Pena

cushynumber

15 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

I think a lot of people are getting caught-up in Warburton-like nonsense. "He's making the right runs", "he's getting into good positions", etc.

Nine-out-of-ten times, when Pena's had the ball, he's done fuck all with it.

As has been mentioned by numerous posters, he barely even looks like a footballer. Making runs and getting into positions means nothing when, with the ball at your feet, your shite.

I'm not expecting five defence-splitting passes per-game or 30-yard screamers, but I am expecting a player who can control a ball and pass it to a team-mate.

He's a neat player, meaning he will give the ball to the guy next to him, but with little or no creativity to his game beyond that. If he is going to prove many of us wrong then his game is going to have to improve rather radically for that to happen. I personally don't see that being possible, on what I've seen so far.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

I think a lot of people are getting caught-up in Warburton-like nonsense. "He's making the right runs", "he's getting into good positions", etc.

As has been mentioned by numerous posters, he barely even looks like a footballer. Making runs and getting into positions means nothing when, with the ball at your feet, your shite.

I'm not expecting five defence-splitting passes per-game or 30-yard screamers, but I am expecting a player who can control a ball and pass it to a team-mate.

I'm astonished that you can try to judge Pena or anyone else on the game time he has had.  I'm not known for my patience at players, management etc but even I would like to see him play a few games before judging him.  

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

I'm astonished that you can try to judge Pena or anyone else on the game time he has had.  I'm not known for my patience at players, management etc but even I would like to see him play a few games before judging him.  

This 100% 

How can we judge someone's ability on a handful of substitute appearances?? 

Ok he was badly out of shape when he came here  but we need to see him start and get a run of games before folk start slating him. He's came from a completely different culture so we need to give him time. 

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

Ally would agree with this and so do I, how quickly did we turn on him at first?

EDIT: In his playing career, not the managerial abortion.

1 hour ago, Malvern said:

Ally would agree with this and so do I, how quickly did we turn on him at first?

EDIT: In his playing career, not the managerial abortion.

Hateley and Wilkins also got stick and not just for a few games, it was for months until they found their feet.

4 hours ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

making good runs and finding space is not "Warburton nonsense " mate. These concepts are fundamental to the game of football.

Just now, .Williamson. said:

He is fucking garbage mate. There's no point dressing it up, he's useless

None of us have seen him play long enough to come to that conclusion.  I don't know why people have made up their minds on him when he hasn't played for half an hour in any game.  I haven't decided one way or another but I doubt that anybody who played over 40 games in the Mexican top tier last year would be "garbage".    Leon and Guadalajara are top teams and Pena also has 19 caps for Mexico.

22 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

None of us have seen him play long enough to come to that conclusion.  I don't know why people have made up their minds on him when he hasn't played for half an hour in any game.  I haven't decided one way or another but I doubt that anybody who played over 40 games in the Mexican top tier last year would be "garbage".    Leon and Guadalajara are top teams and Pena also has 19 caps for Mexico.

Efrain Juarez has double that, means nothing.

There's absolutely no fucking place, in this day and age, for any player* to express any religious practice on the park.

Pena should be telt.

Religious expression by players should be banned by fifa.

Leave all religious expression to the fans :)

*with the exception of Gazza playing the flute.

45 minutes ago, baxterboy said:

There's absolutely no fucking place, in this day and age, for any player* to express any religious practice on the park.

Pena should be telt.

the flute is not a religious expression and I couldn't give a fuck if they were muslim simulating setting off a bomb if they can score 30-40 a season.

2 hours ago, baxterboy said:

Pena should be telt.

Gabby Amato crossed himself coming on against the tims, scored a cracker and set up another brilliantly.   He was an outstanding player for us.  I'm not into religious expressions in sport but if players do the business for The Rangers then that is good enough for me.  

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

4th and 8th in Mexico, canny be that good.

Clutching at straws a bit with that comment.  You clearly don't like the guy and it it can't be to do with football as we haven't seen enough of him to judge properly.  Are you seriously telling us on here that you have formed an opinion on his ability on the odd 25 minutes of play as a substitute in only 4 games?

1 minute ago, JCDBigBear said:

Clutching at straws a bit with that comment.  You clearly don't like the guy and it it can't be to do with football as we haven't seen enough of him to judge properly.  Are you seriously telling us on here that you have formed an opinion on his ability on the odd 25 minutes of play as a substitute in only 4 games?

No, I'm not.

Yes, I think he looks dreadful.

Just now, JCDBigBear said:

My instinct tells me that if there was anything to see it would be evident, even in that short time. I would love him to prove me wrong, but I see nothing that stands out that makes me think he will succeed. He has some attributes; as I said earlier he is neat on the ball etc, but for us I see nothing of note, in terms of him impacting us in any major way.

We have signed a lot of players in the past who didn't hit the ground running  and it took a lot longer than 4 appearances of 25 minutes.   I would defy you to name more than a handful of players we have signed in the last 12 years who got off to a flyer with us.  The majority took weeks of full games to settle into the team's play and look as if they would do the business.  Why is it only Pena getting such criticism?   We have had games this season already where Dorrans and Jack have "disappeared" in games for at least 25 minutes.  I'm not getting at these players just stating that has happened.

16 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

We have signed a lot of players in the past who didn't hit the ground running  and it took a lot longer than 4 appearances of 25 minutes.   I would defy you to name more than a handful of players we have signed in the last 12 years who got off to a flyer with us.  The majority took weeks of full games to settle into the team's play and look as if they would do the business.  Why is it only Pena getting such criticism?   We have had games this season already where Dorrans and Jack have "disappeared" in games for at least 25 minutes.  I'm not getting at these players just stating that has happened.

As soon as I saw Steven Davis. which I think was at Tynecastle but I could be wrong, I knew he was a very good player. Prso, Kevin Thomson, Novo, Mendes, Cousin; these players all had something that you could see, regardless of instant form. I don't see that with Pena.

Archived