Pena

cushynumber

50 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I don't know what the Spanish 2nd tier is like but I would rate Mexican football only behind a few European leagues and ahead of many.  I believe Mexico is ranked 14  by FIFA and first in the Concacaf area at international level.

What ive seen of it its extremely counterattacking and fast.. I would rate it higher than the Spanish 2nd tier but behind the top level La Liga. Went to see Malaga vs Eibar on monday night and it wasnt fantastic.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

I don't know what the Spanish 2nd tier is like but I would rate Mexican football only behind a few European leagues and ahead of many.  I believe Mexico is ranked 14  by FIFA and first in the Concacaf area at international level.

I watched Guadalajara vs Santos the other night and it was full of really poor passing and no one catching the off the ball runs of their team mates. Pretty bad stuff. Only one game but.

59 minutes ago, The Tavernator said:

I watched Guadalajara vs Santos the other night and it was full of really poor passing and no one catching the off the ball runs of their team mates. Pretty bad stuff. Only one game but.

I watched Hajduk Split v Everton and that was pretty poor apart from the two goals.   Everton are supposedly on the way up according to the TV clowns.   I'm sure we could all cite a poor game in any league but I still think that in general Mexican football will be a far better standard than many other European leagues.

You don't become one of the best players if not best players in Mexico overall for nothing and reach the national team praised for nothing, he was there because he was talented, obviously he let his fitness drop, so I think once he's up to speed he will prove good. Hope he does, he could potentially be that key to opening defences and getting us goals.

Guest Lloyd72

‘WHERE IS CARLOS PENA?’ 

Rangers paid over £2million for Mexican midfielder Carlos Pena..fans have a right to know why he’s hardly kicked a ball, says Kris Boyd

Alarm bells must be ringing out loud behind the scenes at the club. If not, they should be

By Kris Boyd

25th August 2017, 10:31 pm

REMEMBER Where’s Wally — the kids’ book where they had to find the character hiding in the background?

It came to mind this week when I was thinking about Rangers.

Because the one big question I have right now is ‘Where is Carlos Pena?’

For those who can’t remember WHO he actually is, he’s the Mexican midfielder Rangers paid over £2million for in the summer.

By all accounts he’s on big wages at Ibrox, having signed a three-year contract that basically has him in with the bricks.

I’m sorry, but the Rangers fans have a right to ask what on earth is going on there.

They’ve got a right to know why Pena has hardly kicked a ball.

At 27, he should be at the peak of his career and playing every week. But he’s literally nowhere to be seen.

I just cannot get my head around it and find it utterly staggering that he’s virtually gone missing.

Did I miss something with Rangers?

Have they suddenly got fortunes to waste on players who aren’t playing?

Listen, I know I have never been the fittest player in the world but I’ve always been able to play games. I’ve always been available for selection.

Pena has only made one appearance for Rangers since joining the club and that was as a substitute for 25 minutes against Hibs.

The rest of the time he’s nowhere to be seen.

What is going on?

Alarm bells must be ringing out loud behind the scenes at the club. If not, they should be.

Is he giving Rangers everything he’s got? Is he doing all he can to get into the team and help out?

That’s what I want to know because there was a suggestion he was late for Rangers’ game against Dunfermline, which didn’t go down well with his manager who is committed to giving his top signing the best opportunity.

Pena has only played once since signing in June

But maybe Pena is doing all he can to get fit.

It’s just a bizarre situation for a player Rangers brought to the club as one of their big summer signings.

He is their equivalent of Scott Sinclair at Celtic. The Englishman came to Celtic Park on similar money and has ripped it up.

He’s proved to be superb value — the complete opposite, so far, of Pena.

But it’s maybe another example of how we don’t treat our own players in this country with enough respect.

Graham Dorrans and Ryan Jack have come into the club and immediately given it everything they’ve got.

But I would bet Pena is on far bigger wages than those two.

Put it this way, towards the end of his tenure at Rangers Mark Warburton was crucified for his recruitment.

The former gaffer was given a hard time for the signings he made.

But you could argue that the Rangers squad isn’t any better off now than it was when Warburton was in charge.

Caixinha came in and one of the first things he did was have a clear-out.

I know some of the guys he punted have done well in the last few weeks — guys like Michael O’Halloran, Joe Garner, Martyn Waghorn and Barrie McKay all scoring goals.

But for me McKay was the only one who could have had a future at Ibrox.

One thing’s for sure, Rangers are already under a bit of pressure, even this early in the season.

I’m not going to say the game with Ross County is a ‘must win’ because in my book every game Rangers play could be described that way.

But there’s no doubt Caixinha needs to get this team picking up points.

St Johnstone, Celtic and Aberdeen are all pulling away from them and that doesn’t bode well.

I just look at this Rangers team and think games don’t come much bigger than this next one — they need to start winning at all costs.

It’s not good enough drawing at home to Hearts and losing to Hibs, and I don’t mean that as any disrespect to those two clubs.

It’s just not the way it should be when you think of the budgets.

Look at the Rangers squad and there are some serious questions marks over a number of their signings. The jury is most definitely out on a lot of them.

But they need everyone pulling in the one direction.

Will Pena be there to give them a helping hand in Dingwall? Will he suddenly appear and start showing everyone in Scottish football what he’s about?

I’d genuinely like to see what he has to offer. It could be that he’s a top player and Rangers are lucky to have him.

It could be that he’s going to take Scottish football by storm.

But before he can do that he needs to get on the pitch.

Someone needs to find him.

12 minutes ago, RangersScotty9 said:

You don't become one of the best players if not best players in Mexico overall for nothing and reach the national team praised for nothing, he was there because he was talented, obviously he let his fitness drop, so I think once he's up to speed he will prove good. Hope he does, he could potentially be that key to opening defences and getting us goals.

Efrain Juarez.

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Efrain Juarez.

Oh sure there's always that possibility but I suppose it depends on the individual and how they adapt. Mexican football itself is entirely different to the Scottish game, I hope he does adapt, probably what he's been doing in training is preparing for it. I don't expect an immediate impact from him though.

Just thought I'd throw this in here, although about what Ryan Jack is saying he does give mention of his own personal thoughts on Peña and Herrera saying:

“Herrera and Pena have definitely got ability. There’s no doubt about that – you see it in training."

Thought I'd share this because the rumours were that Peña looked off? It's good to at least see this come from a player's mouth who is an important player for us. I think Jack will be starting as well, such a key player and already become one of my favourites. I think it has been a shock for them as well. I would like to hope we see some action of him against Ross County later today.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/846288/Rangers-Ryan-Jack-Ross-County

10 minutes ago, RangersScotty9 said:

Just thought I'd throw this in here, although about what Ryan Jack is saying he does give mention of his own personal thoughts on Peña and Herrera saying:

Thought I'd share this because the rumours were that Peña looked off? It's good to at least see this come from a player's mouth who is an important player for us. I think Jack will be starting as well, such a key player and already become one of my favourites. I think it has been a shock for them as well. I would like to hope we see some action of him against Ross County later today.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/846288/Rangers-Ryan-Jack-Ross-County

He's no gonny say he's shit in all seriousness.

1 minute ago, gmcf said:

Thought did well when he came on , was a visible link for the midfield and forwards. 

A few games under his belt and I think he could be a big player for us. 

A far better option than Kranjcar anyway. A few games needed to get up to speed and hopefully he'll be an asset.

Considering he's still bursting out his arse he did well. He's got great movement off the ball and was getting behind the Ross County defence with ease. With confidence and match fitness I reckon he'll come good.

It can't help that he doesn't speak English.

11 minutes ago, the brown brogue said:

A far better option than Kranjcar anyway. A few games needed to get up to speed and hopefully he'll be an asset.

Yeah Kranjcar seems to slow the game down a bit . Don't think the hustle and bustle of Scottish football suits him , particularly at that age . 

Archived