Pena

cushynumber

1 hour ago, Turnberry18 said:

Imagine someone hadn't seen this match and you were describing his two goals, both goals from close range- a close range shot, and a close range header. However, that aside, when have we last had a player who scored close range goals of that quality? Last season I remember making a point that we didn't really have a player who separated us from the rest, Kranjcar was injured at the time, but perhaps in Pena we have that player. I think he reminds me a little of Cannigia, in that his movement, positional sense, and the way he takes the ball is distinctively better than most of what is around him; for instance, Cannigia and De Boer were three moves ahead of everyone else at times,. Maybe Pena has that ability, and maybe he is going to get better, as the manager suggests; in that sense he is an exciting player for this club, because the potential is there for all to see that he can get better.

I said at the time myself, it wasn't just tap-in's look how he reacts especially the first one they were both two cracking finishes even the header look at the way he headers it with curve so it's hitting the inside of the corner of the net and still curling just to make sure of the finish.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Agreed. There's been plenty of occasions where he's already ahead of the play and the rest of the players aren't upto speed. He's such an intelligent footballer and he's only going to get better and better.

An on form partnership of Morelos and Pena will do damage to any side in Scotland, including that lot who are already not looking the team they were last season, even with their unbeaten run.

There was something telling about those goals the other night, when did we ever see Tavernier, in all his time here, hit crosses from those areas to the back post? Caixinha was much malinged in his comments about training, but Tavernier seemed rather confident that there was a touch of class waiting at the end of his good deliveries.

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I said at the time myself, it wasn't just tap-in's look how he reacts especially the first one they were both two cracking finishes even the header look at the way he headers it with curve so it's hitting the inside of the corner of the net and still curling just to make sure of the finish.

Yeah, exactly, and he is slightly off balance for the header, yet he places it near post; he's almost on his back foot. This guy has definite quality when he is on the ball and the positions he finds for himself.

5 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Of course people are entitled to their opinion but that includes me and that's that some of their opinions are ridiculous. Some of the words used like shite and worst signing ever - he clearly isn't either of those two. A hefty price-tag yes, but we've got a return from him already with more to come IMO.

I'll hold my hand up and say I saw him as a dud. All his goals have been well taken and while I am still sceptical over his ability I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He certainly isn't the worst I've ever seen in a Rangers jersey 

4 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

There was something telling about those goals the other night, when did we ever see Tavernier, in all his time here, hit crosses from those areas to the back post? Caixinha was much malinged in his comments about training, but Tavernier seemed rather confident that there was a touch of class waiting at the end of his good deliveries.

Warburton wanted us to play a short passing game.  I image crossed balls in to the box were discouraged and our corner routines (or lack thereof) would support that.  We wanted to pass the ball around like we were Arsenal. 

6 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Of course people are entitled to their opinion but that includes me and that's that some of their opinions are ridiculous. Some of the words used like shite and worst signing ever - he clearly isn't either of those two. A hefty price-tag yes, but we've got a return from him already with more to come IMO.

Every one is entitled to there opinion but it is at times frustrating - rather than give the guy a chance (when he had not earned the dud tag all things considered) he is written off by those that come along and say i'll hold my hands up.  

I am not trying to take the told you so stance on this as I didn't know he would come good but I think starting position should be to give him and any others a chance prior to 'shite' and 'worst ever' etc in particular when signs were there, that the guy can play.

1 hour ago, MisterC said:

I'll hold my hand up and say I saw him as a dud. All his goals have been well taken and while I am still sceptical over his ability I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He certainly isn't the worst I've ever seen in a Rangers jersey 

I was quite the opposite.  I said, and say, there's a player in there I just thought he needed more time to get match fit.

I'm just bemused that given how long he's been here, and how many breaks there's been for a mini pre-seasons, just how off the pace he is.

I'll not knock his finishes. And off the ball he loves to go forward beyond the striker. But on the ball he is fucking awful. Not even junior league.

I think we need to accept if we are willing to accept little in a footballing sense but a player who will back up morelos quickly then pena is our man. And might get 15 to 20 goals.

If we want a true number 10 then we've got the wrong player who actually struggles to control a ball never mind play sublime passes.

Fuck knows how it'll pan out.

40 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I was quite the opposite.  I said, and say, there's a player in there I just thought he needed more time to get match fit.

I'm just bemused that given how long he's been here, and how many breaks there's been for a mini pre-seasons, just how off the pace he is.

I'll not knock his finishes. And off the ball he loves to go forward beyond the striker. But on the ball he is fucking awful. Not even junior league.

I think we need to accept if we are willing to accept little in a footballing sense but a player who will back up morelos quickly then pena is our man. And might get 15 to 20 goals.

If we want a true number 10 then we've got the wrong player who actually struggles to control a ball never mind play sublime passes.

There was a moment in the second half where he made a pass with the outside of his boot down the right wing first time was sublime! Think he just lacks match sharpness and a bit of confidence mainly. He will come good and could even turn into a bit of a cult legend for us. This team will get better and better with time and wins like the past couple will give the players confidence as a team and perform better 

6 minutes ago, MrMckee said:

There was a moment in the second half where he made a pass with the outside of his boot down the right wing first time was sublime! Think he just lacks match sharpness and a bit of confidence mainly. He will come good and could even turn into a bit of a cult legend for us. This team will get better and better with time and wins like the past couple will give the players confidence as a team and perform better 

That pass was excellent.

Slightly better than the touch and strike at the edge of their box that he knocked to their forward on our half way line.

Or the early strike that knocked out six flood lights.

But yeah was good.

58 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

He has touch though; sometimes the passes he makes, particularly advancing forward and he lays it off to a wide player, have a look of class about them. I admit his use of the ball is mostly not that great, but there is a definite player there. 

4 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

He has touch though; sometimes the passes he makes, particularly advancing forward and he lays it off to a wide player, have a look of class about them. I admit his use of the ball is mostly not that great, but there is a definite player there. 

Yes but how long does it take to bring that to an acceptable level?

The touch I mentionned.

The milleresque one that should have led to a red card last week.

The multitude of touches that bounce off him or end up lost. Its awful.

I'd stick with him but on evidence he's not a good footballer but knows how to get into an attacking position and finish. Can't play footie but can finish.

Not shite but not good.

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Yes but how long does it take to bring that to an acceptable level?

The touch I mentionned.

The milleresque one that should have led to a red card last week.

The multitude of touches that bounce off him or end up lost. Its awful.

I'd stick with him but on evidence he's not a good footballer but knows how to get into an attacking position and finish. Can't play footie but can finish.

Not shite but not good.

I don’t know many not shite but not good players that have a goals to minute ratio like him from midfield tbf, he plays like a target man for me

Having Pena and Morelos playing together will be great because if ones getting marked it will make it easier for the other to get space, that’s what happened on Friday, Morelos occupied the defenders and made the space for Pena to get into scoring positions. 

8 minutes ago, Siwel said:

I don’t know many not shite but not good players that have a goals to minute ratio like him from midfield tbf, he plays like a target man for me

I just don't know. He looks great at driving the play forward, supporting the striker, getting in advance positions, taking chances...

But for as decent as he looks at that he looks 5 times worse as a footballer capable of playing in Scottish juniors than the worst junior player I know.

It's utterly baffling.

7 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Having Pena and Morelos playing together will be great because if ones getting marked it will make it easier for the other to get space, that’s what happened on Friday, Morelos occupied the defenders and made the space for Pena to get into scoring positions. 

I think morelos needs a partner.

Not so sure a Pena type is that partner

3 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Warburton wanted us to play a short passing game.  I image crossed balls in to the box were discouraged and our corner routines (or lack thereof) would support that.  We wanted to pass the ball around like we were Arsenal. 

Your premise is correct, however, even under MW there were loads of balls fired across the box and absolutely no one prepared to attack them so seeing Pena do so is quite refreshing.  Hope he keeps it up. 

10 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Your premise is correct, however, even under MW there were loads of balls fired across the box and absolutely no one prepared to attack them so seeing Pena do so is quite refreshing.  Hope he keeps it up. 

Someone said "when did we ever see Tavernier, in all his time here, hit crosses from those areas to the back post".  I would argue that Warburton discouraged Tavernier from hitting crosses and perhaps we're seeing the player do it more now because the shackles of Warburton's tactics have been removed.  Warburton wanted short passing play, Pedro wants crosses in to the box, so it's a tactical switch.  Having guys to get on the end of those crosses is a good thing and Morelos and Pena both look like they can do that which is great for us.

5 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I think morelos needs a partner.

Not so sure a Pena type is that partner

I'd say the perfect partner for morelos would be Moult. Both really aggressive characters who can hold the ball up and give the defence a reason to mark them. Both have the desire to run down the ball and put on good pressure. 

If they don't get goals themselves then the midfielders or wingers who come into the box will have an easier tine with it. 

His timing of arriving in the box and finding space is impeccable, his finishing is really good aswell.

A far cry from getting into an advanced position to cross into the box and looking up to see Garner in the midfield having a wee wrestling match with somebody needlessly instead of being the attacker we thought would be attacking cross balls.

I think the thing making him look clumsy just now is the bounce of the ball, it has been mentioned that the bounce can make you look silly and the bounce here on wet pitches would be totally different to what he is used to in Mexico.

That and the lack of time he gets on the ball playing for Rangers with teams packing defences, i disagree that the pace of the game in Scotland is too fast for him because any Mexican football i have seen (admittedly not much) has been fast and free flowing.

I think he is only going to get better and after Christmas we will see him really come into his own and look a lot more comfortable.

I got told he is rumoured to be the highest paid player in Scottish football at the moment, so lets hope he does justify the outlay the club has put towards bringing him here.

The guys confidence is at an all time low, he has moved away from his country for the first time. You can see all thd players reaction to him scoring. 

Everyone wants this lad to be a star.

Watch him, his movement is superb, His finishing in the box has been deadly.  

Guy hasnt even had 10 games yet. 

Who knows Herrera could even be a partner for Morelos, Pena in behind.

Get them all on the Pitch.

Archived