Serious lack of squad depth and balance

We have far too many players who are similar to each other in the same position and look an injury away in certain positions from being in serious trouble if luck goes against us.

Why on earth have the club sat scratching their arses since our last signing had arrived when we are crying out for a full back, an actual winger and another forward if possible? 

We were promised high intensity, attacking, revolutionary football, but instead have so far landed a typical tactically inept unknown manager living off hearsay about his potential and an incredibly thin and mediocre squad devoid  of all pace and balance.

if The Club and Pedro continue to be so naive with recruitment and how we approach games he will be gone by December, any of us could see from a mile away you do not spend 90 minutes at home to Hearts aimlessly smashing the ball up to a lone striker half the size of Berra and hoping Miller turns into Neymar, this is beginners decisions Pedro continually seems to overlook.

Hopefully the players and manager have a serious look at themselves and we go on to do good things this season, strong second and a cup run was always my aim, still achievable, but by no means an easy feat if this continues.

the last manager I can remember coming to a club he didn't grasp the size of, playing two holding midfielders and a style of play against the clubs traditions with poor team selection was Louis Van Gaal, and look how that went.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Can't argue with that except it's two full backs we need.

Agree 100% just don't think we have the balls to go out and get two, think asking for 2/3 new signings to come in might be too ambitious as things stand.

frustrating thing is three new signings would be the difference between us being far stronger and would change our season dramatically yet we probably won't do it, or will bring in folk to fill up the numbers.

6 minutes ago, Smile said:

What's happening is any Players worth any money are being sold by the Board and not replaced.

Foderingham going would be final confirmation of this.

we seem content with trusting players like Windass and Miller to turn into players they never have been and never will be just because we we have left ourselves in a bad spot due to our frugality.

Candeias is our only out and out first team worthy winger and every other game looks shaky as he's expected to be our only direct, fast, nippy player.

embarrasing that we have wasted so much time and still need such major investment. 

I would say we need a midfielder that can genuinely support the attack and I think Pena was meant to be that player but who knows, perhaps once he gets fit !! only time will tell.

I would hope there will be some strengthening between now and the end of the transfer window. But lets face it you can hardly follow the mans logic when it comes to subs during the game let alone in the transfer market.

27 minutes ago, Smile said:

What's happening is any Players worth any money are being sold by the Board and not replaced.

Not sure how you can say that? McKay sold and replaced with Candeias. Garner sold and replaced with Herrera. Waghorn sold and replaced with Morelos. Halliday loaned and replaced with Dorrans. Hill released and replaced with Alves. Most of those are more expensive improvements.

There's plenty to moan about without making stuff up.

6 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

Not sure how you can say that? McKay sold and replaced with Candeias. Garner sold and replaced with Herrera. Waghorn sold and replaced with Morelos. Halliday loaned and replaced with Dorrans. Hill released and replaced with Alves. Most of those are more expensive improvements.

I was thinking the exact same thing. At least on paper they are upgrades. 

Yes, yes I know games aren't won on paper, but that's not the point being made. 

5 minutes ago, thegambler said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. At least on paper they are upgrades. 

Yes, yes I know games aren't won on paper, but that's not the point being made. 

:tu:You can add Kiernan replaced with Cardoso and Forrester with Pena as well. They're all upgrades, and we've spent far more than has come in.

8 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

McKay and Candeias do not play the same position one plays left while the other predominately played on the right Windass play's McKay position now which is a poorer option to him, But the board banked some cash.

Herrera and Garner similar both slow reasonable in the air but will not score a lot, agree on that.

Waghorn would have played a lot this season but the board sold him on Morelos actually featured in less pre season games and has only started to feature due to the sale of Waghorn and finding out Herrera is a Dumpling.

The rest are loans which i have not mentioned.

Just now, kingtom80 said:

and we are still shite.:pipe:

We are noticeably weaker on the Left-hand side and we are weak up front which was always a weak part of our team. Defensively we still look a shambles.

4 minutes ago, Smile said:

McKay and Candeias do not play the same position one plays left while the other predominately played on the right Windass play's McKay position now which is a poorer option to him, But the board banked some cash.

Herrera and Garner similar both slow reasonable in the air but will not score a lot, agree on that.

Waghorn would have played a lot this season but the board sold him on Morelos actually featured in less pre season games and has only started to feature due to the sale of Waghorn and finding out Herrera is a Dumpling.

The rest are loans which i have not mentioned.

So we're selling players on the cheap, then buying more expensive players in different positions? Not sure what you're getting at here?

4 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

So we're selling players on the cheap, then buying more expensive players in different positions? Not sure what you're getting at here?

I thought it was Obvious we will sell anything whether it benefits the team or not. we have not replaced McKay with a similar quality we have not even bothered to replace Waghorn a position we are already weak in.

You need to remember it was Pedro who went on record as saying he wants a small squad of 20-21 players to work with.

That's not 2-players for every position so we are going to leave ourselves short. 

What are we going to be like come January when injuries, suspensions and tiredness kicks in? I shudder to think tbh. 

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

You need to remember it was Pedro who went on record as saying he wants a small squad of 20-21 players to work with.

That's not 2-players for every position so we are going to leave ourselves short. 

What are we going to be like come January when injuries, suspensions and tiredness kicks in? I shudder to think tbh. 

Pena should be fit by then.:duh:

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

I thought it was Obvious we will sell anything whether it benefits the team or not. we have not replaced McKay with a similar quality we have not even bothered to replace Waghorn a position we are already weak in.

But why? Why would we sell McKay for 500k and buy Candeias for 700k? Why would we sell Garner for 1m and sign Pena for 3.5m? I genuinely don't know what you're getting at.

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

Don't worry we have Beerman, Barjonas, Hardie and Burt. All great and should be given a chance according to on here...

I think Posters look for hope anywhere they can find it when the first team looks so poor.

I've nothing against a small squad, but that small squad is lacking in attacking quality, as well as 2 or 3 other area's.

The lack of goals this team has is of real concern. Whilst we will drop silly points now and then, and it isn't league winning, for the moment defensive deficiencies in the wide area's can be masked up if we are scoring goals. My honest opinion of the moment is - just like last season - we will drop far more points through lack of goals, than conceding soft ones.

Last season if we achieved 20 more goals (taking us just above Aberdeen in the scoring stakes) we'd have probably been 15pts better off. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Don't worry we have Beerman, Barjonas, Hardie and Burt. All great and should be given a chance according to on here...

Yeah Pedro did say he'd supplement any short-fall with youths i.e those guys but ffs that fills me with fear relying on that lot.

Just now, Ger_onimo said:

But why? Why would we sell McKay for 500k and buy Candeias for 700k? Why would we sell Garner for 1m and sign Pena for 3.5m? I genuinely don't know what you're getting at.

McKay and Cadeias do not even play the same position. Pena and Garner do not either and Pena cost 3.5 million I'd love to see the Proof of that.

As I said we will sell anything that's worth selling.

Just now, Smile said:

We could resell Pena as he's worth 3.5 million to bring players in.

I cannot believe what i'm typing but here goes...

Naismith is available on a free, begged to come back, Pedro said no.

I think he's a repugnant Rat bastard but he'd be our best player by a country mile..