So you're Pedro's replacement, what do you do...

graeme_4

Hypothetically, Pedro gets binned on Monday morning and you're the new boss.

You've 10 days or so of the transfer window left with a small budget. What do you do? 

IMO, the biggest weaknesses in the side are LB, LM and Kenny Miller. I could live with Windass, and we have other options upfront so targeting a defensively sound LB would be my main target. 

Big calls to make would be dropping Wallace and Miller, who I think are extremely detrimental to our play. 

I still think the biggest issue is that we don't have enough individual quality to unlock a packed defence, although not sure how we address that in this window. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Negotiate a pay off with Kenny Miller.

Offer Lee Wallace and Wes Foderingham to everyone and anyone that might be interested in signing them.

Find Dalcio.

Look to sign a new left back, left winger, goalkeeper and striker.

Find out what the fuck is actually wrong with Carlos Pena.

All of that to start off anyway.

Since we only have one winger I'd go 5-3-2.  Clint Hill is still without a club so I'd bring him back and put him next to Alves and Cardoso.  Use Wallace and Tavernier as wing backs and hope that they can provide the width going forward.  Jack and Dorrans in front of the the three CBs with with one CAM sitting in front of them.  We have Kranjcar, Pena, and Windass who could compete for that position.  If Rossiter could hold next to Jack maybe Dorrans could be given the CAM role.  I'd also sign Moult and put him next to Morelos.

Strip Wallace and Miller from their position as Captain and Captains sidekick. Tell the squad that these positions are up for grabs for people who show some real leadership on the pitch. Stop trying to shoehorn Miller into every position despite him usually being the worst player on the park. That's where i'd start before even thinking about recruitment.

Guest Lloyd72
17 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

With loyalty like ours, look for an exit strategy PDQ

Why should we be loyal to someone who's quite clearly a dud

Let Miller go and Hodson go, buy a left back and a left mid, cover for fullback.

Were really not far away from having a really decent squad. Dorrans, Jack, Cardoso, Alves and Candeias are competent enough for this level by a distance. 

Windass, Tavernier, Morelos are also good enough and you can see they're getting better with better footballers around them. 

58 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Since we only have one winger I'd go 5-3-2.  Clint Hill is still without a club so I'd bring him back and put him next to Alves and Cardoso.  Use Wallace and Tavernier as wing backs and hope that they can provide the width going forward.  Jack and Dorrans in front of the the three CBs with with one CAM sitting in front of them.  We have Kranjcar, Pena, and Windass who could compete for that position.  If Rossiter could hold next to Jack maybe Dorrans could be given the CAM role.  I'd also sign Moult and put him next to Morelos.

Clint Hill is not the answer.

58 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

Why should we be loyal to someone who's quite clearly a dud

I find it ironic that a guy who did nothing but slate Warburton from pretty much the minute he came in the door is basically having a dig at other supporters about their lack of "loyalty".

11 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

This! From what I've seen teams that churn their managers pdq regress - the clubs with patience do better 

Any recent examples of this because from what I've seen most clubs now think nothing of getting rid of a manager who isn't performing well enough. Leiciester won the Premier League and sacked Ranieri less than a year later so I don't think clubs show patience at all anymore.

Patience is all fine and well if you are seeing some sort of potential but sometimes it's just clear that somebody isn't up to it and with Caixinha it's been disaster after disaster since the day he came in the door.