a star over there. It'll take time, AND support from our SUPPORTERS, for him to adapt to the backwater of Scottish football. It can't be easy coming from such a technical league into one of the worst leagues in professional football. 

The irony of this, all you have done since you stared posting is abusing our supporters who have a different opinion than you.

I have to trust my instincts here ans say that I don't think he is going to be anything near a very good player for us. Often in circumstances like this you hear the example of Mark Hateley given, suggesting that he only hit form after a few months, but he came into a very good side, and with two established forwards playing alongside him; it's not Hateley wasn't a good player, it was that he wasn't necessarily a first pick among those other players, his class was very evident from the beginning though. With Pena, you can see he gets into very good positions, you can see he uses the ball well at times, but can he get any better than the way he plays at the moment? I don't think so; this looks to be him at his best, and his best won't be good enough. I want him to do well, and I think for many other clubs he would be a good player, but not for this club. If he proves me wrong, I will gladly be wrong.

He does make decent runs into the box, but linking with Morelos has been hit and miss partly down to Morelos and possibly game time, he looks more like an attacking forward than a midfielder and with Miller struggling so far maybe a start tomorrow night up front will hopefully shows more of his capabilities.

How can anyone make a proper judgement on Pena?  He hasn't played more than half an hour in any game.  Made 5 appearances and one of them was in a pre-season friendly against Marseille where he didn't look out of place for the 24 minutes he played.  Brought on against Hibs with 25 minutes left when we were down to 10 men and 3- 1 down. Less than half an hour on the park against each of Ross County, Dundee and Partick.   The guy needs to be played from the start and given a run.

2 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

How can anyone make a proper judgement on Pena?  He hasn't played more than half an hour in any game.  Made 5 appearances and one of them was in a pre-season friendly against Marseille where he didn't look out of place for the 24 minutes he played.  Brought on against Hibs with 25 minutes left when we were down to 10 men and 3- 1 down. Less than half an hour on the park against each of Ross County, Dundee and Partick.   The guy needs to be played from the start and given a run.

I would agree with you if I saw evidence of him making an impact on a game; even as a sub, or especially as a sub; that would be a huge indication if he was as good as what we were led to believe. I like the fact he gets into positions, and that he is neat and tidy on the ball; but I think we are looking for more than that. I hope he can improve, but there must be doubts about that.

16 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I would agree with you if I saw evidence of him making an impact on a game; even as a sub, or especially as a sub; that would be a huge indication if he was as good as what we were led to believe. I like the fact he gets into positions, and that he is neat and tidy on the ball; but I think we are looking for more than that. I hope he can improve, but there must be doubts about that.

You need to know how team mates play to make an impact.  You need to know what runs they make.   You only find that out by game time.  I have said before that he played over 40 games in the Mexican top flight last year and isn't some dud.  He may not fit in here for whatever reason but he needs to be given the opportunity to impress.   If he had played for 90 minutes in every game and made no impression fair enough but for fans to judge him on the game time he has had is simply ludicrous.    People need to realise that we haven't signed Messi or Neymar, we have simply signed a reasonable Mexican International.   Caixinha needs to play the guy (and Herrera).

10 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

You need to know how team mates play to make an impact.  You need to know what runs they make.   You only find that out by game time.  I have said before that he played over 40 games in the Mexican top flight last year and isn't some dud.  He may not fit in here for whatever reason but he needs to be given the opportunity to impress.   If he had played for 90 minutes in every game and made no impression but for fans to judge him on the game time he has had is simply ludicrous.    People need to realise that we haven't signed Messi or Neymar, we have simply signed a reasonable Mexican International.   Caixinha needs to play the guy (and Herrera).

I don't see his fitness as as problem; he looks fit enough. Does he appear to have natural pace; is he strong on the ball; can he cut in or out and cause chances for forwards? I've not seen any evidence of that, so far. Maybe tomorrow is the time he should start from the beginning and see what he is like from the start of a match.

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

I don't see his fitness as as problem; he looks fit enough. Does he appear to have natural pace; is he strong on the ball; can he cut in or out and cause chances for forwards? I've not seen any evidence of that, so far. Maybe tomorrow is the time he should start from the beginning and see what he is like for the start of a match.

From the little we have seen of him here he looks fit enough.  He also looks quite agile to me.  You have basically highlighted my point that he hasn't played enough for anyone to judge and for him to understand how team mates play.  

Just now, JCDBigBear said:

From the little we have seen of him here he looks fit enough.  He also looks quite agile to me.  You have basically highlighted my point that he hasn't played enough for anyone to judge and for him to understand how team mates play.  

I had high hopes for him, which is the biggest disappointment for me. I thought he would be an impact midfielder, something we haven't really had for a while; a pacy creative time, strong on the ball, and full of endeavour. I find him neat and tidy, but nothing special in terms of what he gives to what we already have. As you say, we need to find out by playing him more.

This stuff about him needing time to adapt is just a shite excuse IMO.

I could understand if somebody like Morelos needed time to settle. He's only 21 and has made a massive step up but he is already playing and scoring goals for us like he's been here for years.

I get that players settle at different rates but it's not like he's a young kid is it? He's a 27 year old full international and for the money we spent on him - and with the experience he has as a player - we should be expecting a guy who can come in and be professional enough to immediately be available do a job.

I think a lot of people are getting caught-up in Warburton-like nonsense. "He's making the right runs", "he's getting into good positions", etc.

Nine-out-of-ten times, when Pena's had the ball, he's done fuck all with it.

As has been mentioned by numerous posters, he barely even looks like a footballer. Making runs and getting into positions means nothing when, with the ball at your feet, your shite.

I'm not expecting five defence-splitting passes per-game or 30-yard screamers, but I am expecting a player who can control a ball and pass it to a team-mate.

1 minute ago, Gaffbear said:

There must be fitba player in there for him to get games for Mexico.. .

I'm hopeful he'll just click one day and we'll  all be blown away but saying that I'm hopeful Michelle Keegan will dump that fanny Mark and come to me ???

Efrain Juarez.

Archived