Pena

cushynumber

12 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

As soon as I saw Steven Davis. which I think was at Tynecastle but I could be wrong, I knew he was a very good player. Prso, Kevin Thomson, Novo, Mendes, Cousin; these players all had something that you could see, regardless of instant form. I don't see that with Pena.

Not surprised as he has hardly been on the park which is my point.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting article in http://espndeportes.espn.com/futbol/mexico/nota/_/id/2880071/los-10-pecados-de-gullit-pena No one ever seems to question his ability but the article raises loads of questions about his attitude.  One part comments that he is not a playmaker and doesnt like the role which I found interesting.  Perhaps play him up front with Morelos??

2 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Gabby Amato crossed himself coming on against the tims, scored a cracker and set up another brilliantly.   He was an outstanding player for us.  I'm not into religious expressions in sport but if players do the business for The Rangers then that is good enough for me.  

It makes piss all sense and is a contradiction to say you are "not into religious expression in sport" then say 'aw, it's ok if they do it and play well.'   

Whether Amato or Pena or anyone else does it, there's absolutely no place for public religious expression in sport by players regardless of sect.

Players that wants to cross themselves or kneel to allah or perform any religious ritual should do it privately in the dressing room or lavvy before entering the pitch.

It is only a matter of time before all forms of public religious expression by players is banned by fifa.

This ban will occur either from common sense, or after a stupid cunt like boruc incites a riot.

4 hours ago, Malvern said:

the flute is not a religious expression and I couldn't give a fuck if they were muslim simulating setting off a bomb if they can score 30-40 a season.

You know fine well the flute has a protestant context relative to Rangers. So yerr at it.

And if you're trying to tell me that if Rangers signed a lowlife catholic cunt like stokes - an ardent ira terrorist supporter, who simulated setting off a bomb whenever he came on the park, and that this was ok because he scored 40 goals a season, well, you're still at it or, in the alternative, a fucking moron.

6 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

But how many of them were only on the park for 25 minutes as a substitute ?

I'm not trying to be funny, but I could tell almost immediately with most of those; especially Davis. Those type of players have something about them, that they always have. With Kevin Thomson you could see something immediately, even if he did have to wait for his chance. How many minutes of the match against them did he play before you saw what Mendes has something about him? I could be wrong, but I don't see what Pena adds to our team. As I've said earlier, he is a good player in the sense he is neat on the ball, but he isn't the dynamic player we were led to believe we were signing;not even evident in any of the matches he's played in so far. Play him tonight though, from the start, and let him proves those who doubt him, like me, wrong.

Lets unleash him and Herrera v Thistle.

We need Candaies to have a much better game, his crossing can cause all sorts of problems.

Hopefully get a few onto Herreras head.

Need to start scoring 4 a game as the defence has been horrific, thats with two Cdms and apparantly better Cbs. 

6 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I actually like him. I think he's shown real glimpses of quality, but in the same breath he's played like an amateur with some of his passing. 

He has to play tonight for 70 mins+. 

Hopefully his misplaced passes prove to be just down to lack of game time.

7 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

We have signed a lot of players in the past who didn't hit the ground running  and it took a lot longer than 4 appearances of 25 minutes.   I would defy you to name more than a handful of players we have signed in the last 12 years who got off to a flyer with us.  The majority took weeks of full games to settle into the team's play and look as if they would do the business.  Why is it only Pena getting such criticism?   We have had games this season already where Dorrans and Jack have "disappeared" in games for at least 25 minutes.  I'm not getting at these players just stating that has happened.

Agree with the sentiment but Pena not having started a single game after being with the club for over 3 months now is worrying. Considering his rumoured fee and the fact he's probably on more wages than about 90% of the players in Scotland it would seem something is definitely wrong with his attitude or fitness and that's why he is looked at as not good enough to start games we really can't afford to carry passengers at the minute.

Both him and Herrera were brought over to play in the big games and for big money in Scottish football terms if both of them are not good enough to be in our starting 11 something is very wrong.

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

Hopefully his misplaced passes prove to be just down to lack of game time.

I think it is. He had two goalscoring opportunities at County and with game time he'd have buried them both IMO. 

His finish against Dundee was decent but a minute before it he just kicks the ball in hope it really makes him look amateurish. I don't know if it's just his body language or that but I expect footballers to be able to make 100 passes out of 100 if it's 10 yards or less

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

I think it is. He had two goalscoring opportunities at County and with game time he'd have buried them both IMO. 

His finish against Dundee was decent but a minute before it he just kicks the ball in hope it really makes him look amateurish. I don't know if it's just his body language or that but I expect footballers to be able to make 100 passes out of 100 if it's 10 yards or less

You're right, these are short passes he is doing that with. It's a good point you make about him, he seems to get in the right places at times. Hopefully he comes good, but I have my doubts. We have been here before with players who came with big reputations and they have not made it here. Hopefully he comes good.

To have a professional athlete who is in the peak of his career who still isn't considered fit enough to start a game after three months is an absolute disgrace on both the player (his attitude) and the managers (being too soft with him) part.

At this point it's looking like we got rid of an attacking midfielder who apparently had questionable fitness, a questionable attitude and a tendency to go out partying in Forrester and replaced him with somebody who is exactly same but the difference is that Pena cost significantly more :anguish:

7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

To have a professional athlete who is in the peak of his career who still isn't considered fit enough to start a game after three months is an absolute disgrace on both the player (his attitude) and the managers (being too soft with him) part.

At this point it's looking like we got rid of an attacking midfielder who apparently had questionable fitness, a questionable attitude and a tendency to go out partying in Forrester and replaced him with soembody who is exactly same but the difference is thathas cost significantly more.

The manager says he is physically fit but adapting to the lack of space and time afforded in Scotland. He might turn out to be a player suited to playing here or he might not adapt but his actual ability can't be questioned 

9 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

The manager says he is physically fit but adapting to the lack of space and time afforded in Scotland. He might turn out to be a player suited to playing here on he might not adapt but his actual ability can't be questioned 

How does he adapt to the lack of time and space by playing 10-15 minutes here and there. Surely the best way to get him used to it is to play him more regularly?

In my mind an intentational player in the peak of his career should have enough quality to adapt to any circumstance fairly quickly. He shouldn't need to be slowly intoduced in spurts like some 17 year old youth team prospect.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I honestly think something about this whole Pena thing stinks.

17 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

The manager says he is physically fit but adapting to the lack of space and time afforded in Scotland. He might turn out to be a player suited to playing here or he might not adapt but his actual ability can't be questioned 

Need to explain that one to me.

34 minutes ago, Gustav said:

Need to explain that one to me.

I'm saying he might not suit the SPFL, time will tell, but he's a Mexican player of the year, 18 times capped and in Mexico a famous player. It's a bit like Barry Ferguson going to play in Mexico and finding the style doesn't suit him. Doesn't make him a bad player 

10 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

I'm saying he might not suit the SPFL, time will tell, but he's a Mexican player of the year, 18 times capped and in Mexico a famous player. It's a bit like Barry Ferguson going to play in Mexico and finding the style doesn't suit him. Doesn't make him a bad player 

For all I'm not a particularly great fan of Barry Ferguson, I think if he played in any league it would be known within a very short space of time that he was a very good player.

4 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

You can't not doubt his ability based on his reputation alone when he has looked rotten for us.

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

At this point it's looking like we got rid of an attacking midfielder who apparently had questionable fitness, a questionable attitude and a tendency to go out partying in Forrester and replaced him with somebody who is exactly same but the difference is that Pena cost significantly more :anguish:

Did you just compare an English Championship flop with a guy who has over 200 games in Liga MX and Mexico international caps?

7 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

For all I'm not a particularly great fan of Barry Ferguson, I think if he played in any league it would be known within a very short space of time that he was a very good player.

I think it's easier to adapt going from more time slower paced match than to less time faster paced more physical style.

That's not to say he'll turn out be any good.

18 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

Totally agree with this but our problem is we don't have 2.7 million to pay on a gamble , for that money we need someone that's going to play from the word go and be the best if not one of the consistently best performers week in week out , penas reputation was good a few years back but we've signed (so far) the Pena I read a Mexican reporter saying we were getting , I blame Pedro 100% for this signing we could have had 2 decent players for the money we've spent on him unless things improve dramatically the weeks ahead and he manages to actually start a game 

Archived