So you're Pedro's replacement, what do you do...

graeme_4

11 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

A full-time continental scouting system would cost a fortune. Even clubs like Arsenal have scaled back and now use part-time contacts in most regions. There's no point scouting 100s of players every month, you can use a network of agents, ex players, club contacts to the same effect for a fraction of the price.

Would I love us to have people searching across the globe to find us the best talent? Absolutely! Do we as a club have the resources to do that? No, and we probably won't again.

Off the top of my head, if you paid 10 scouts a full time wage (you're looking at £50k p/a if they're travelling away from family etc. constantly), plus expenses (including travel, accommodation, tickets), you're looking at a minimum of a million pounds a year for the club. We can't justify that, and even if we did those scouts are then competing against clubs with 100x the budget (the likes of City, Chelsea etc.) who are always going to come calling if you spot someone. If an upcoming player's agent gets a call from us, he'll immediately alert other "higher-paying" clubs of our interest and any money you save on scouting them goes in wages, transfer fees etc. 

Scouting is important, we certainly shouldn't be losing Scottish talent to other sources. But the notion of us finding uncovered gems from around Europe under the noses of better backed clubs, is just a pipedream in todays market.

No way should we be relying on agents or even ex-players. Do our own work in that field.

What's wrong with paying a million pounds per year to have a good scouting network in place? that's nothing compared to the gains. 

and if good Scottish talent becomes available, fine, but we will hear about anything in good time we don't need to dedicate too much scouting resources to it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20/08/2017 at 9:06 AM, graeme_4 said:

Hypothetically, Pedro gets binned on Monday morning and you're the new boss.

You've 10 days or so of the transfer window left with a small budget. What do you do? 

IMO, the biggest weaknesses in the side are LB, LM and Kenny Miller. I could live with Windass, and we have other options upfront so targeting a defensively sound LB would be my main target. 

Big calls to make would be dropping Wallace and Miller, who I think are extremely detrimental to our play. 

I still think the biggest issue is that we don't have enough individual quality to unlock a packed defence, although not sure how we address that in this window. 

Tell Miller to find a new club as he will never play for Rangers again.

Sell Wallace. Bring in new Left back. If not possible, give a run to Beerman, if doesnt work - try Wilson in that position. Give the captain armband to Bruno Alves. Find a good scout and send him to cover Scandinavian countries, as a start. Sign Jamie Walker and tell Josh Windass to get a grip, or he is off next. Sell Fotheringham. Use the money from Fod for a proper goalscorer, and add an experienced goalkeeper to the team. Tell Dalcio to go home. 

5 hours ago, The Tavernator said:

What would a new manager do? Keep a billion light years away from this honking forum for a start.

Yet you're still here posting.

3 minutes ago, demise said:

Sell Wallace. Bring in new Left back. If not possible, give a run to Beerman, if doesnt work - try Wilson in that position. Give the captain armband to Bruno Alves. Find a good scout and send him to cover Scandinavian countries, as a start. Sign Jamie Walker and tell Josh Windass to get a grip, or he is off next. Sell Fotheringham. Use the money from Fod for a proper goalscorer, and add an experienced goalkeeper to the team. Tell Dalcio to go home. 

Why?

People just disregarding the fact that players like alves signed for caixinha? There goes the transfer everyone raved about - and players like Pena and Morelos and Herrera would likely walk as well - all players that could prove vital on the park.

This is a great topic. Ok my short answer would be cry. No manager coming in now will work really. its too late on for someone to come in and turn this season round with warbs/Pedro's team. That's the only reason i'd give pedro more time.  If a new manager came in now, he himself would be under pressure at the end of the season. So presume as I will predict and of course hope he proves me wrong, that pedro is sacked by xmas. This is what I would do.

• Terminate Dalcio's loan.
  • Tell the board you want 100% backing or its not for you.
  • Publicly declare that we have a good team and we have underperformed with the calibre of players we have. We are not looking to sell anyone, but if bids come in we will listen to offers. (bullshit)
  • Privately start trying to offload players to the highest bidder, Wallace and Tav etc. Get as much money as possible
  • Tell the board that we need quality over quantity and we will use the youths to build the squad if need be. Aim to get quality in the starting 11.
  • Appoint a new captain, whoever looks like the most likely to inspire his teammates - not Wallace.
  • Tell miller that he will not be a regular starter
  • Emphasis on training the players to have a different approach to the game. Make us difficult to beat, but dangerous in attack. Identify which players are showing signs of improvement.
  • Explain to the players that we must win at all costs and that anything less is not acceptable.

Retire Miller

Look for two new full backs who can defend and attack 

Move Kranjcar on

Find a link striker for Morelos

Send The Dalcio back to his Mum

If good money was on offer for Wes, sell him n bring on a new keeper to compete with Alnwick.

Spend a lot of time on defending set pieces as we are brutal, likewise on attacking corners too.

9 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Why?

You see a significant amount of players, having an obvious leadership abilities in the squad? Me neither. The two i would chose from are Bruno Alves, as i trust an European champion and a Portugal regular, and Dorrans. 

1 minute ago, demise said:

You see a significant amount of players, having an obvious leadership abilities in the squad? Me neither. The two i would chose from are Bruno Alves, as i trust an European champion and a Portugal regular, and Dorrans. 

Nobody should walk in and get it straight away, plus he has shown nothing to deserve it.

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Nobody should walk in and get it straight away, plus he has shown nothing to deserve it.

True, but its also about footballing ability. Wallace is not near close to being the best player in the squad. And if your captain is an average SPL player, this means he cannot really command/improve the squad, then he needs to give the captaincy away to someone better. 

2 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

there lies the problem - a near enough whole new squad where we poo ourselves by giving the armband to an "undeserving"  - loyalty is also undeserving btw throw in football and motivational skills and fight and hunger then loyalty is a cherry on top - Wallace shows none of these...

13 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

there lies the problem - a near enough whole new squad where we poo ourselves by giving the armband to an "undeserving"  - loyalty is also undeserving btw throw in football and motivational skills and fight and hunger then loyalty is a cherry on top - Wallace shows none of these...

Who should be captain? In your opinion.

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

Who should be captain? In your opinion.

I know what you are getting at FandF it's difficult we should have leaders all over the place and who then should be deemed, captain? even Alves looks quieter and less "captain like" than I thought.... but probably Alves tbh

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

I know what you are getting at FandF it's difficult we should have leaders all over the place and who then should be deemed, captain? even Alves looks quieter and less "captain like" than I thought.... but probably Alves tbh

If it was a new signing, it should be Jack or Dorrans imo.