Pena

cushynumber

Pedro saying Pena only gets criticised because he's non-Scottish makes reference to Jack and Dorrans thaf no one mentions their fitness because they are Scottish - maybe it's because they are actually fit? 

Yeah because Morelos gets it in the neck for not being Scottish too 

i don't think Pena is that bad but I can see why some criticise or expect more - Pedro doesn't help himself by not engaging his brain before talking as he says himself in the same interview Pena is only at 60% capacity right now so what's the problem? :confused:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Pedro saying Pena only gets criticised because he's non-Scottish makes reference to Jack and Dorrans thaf no one mentions their fitness because they are Scottish - maybe it's because they are actually fit? 

i don't think Pena is that bad but I can see why some criticise or expect more - Pedro doesn't help himself by not engaging his brain before talking as he says himself in the same interview Pena is only at 60% capacity right now so what's the problem? :confused:

He's talking in the context of the positions the players play. 

His view is Pena is often trying to play the forward pass from a more crowded offensive position but is not quite getting if right yet. Jack and Dorrans he reckons often have more space as they are nearer our goal and are often playing safer side or back passes. He reckons therefore it's unfair on pena to compare.

It's an interesting assessment, and probably something in it if the training data does show pena is as fit if not fitter than others.

For me though it can just be simplified that Pena doesn't look match fit, sharp enough, or explosive enough to do that job yet.

3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

His view is Pena is often trying to play the forward pass from a more crowded offensive position but is not quite getting if right yet. Jack and Dorrans he reckons often have more space as they are nearer our goal and are often playing safer side or back passes. He reckons therefore it's unfair on pena to compare.

It's an interesting assessment, and probably something in it if the training data does show pena is as fit if not fitter than others.

For me though it can just be simplified that Pena doesn't look match fit, sharp enough, or explosive enough to do that job yet.

I read the full article and quotes before posting there's clear contradictions in what he's saying mate he admits himself he's only functioning at 60% so I'm struggling to see how he can bring nationalities into it ?

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

I read the full article and quotes before posting there's clear contradictions in what he's saying mate he admits himself he's only functioning at 60% so I'm struggling to see how he can bring nationalities into it ?

I'm not so sure the 60% refers to fitness though which he says isn't the problem.

I think it's meant as in he's only at about 60% of how good he can be.

But I've not re-read the quotes. Might just be talking shite ?

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I'm not so sure the 60% refers to fitness though which he says isn't the problem.

I think it's meant as in he's only at about 60% of how good he can be.

But I've not re-read the quotes. Might just be talking shite ?

God knows mate didn't think there was any need to bring nationalities into it especially after the stories the other day about the Scottish players not making him feel welcome was a poor choice of words imo 

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

God knows mate didn't think there was any need to bring nationalities into it especially after the stories the other day about the Scottish players not making him feel welcome was a poor choice of words imo 

Think he's just saying he's not been invited to nandos yet. Which is poor if true..... 

4 hours ago, K.A.I said:

he is getting criticised because he has been crap. 

5 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

You think he would get fit chasing his first touch.

5 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I think he was talking more of sharpening up his awareness , touch and feel for the ball etc  , as opposed to physical fitness when talking about 60% . 

Agree with you though , don't see the relationship to nationality . A daft thing to say , particularly at this time with the alleged ' split ' in the dressing room . 

11 minutes ago, gmcf said:

I think he was talking more of sharpening up his awareness , touch and feel for the ball etc  , as opposed to physical fitness when talking about 60% . 

Agree with you though , don't see the relationship to nationality . A daft thing to say , particularly at this time with the alleged ' split ' in the dressing room . 

Aye that's what I'm getting at, mentioning Scottish players nationalities literally days after having a go at Scottish/homebased players for not making him feel welcome, might cause deeper divisions and problems. 

I said earlier that he doesn't engage his brain when he speaks but I actually take that back as I think he knows exactly what he's doing here, but it's a risky game he's playing. 

The more and more i read about pena it just tells me hes a guy who is probably past it. Seems to have been a decent player up until about 18 months ago. I really do hope the transfer fee quoted is garbage because if not it looks like terrible business.

We are not a suitable team for guys trying to restart their careers, we need players who are fit and ready. We have had too many gambles with guys like barton and Niko. But at least the latter they were bosmans. 

Why doesn't he play in the youth games to help him a bit with his sharpness? It might not be great but it's better than nothing.

If he's still struggling against the likes of Hamilton how long will it be until he's ready for the harder games? St Johnstone, Hearts away this month and Motherwell in the cup are games we can't afford a passenger starting. Killie between the Motherwell & Hearts game shouldn't be difficult.

A few games with the youths, maybe a 15/20mins in the above games if possible, then by November we have Thistle, Hamilton at Ibrox then Dundee away where he could come back into full contention for a spot. If he's still not ready then give up.

13 hours ago, MasterD said:

Why doesn't he play in the youth games to help him a bit with his sharpness? It might not be great but it's better than nothing.

If he's still struggling against the likes of Hamilton how long will it be until he's ready for the harder games? St Johnstone, Hearts away this month and Motherwell in the cup are games we can't afford a passenger starting. Killie between the Motherwell & Hearts game shouldn't be difficult.

A few games with the youths, maybe a 15/20mins in the above games if possible, then by November we have Thistle, Hamilton at Ibrox then Dundee away where he could come back into full contention for a spot. If he's still not ready then give up.

Give him the full 90 minutes in a good few games.

Certain to be banned for st Johnstone, thanks in part to the media having a go at every oppurtunity( would never do that to a Scottish player)so again won't be able to get a run of games.is going to be one of these players who gets banned/injured throughout the season and never gets a run in the team,so never gets up to speed?

There's a chance for us to add holts legs in middle of the park and for me be a bit harder to break down especially against the better teams in the league.

But pedro looks very stubborn in regards to pena and imo will continue to go with him.

Folk are lying if they say they see a player there, he's absolute awful and apart from that header at thistle hasn't shown any positive attributes at all. 

Archived