So you're Pedro's replacement, what do you do...

graeme_4

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a Lb and Left mid

Pair our two best finishers up front.

Don't play two defensive mids.  

Get Pena up to speed sharpish, he looks/looked what we need, driving from midfield, shooting, passing.

Make Miller a Coach

Tell everyone to shoot when they get the chance. Most teams are going to sit in and defend. 

2 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

They were also building on pretty stable squads we are under going wholesale changes!

This squad might be a 'dead horse' but we are no where near knowing that yet. 

I'm not so worried about the squad - more about someone who can get them all pointing & pulling in the right direction.

For all his brave words, I'm not sure we have the right man for the job.

8 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Since we only have one winger I'd go 5-3-2.  Clint Hill is still without a club so I'd bring him back and put him next to Alves and Cardoso.  Use Wallace and Tavernier as wing backs and hope that they can provide the width going forward.  Jack and Dorrans in front of the the three CBs with with one CAM sitting in front of them.  We have Kranjcar, Pena, and Windass who could compete for that position.  If Rossiter could hold next to Jack maybe Dorrans could be given the CAM role.  I'd also sign Moult and put him next to Morelos.

Agree with the exception of Hill, that ship had sailed, let Danny Wilson earn his corn in a position which suits him.

Appoint a coaching team befitting this club. 

Demand the board pay off Dodoo, Holt, Bates and Hodson immediately. 

Cancel Dalcios loan deal. 

Sign a new club captain. 

Appoint Jack vice captain. 

Sign a left back, right back, 2 wingers and 2 goal scoring strikers, all of whom would walk into the Celtic team, never mind ours. 

Never pick Kenny Miller again. 

Put Pena, Herrera, Miller, Wallace and Windass all up for sale and force them to train with the youths.  

All in that order and it would ideally all be done in a few days too. No fucking about. 

6 belters in, a new captain and upto 9 duds out. As easy as that. No excuses. 

11 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Hypothetically, Pedro gets binned on Monday morning and you're the new boss.

You've 10 days or so of the transfer window left with a small budget. What do you do? 

IMO, the biggest weaknesses in the side are LB, LM and Kenny Miller. I could live with Windass, and we have other options upfront so targeting a defensively sound LB would be my main target. 

Big calls to make would be dropping Wallace and Miller, who I think are extremely detrimental to our play. 

I still think the biggest issue is that we don't have enough individual quality to unlock a packed defence, although not sure how we address that in this window. 

Agreed, it grieves me to say Kenny should be benched and only play when impact is needed. I would also like to see Rangers getting another goal keeper with more experience than Fod.

20 minutes ago, He's blue he's white said:

Wallace needs replaced and not sure if Wilson is good enough.

So if you were going 3 at the back surely you would want a centre back to replace Wilson?

Not sure why you would have a back 3 of 2 centre backs and a new left back. Baffling.

Good thread btw.

If it was me then first thing is a meeting with the board to see what I've got to spend and what may be available in January.

Withdraw our offer for Jamie Walker.

Test Dundee's resolve with an offer for their right-back.

Arrange a meeting with Mark Allen exclusively for a new left-back. Rack his brains and brainstorm and see if he's any recommendations from Man City who may be available on loan but with strict criteria such as he's got to be a solid defender with good positional sense first and foremost with emphasis on our days of having two attacking full-backs are over as it costs us.

Next thing is to then identify a goalscoring striker. The net will be cast far and wide. No stone in any market unturned. Get the stat sheets out for goalscoring records from all strikers in all leagues across Europe. 

Along with Mark Allen look into establishing our scouting network. No jobs for the boys or anything like that - good solid scouts with proven track records. Make a point of putting pressure on the board to redirect as much funds as possible as it needs to be well funded. Paying good scouts full time salaries to be based in Europe (for starters) and give them their expenses for living, wages, travel and season tickets for clubs across the continent. 3-games per week minimum and the rest of the time preparing files on any recommendations for me and sending them across with monthly meetings at Ibrox with them for briefings and intimate/personal updates.

Convince the board to create a better match-day experience. A flute band to get the crowd going. Nothing offensive or anything the club could get in trouble for - a loud band (changing bands every home game) to bring back a roar and atmosphere which will in turn help the players. Some proper music on the PA system too for in between. Also fasttrack the safe standing project and have designated flag/banner hanging areas for the fans. You might not think any of this would be in the managers remit but I'd be thinking outside the box and getting involved as it could have a positive kick-on to the players coming from the stands.

Reshape the youth set-up. I'd keep Murty in a job as I seen towards the end of his caretaker role last season with the club he was developing a strong mentality with the first team players and I feel he can do this with the unders but I'd get rid of Mulholland. He's had plenty of chances to oversee and produce first-team ready players - he hasn't. An emphasis would be on winning mentality as a key to development. I like the idea of the team only playing domestic cups and the European fixtures that's been lined up. The players will also train some days at the same time as the first team at Auchenowie and they will sporadically be involved in some first team sessions. Obviously not all of them, every day and all at once but they would benefit and learn from taking turns with the first team. There would be class room sessions for them too (education-wise as we've a duty of care to some of the ones at 15/16/17) but also combining it with the clubs history and what's expected of them and how the fans think and their demands etc.

Try to come to agreements with Wallace and Miller. Not with a view of even paying them anything just ask them if they want to do us a turn and find other clubs with mutually terminated contracts. If not, then keep them and use them when desperate.

Transfer list Hodson, Tav and Fod. Hodson we wouldn't get much for, Tav is mince but he may hold some value and Foderingham I like him but he's not the all-rounder goalkeeper we need. If we could get 3-million for him and spend it on the players I mentioned at the start then we'd be in a better position overall. If we can't get able full-backs in then that plan is out the window as we can't leave ourselves THAT short in that the full-back positions.

Most of all I'd go through employee files and any tarriers would be binned first chance I got. I don't trust them, they aren't welcome and I don't want them (if they get a chance) possibly undermining any good work at the club.

That's just from the top of my head :lol: 

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

Doubt anybody has seen Cammy Kerr more than 3-4 times, but I fail to see how someone who's been a big part of a defence with the third worst in the league last season and has shipped 7 goals in three games this season is going to be an upgrade on Tav. 

So sell Hodson and Tav, sign Kerr. Who's the back up for right back?

Aye that's all I've seen him but he's impressed me every time. 

It's not his fault they've shipped all them goals. There's other defenders in that Dundee team but he's looked solid at his side and doesn't get caught up the park playing balls that can't beat the man nearest him.

Regarding the last line - I did put a wee bit in there saying it depends on getting people in as you can't just get rid and leave yourself that short.

15 hours ago, RDFM said:

1 - Play a system that actually works in 2017. 

2 - Sign players that suit this system. 

3 - Not talk shite whenever someone puts a microphone to my mouth. 

You would still have told the worst lie the internet though so talking shite with a mic would be an improvement.

1 hour ago, wullyRFC said:

You would still have told the worst lie the internet though so talking shite with a mic would be an improvement.

Still not bothered you don't think I watched Herrera, William.

5 minutes ago, wullyRFC said:

I know you had never seen him play. Tell us again how you have seen him play for anyone who missed it we could all do with a laugh.

Again, William, I don't care that you haven't yet accessed the Internet outside of this forum. 

Just now, RDFM said:

Again, William, I don't care that you haven't yet accessed the Internet outside of this forum. 

OK, so since you've seen Herrera enough to judge him say 4-5 games in Mexico you must have randomly watched a good few Mexican games say 20-30? as you don't support a Mexican team you just like streaming Mexican football. Any players from the league you would recommend?

12 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Good thread btw.

If it was me then first thing is a meeting with the board to see what I've got to spend and what may be available in January.

Withdraw our offer for Jamie Walker.

Test Dundee's resolve with an offer for their right-back.

Arrange a meeting with Mark Allen exclusively for a new left-back. Rack his brains and brainstorm and see if he's any recommendations from Man City who may be available on loan but with strict criteria such as he's got to be a solid defender with good positional sense first and foremost with emphasis on our days of having two attacking full-backs are over as it costs us.

Next thing is to then identify a goalscoring striker. The net will be cast far and wide. No stone in any market unturned. Get the stat sheets out for goalscoring records from all strikers in all leagues across Europe. 

Along with Mark Allen look into establishing our scouting network. No jobs for the boys or anything like that - good solid scouts with proven track records. Make a point of putting pressure on the board to redirect as much funds as possible as it needs to be well funded. Paying good scouts full time salaries to be based in Europe (for starters) and give them their expenses for living, wages, travel and season tickets for clubs across the continent. 3-games per week minimum and the rest of the time preparing files on any recommendations for me and sending them across with monthly meetings at Ibrox with them for briefings and intimate/personal updates.

Convince the board to create a better match-day experience. A flute band to get the crowd going. Nothing offensive or anything the club could get in trouble for - a loud band (changing bands every home game) to bring back a roar and atmosphere which will in turn help the players. Some proper music on the PA system too for in between. Also fasttrack the safe standing project and have designated flag/banner hanging areas for the fans. You might not think any of this would be in the managers remit but I'd be thinking outside the box and getting involved as it could have a positive kick-on to the players coming from the stands.

Reshape the youth set-up. I'd keep Murty in a job as I seen towards the end of his caretaker role last season with the club he was developing a strong mentality with the first team players and I feel he can do this with the unders but I'd get rid of Mulholland. He's had plenty of chances to oversee and produce first-team ready players - he hasn't. An emphasis would be on winning mentality as a key to development. I like the idea of the team only playing domestic cups and the European fixtures that's been lined up. The players will also train some days at the same time as the first team at Auchenowie and they will sporadically be involved in some first team sessions. Obviously not all of them, every day and all at once but they would benefit and learn from taking turns with the first team. There would be class room sessions for them too (education-wise as we've a duty of care to some of the ones at 15/16/17) but also combining it with the clubs history and what's expected of them and how the fans think and their demands etc.

Try to come to agreements with Wallace and Miller. Not with a view of even paying them anything just ask them if they want to do us a turn and find other clubs with mutually terminated contracts. If not, then keep them and use them when desperate.

Transfer list Hodson, Tav and Fod. Hodson we wouldn't get much for, Tav is mince but he may hold some value and Foderingham I like him but he's not the all-rounder goalkeeper we need. If we could get 3-million for him and spend it on the players I mentioned at the start then we'd be in a better position overall. If we can't get able full-backs in then that plan is out the window as we can't leave ourselves THAT short in that the full-back positions.

Most of all I'd go through employee files and any tarriers would be binned first chance I got. I don't trust them, they aren't welcome and I don't want them (if they get a chance) possibly undermining any good work at the club.

That's just from the top of my head :lol: 

A full-time continental scouting system would cost a fortune. Even clubs like Arsenal have scaled back and now use part-time contacts in most regions. There's no point scouting 100s of players every month, you can use a network of agents, ex players, club contacts to the same effect for a fraction of the price.

Would I love us to have people searching across the globe to find us the best talent? Absolutely! Do we as a club have the resources to do that? No, and we probably won't again.

Off the top of my head, if you paid 10 scouts a full time wage (you're looking at £50k p/a if they're travelling away from family etc. constantly), plus expenses (including travel, accommodation, tickets), you're looking at a minimum of a million pounds a year for the club. We can't justify that, and even if we did those scouts are then competing against clubs with 100x the budget (the likes of City, Chelsea etc.) who are always going to come calling if you spot someone. If an upcoming player's agent gets a call from us, he'll immediately alert other "higher-paying" clubs of our interest and any money you save on scouting them goes in wages, transfer fees etc. 

Scouting is important, we certainly shouldn't be losing Scottish talent to other sources. But the notion of us finding uncovered gems from around Europe under the noses of better backed clubs, is just a pipedream in todays market.