Pena

cushynumber

One of out best players last night. He had a few too many times where he lost the ball in the middle of the park, but won a good few tackles and made some excellent passes. Will be good to see him get a run of games and see what he can do when he's got a bit more match fitness/sharpness.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took some clips of noteworthy points in the game for Pena, now he did make some mistakes and I haven't done those so I'm not saying the guy is the real deal yet, he's still rusty but there is potential.

• First time ball over the top to Tav and look at this movement as soon as he's hit the pass it something he does really well
    giphy.gif

• Comes deep, nice first touch and good reverse through ball only undone by sliding block and then slides in attempt to win the ball back
    giphy.gif

• Nice bit of skill with the flick pass to Morelos and on the spin he attempts to get forward at pace again
    giphy.gif

• Shows positional awareness here just sitting off Morelos in the space in front of their back line. Reminds me a bit of Naismith's positioning in the year with Jelavic. For me this is something we have been missing.
    giphy.gif

• Showing for the ball once more in a deep lying position then spots the space and the move opening up and sprints into the space, nice couple of touches to play it through to Morelos and again he moves after passing and gets into a great position for the return where he'd be odds on to at least hit the target
    giphy.gif

• Gets back here to win the ball back twice and unlucky the second challenge didn't start a counter attack.
    giphy.gif

• Once more showing good positioning here in this move, staying farside of the marker until seeing the ball is coming in towards the front post and getting in front of his man, again Thistle with there 3 man central defence had someone to block the cross otherwise it was landing at Pena's feet.
    giphy.gif

• The goal, good movement to peel away from the marker(s) and as we have seen from his YouTube videos he is actually good in the air and the deft glance floats into far corner :dance:
    giphy.gif

• More evidence of the work rate closing down the first player then chasing the loose pass to nearly break through.
    giphy.gif

As I said he did make some mistakes and you could quite easily clip those and say he's mince but I think there was enough in the performance last night to believe that with some more starts and game time under his belt that he'll be an asset to us.

21 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Took some clips of noteworthy points in the game for Pena, now he did make some mistakes and I haven't done those so I'm not saying the guy is the real deal yet, he's still rusty but there is potential.

• First time ball over the top to Tav and look at this movement as soon as he's hit the pass it something he does really well
    giphy.gif

• Comes deep, nice first touch and good reverse through ball only undone by sliding block and then slides in attempt to win the ball back
    giphy.gif

• Nice bit of skill with the flick pass to Morelos and on the spin he attempts to get forward at pace again
    giphy.gif

• Shows positional awareness here just sitting off Morelos in the space in front of their back line. Reminds me a bit of Naismith's positioning in the year with Jelavic. For me this is something we have been missing.
    giphy.gif

• Showing for the ball once more in a deep lying position then spots the space and the move opening up and sprints into the space, nice couple of touches to play it through to Morelos and again he moves after passing and gets into a great position for the return where he'd be odds on to at least hit the target
    giphy.gif

• Gets back here to win the ball back twice and unlucky the second challenge didn't start a counter attack.
    giphy.gif

• Once more showing good positioning here in this move, staying farside of the marker until seeing the ball is coming in towards the front post and getting in front of his man, again Thistle with there 3 man central defence had someone to block the cross otherwise it was landing at Pena's feet.
    giphy.gif

• The goal, good movement to peel away from the marker(s) and as we have seen from his YouTube videos he is actually good in the air and the deft glance floats into far corner :dance:
    giphy.gif

• More evidence of the work rate closing down the first player then chasing the loose pass to nearly break through.
    giphy.gif

As I said he did make some mistakes and you could quite easily clip those and say he's mince but I think there was enough in the performance last night to believe that with some more starts and game time under his belt that he'll be an asset to us.

Great post, he make mistakes because he is the one who try different things.

28 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Why would you post that when you could have concentrated on all the negatives...do you have a animated gif of his chins or moobs bouncing around?

1 hour ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Post. Of. The. Year.

Instead of the usual 'he's pish' you took the time and made the effort to post some examples of his positive play.

Anyone who doesn't do the same when proclaiming some player/team is pish/brilliant should henceforth be banned for a day. Should make this place bearable again. :lol:

4 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

Post. Of. The. Year.

Instead of the usual 'he's pish' you took the time and made the effort to post some examples of his positive play.

Anyone who doesn't do the same when proclaiming some player/team is pish/brilliant should henceforth be banned for a day. Should make this place bearable again. :lol:

He is totally pish though all the same.

@NeoGeo7 great post but I'm not quoting it all again :) There was one I noticed not in there, it was a fairly short pass back but over the head of a player to maybe Tav. In a tightish situation inside their half, a wee dink over the player to the feet. I'm not saying he's any genius but it's not the type of pass we see here often.

8 hours ago, OhW said:

In what way am I not giving him a chance? I'm a fan, a punter. I don't pick the team. Every time he plays he has the chance to change my mind.

Your post            ""It's not fair to compare Pena to a footballer""   That was after 4 brief substitute appearances in one of which he scored.    

I don't know what reason there is for the total dislike some people have for Pena.  Like every player we sign I always look at their play, try to see what they looked like at their old clubs, etc.  Pena looked a good signing for us but then Pedro came out with "not ready to play for us" quote.   Pena then got 4 brief sub appearances when it was difficult to tell how he was fitting in.    I thought he played well last night and think he and Morelos could link well.   All the "he's fat" comments are utter nonsense.

10 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Pena has been getting bags of stick by every tom,Dick and Harry ever since he stepped foot in Scotland for all sorts of reasons and it's fucking uncalled for. I would ask how many of these critics have ever moved to a foreign country, without their family, without knowing the language, different food, weather, culture, style of football and a host of other things that he's had to bear. Everybody laughed when Pedro Caixhina mentioned he was not used to playing on wet pitches as if it was a stupid thing to say...it wasn't.

I remember when I came to Australia in 1966; a land that spoke the same language, ate the same type of food, had the same culture (almost) and I was a fucking dud....why?because the grounds were nothing like I had ever played on. All my life I had played or red ash, black ash, waterlogged grounds, but nothing like Australian pitches. I think the lad is trying his heart out to prove he has class, but he needs time, which unfortunately he isn't going to get at Rangers. I hope he proves people wrong.

This hits the nail on the head. I have property in Belize and travel to Mexico a lot. The culture is vastly different, and even for someone like me who has lived my whole life in Glasgow it can be hard coming back at first. For someone who has never played abroad and can't speak the language, I think is actually doing pretty well. How would most of the complainers do moving to Mexico and not speaking Spanish? Their ignorance has already answered that.

The guy is class, a lot of Mexicans I know love him. For anyone to say he's pish have no clue, he's a star in Mexico, a country far more passionate and better at football than us. 

34 minutes ago, VentyFour said:

This hits the nail on the head. I have property in Belize and travel to Mexico a lot. The culture is vastly different, and even for someone like me who has lived my whole life in Glasgow it can be hard coming back at first. For someone who has never played abroad and can't speak the language, I think is actually doing pretty well. How would most of the complainers do moving to Mexico and not speaking Spanish? Their ignorance has already answered that.

The guy is class, a lot of Mexicans I know love him. For anyone to say he's pish have no clue, he's a star in Mexico, a country far more passionate and better at football than us. 

and judging by FIFA rankings a damn site better at playing the game as well

Looked decent. 

Yeah a few passes didn't come off but these are always positive passes in the opposition third. He is always trying to look to create chances.

Would rather he tries something that might come off instead of playing it back safely only for it to be booted back up the park and lose possession anyway.

2 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

I don't know what reason there is for the total dislike some people have for Pena.  Like every player we sign I always look at their play, try to see what they looked like at their old clubs, etc.  Pena looked a good signing for us but then Pedro came out with "not ready to play for us" quote.   Pena then got 4 brief sub appearances when it was difficult to tell how he was fitting in.    I thought he played well last night and think he and Morelos could link well.   All the "he's fat" comments are utter nonsense.

People want him to fail so they can use it as a case against Pedro. That's it.

16 hours ago, OhW said:

And that leads to people like you doing the reverse, and blowing anything good he does out of proportion.

It's not a case of blowing things out of proportion, it's a case of seeing what I do and he shows he has great potential, there's no question of that, unlike yourself I don't over exaggerate nonsense so your comment is off target with myself, completely wide off target. Then again what do you expect from arseholes like yourself?

1 hour ago, philiprfc said:

People want him to fail so they can use it as a case against Pedro. That's it.

You're spot on mate, honestly you can see that a mile off, they're not supporters of this club. In fact I caught one of them out on Facebook, he said something very much similar dissing me over Peña saying he's 'fu**ing pish, yet when I checked his profile it shows that he's liked celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs etc. Don't be surprised if the obsessed mob would go that far as to create fake Rangers profiles and disguise themselves here or elsewhere like Follow Follow, they exist. 

6 hours ago, NeoGeo7 said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Best post I've seen on here, your take on Peña is spot on, not sure how you managed to create that, Adobe Premiere CC? You can see he has clear ability and look how quick he is as well, I think he'll be dangerous on the counter attack if used against celtic, he has the ability to hurt them especially if they're going to attack a lot. 

Potentially our best player by a mile when fully fit. After his first start, was impressed with him and hope it's a sign of things to come, even his movement and late runs into the box in the sub appearances caught my eye, but after each minute he plays, you can see he's the real deal. Football intelligence and work rate, second to none.

Archived