Expectations this season

ScotBear

I had hoped to be competing for the league, but realising that 2nd was what we would probably get. I certainly expected to get a couple of qualifying rounds in the EUROPA cup and not go out in the first one. Our next game in the LC is not far away either.

After 3 games I do not know what to expect, we looked at times yesterday like a MW team, far too slow and too many touches at times. While we have bought some fairly good players I am not sure about Pena, Herrera and the winger who I have forgot about, Dalcio I think. I also think we are short of at least three more players, a winger, striker and a full back who could challenge for either side.

I said after the game yesterday that I thought the Pedro experiment had already failed and I have not changed my mind today. Do I think the board will sack him anytime soon, I certainly do not. But what happens if we do not win against Ross C ? what happens if we do not beat Dundee ? and then the double header away against Thistle ? these are all games that could go wrong, they could also go right, but my confidence is now low, very low. It is like the last few weeks when MW was in charge for me and that feeling of deja vu is not a good one.

I still hope I am wrong and Pedro somehow manages to turn it around, but I will not hold my breath.

One last point I have never thought King was the right person to take us back to the top, and hate how we are being run on season ticket money and loans, but since that is not going to change anytime soon I will just have to hope for the best on that one.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

I get all that you say, but it is all based on coming in second, which I believe is wrong and should be all about coming in first. Coming in second puts little pressure on this board to change anything, particularly when we witness 10iar looming for the scum and 55 being achieved by them before us.

This board get an easy ride and we truly have forgotten who we are and what we should be all about.

I see what you are saying and I do agree that first and foremost the Club should have the expectation that the manager and team will go about the business of winning enough football games to win the league title.   That's not a stretch target or anything like that as it would be for every other club in the SPFL other than the other lot.   Its the expected target for Rangers.   

The practical problem as I see it is making the leap from last season's Warburton failings to achieving that target in one jump takes on, imo, the nature of a stretch target for this season.  That's why my thought was that if Pedro could get the results to still be in close touch for the title run in then it may be that the momentum generated could be enough to topple the other lot.   But the start to the league campaign has already put us into catch up mode and we're not scoring enough goals - or looking like scoring enough goals - to make that catch up appear to be something that can be done.  That, imo, is down to Pedro and his lack of ability so far to turn talk of scoring goals into actually scoring goals. 

There is, I think, only so long that King and the directors will get away with the line that its a short journey back to the very top.  Last season the King messaging was for a strong second (not achieved).  This season the stated aim from King is ....well there isn't one is there as far as I know.  But Pedro has made it clear that he sees it as essential that the team he produces must be far better and more competitive than last season.  I take this to mean finishing at least second with that being the platform to improve on that next season with presumably an influx of some better players next summer following (again a presumption) that additional funds would be raised from a share issue sometime next Spring.

The longer we trundle along in also-ran mode with a Chairman and directors tacitly accepting that an also-ran mode is all that they are capable of raising funding to achieve, the nearer it must surely be to wider numbers of the Support making it clear to King that this is not good enough. Bear in mind that when dumped down to Div 3 - having failed to see us out of Scottish football altogether - there was and still is a risk of being so financially weakened that we simply become one of the also ran chasing pack for the league title.    It will take serious investment to shift out of that, or the combination of a good enough side brought together on the cheap (so to speak) combined with the other lot becoming complacent and falling away despite having more to spend on players.