The cultural aspect of following Rangers

I do find myself sympathetic to the Ulster cause and am a Unionist too, but that's more of a coincidence. Not really much to do with Rangers. 

I do sing the songs as well, but that's just joining in with the tribalism of it.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Inigo said:

What's stopping your big mate not still doing that? 

He refused to watch us playing in the lower leagues tbh, couldn't stomach it after all the shit happened - he said it didn't really feel real - he can't stand the board either. I can't convince him otherwise

I care more about Rangers than I do any political party or any religious or social group 

Folk often ask me "Willis why do you care so much about a football match and Rangers?"

Every Bear has an answer to that, the reason I care so much is ive moved about from one country and one house and to another since I was 8 years old, went to 9 or 10 different schools and the only thing that was consistent between those moves was my family and Rangers. Most people have friends they've known their whole lives and have lived in the same place forever, apart from my family the only regular thing in my life has been going to watch Rangers in one place or another with my Dad and brothers so it means everything to me and is something I'll always value and cherish, Ibrox has been one of the only places I've ever felt at home and felt where I belonged, Ibrox means more to me than any church or political party ever will 

As Mr Struth said "Rangers are born, not manufactured. We do not choose, We are chosen. Those who understand need no explanation, those who don't understand, don't matter." And no true Bear has ever had to ask anyone why a football club means so much to them because we all know it means so much more than that

Ive met many people from many cultures and religions and countries but the ones I feel the biggest connections with are the ones who share my love for Rangers 

All of this means more to me than the "cultural" aspect but it does play a major part 

Just now, KeyserSoze said:

He refused to watch us playing in the lower leagues tbh, couldn't stomach it after all the shit happened - he said it didn't really feel real - he can't stand the board either. I can't convince him otherwise

I find that weird. I find it quite easy to isolate myself from everything else and just enjoy the old fashioned bit of having a pie and watching the fitbaw, if I want to. Can't understand why he couldn't do the same, but heyho. Is he maybe just not as interested as he used to be? Maybe doesn't enjoy the football now and the averageness of it all, but he'd rather not say that?

5 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I do find myself sympathetic to the Ulster cause and am a Unionist too, but that's more of a coincidence. Not really much to do with Rangers. 

I do sing the songs as well, but that's just joining in with the tribalism of it.

:tu:

But all the taigs and nationalists would say the only reason you support those causes is cause your a Rangers fan

Don't see how folk can be so narrow minded and black and white about things.

Everyone of us was a Rangers fan before we favoured one political party or another. 

I've got plenty of political views that go against the majority of loyalist and Rangers fans.

I just think that supporting Rangers means you should at least respect the club's history and traditions. Too many folk think we should stop singing certain songs and waving certain flags when at the end of the day it's part of our history.

It would be one thing if we had UDA flags and had banners with Michael Stone on them, that should be kept to loyalist nights etc, but the fact is the taigs can have blatant IRA banners and get away with it while we are called scum for singing songs about the UVF because the paramilitary shares their name 

Just now, Inigo said:

I find that weird. I find it quite easy to isolate myself from everything else and just enjoy the old fashioned bit of having a pie and watching the fitbaw, if I want to. Can't understand why he couldn't do the same, but heyho. Is he maybe just not as interested as he used to be? Maybe doesn't enjoy the football now and the averageness of it all, but he'd rather not say that?

"fuck watching us play Annan" I think he said :depressed:

More to do with having a feeling of superiority being a Rangers fan...

I separate everything from the football, religion and politics have no place for me when following the Gers, been like that since I realised it was more interesting talking about football than talking about why the pope needs shagged or having one son then another ten (irony in that song eh!)

each to their own though and I would never tell folks how to support our team, all welcome in my eyes. 

10 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I know a guy who still doesn't go because he "Can't forgive what they let happen"... I say fair enough but no loss to us

I do know plenty of folk who haven't been to games since 2012 who've now came back acting staunch as fuck which annoys me cause if you were to call them out they'd spit the dummy

It's a strange situation because I've never asked for any recognition for following my team when we're getting pumped off Alloa but at the same time I get annoyed when folk who didn't go start complaining about things when they've only been back a season or 2

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I separate everything from the football, religion and politics have no place for me when following the Gers, been like that since I realised it was more interesting talking about football than talking about why the pope needs shagged or having one son then another ten (irony in that song eh!)

each to their own though and I would never tell folks how to support our team, all welcome in my eyes. 

I try to separate it too but there's a line at some point 

I know men who have fought in NI and Afghanistan and Iraq who support celtic, baffles me, how can anyone who has fought for their country sit in celtic park during their IRA fests while they sing about shooting  them?

Same as I can't grasp any die hard nationalist sitting in Ibrox which, like it or not, is a world wide symbol of Unionist and Loyalist culture 

2 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

:tu:

But all the taigs and nationalists would say the only reason you support those causes is cause your a Rangers fan

Don't see how folk can be so narrow minded and black and white about things.

Everyone of us was a Rangers fan before we favoured one political party or another. 

I've got plenty of political views that go against the majority of loyalist and Rangers fans.

I just think that supporting Rangers means you should at least respect the club's history and traditions. Too many folk think we should stop singing certain songs and waving certain flags when at the end of the day it's part of our history.

It would be one thing if we had UDA flags and had banners with Michael Stone on them, that should be kept to loyalist nights etc, but the fact is the taigs can have blatant IRA banners and get away with it while we are called scum for singing songs about the UVF because the paramilitary shares their name 

Me too. I also happen to be up and down on the Monarchy, atheist and quite left wing (as well as being pro-Ulster Unionist and generally just Unionist).

There may be some people that are Protestant, Unionist, Monarchist, Right Wing, Tory voters naturally, but if anyone chooses that as some football based package they need to have a look at themselves and consider whether they're just being a bit sheepy.

I have no problem with PUL being part of our heritage, I just wish that it'd be more focused on celebrating the Ulster part of it sometimes than greetin about the Pope and being obsessive about the IRA. Pro-PUL rather than overtly anti-Republican, especially when some of the Ulster songs are really beautiful.

Whenever I see some drunk guy walking down the middle of the street singing about fucking the Pope I just think that he's more interested in annoying people than celebrating any cultural history.

8 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Well, I hope he comes back anyway.

8 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I know a guy who still doesn't go because he "Can't forgive what they let happen"... I say fair enough but no loss to us

I do know plenty of folk who haven't been to games since 2012 who've now came back acting staunch as fuck which annoys me cause if you were to call them out they'd spit the dummy

It's a strange situation because I've never asked for any recognition for following my team when we're getting pumped off Alloa but at the same time I get annoyed when folk who didn't go start complaining about things when they've only been back a season or 2

Always sounds like the excuse they've been looking for to me, that kind of thing.

4 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I try to separate it too but there's a line at some point 

I know men who have fought in NI and Afghanistan and Iraq who support celtic, baffles me, how can anyone who has fought for their country sit in celtic park during their IRA fests while they sing about shooting  them?

Same as I can't grasp any die hard nationalist sitting in Ibrox which, like it or not, is a world wide symbol of Unionist and Loyalist culture 

That just strikes me as the family being more important thing. Sellic is probably a family thing to them too, and that trumps the rest.

Just now, Inigo said:

Me too. I also happen to be up and down on the Monarchy, atheist and quite left wing (as well as being pro-Ulster Unionist and generally just Unionist).

There may be some people that are Protestant, Unionist, Monarchist, Right Wing, Tory voters naturally, but if anyone chooses that as some football based package they need to have a look at themselves and consider whether they're just being a bit sheepy.

I'm a Loyalist and unionist and I vote Tory although id vote for another party if I felt so inclined

Im not a huge fan of Isreal and it annoys me when I see Israel flags at Ibrox as I don't see the point in getting involved in that nonsense 

But as I said i care more about Rangers than any political party or religion, but I know many feel differently, I just can't grasp any die hard unionist supporting celtic or any diehard nationalist or republican supporting Rangers

And when folk say "aye but its just a football team" I think fair enough but then you must not feel the same way about Rangers as I and other Bears do 

I fully recognise how immature it seems to sat "Rangers comes first" but at the end of the day religion is bullshit and all politicians are cunts. I don't support Scotland in football because I can't stand the tartan army and the SFA who hate Rangers because we are the most successful Club and the Pul club 

I suppose it's ignorance on my part failing to see how others feel but at the end of the day fuck them and God Bless the Rangers and King Billy and The UVF

1 minute ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I'm a Loyalist and unionist and I vote Tory although id vote for another party if I felt so inclined

Im not a huge fan of Isreal and it annoys me when I see Israel flags at Ibrox as I don't see the point in getting involved in that nonsense 

But as I said i care more about Rangers than any political party or religion, but I know many feel differently, I just can't grasp any die hard unionist supporting celtic or any diehard nationalist or republican supporting Rangers

And when folk say "aye but its just a football team" I think fair enough but then you must not feel the same way about Rangers as I and other Bears do 

I fully recognise how immature it seems to sat "Rangers comes first" but at the end of the day religion is bullshit and all politicians are cunts. I don't support Scotland in football because I can't stand the tartan army and the SFA who hate Rangers because we are the most successful Club and the Pul club 

I suppose it's ignorance on my part failing to see how others feel but at the end of the day fuck them and God Bless the Rangers and King Billy and The UVF

The Israel thing is the only thing I don't get, think that's absolutely tragic.

I'd side with them over Palestine but don't agree with bringing their flag to games at all.

7 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I have no problem with PUL being part of our heritage, I just wish that it'd be more focused on celebrating the Ulster part of it sometimes than greetin about the Pope and being obsessive about the IRA. Pro-PUL rather than overtly anti-Republican, especially when some of the Ulster songs are really beautiful.

Whenever I see some drunk guy walking down the middle of the street singing about fucking the Pope I just think that he's more interested in annoying people than celebrating any cultural history.

Yeah I get that too 

You see folk saying before Orange walks "let's go get it up the taigs" when it should be more about celebrating your culture than hating anyone else's

The opinions of nationalists and republicans sickens me but at the end of the day the Glorious Revolution was fought for civil and religious liberty, the scum have every right to an opinion 

I love Rangers more than I hate celtic., there's been times over the past few years where id wish we'd never have to play them again

2 minutes ago, Frank Harrison said:

The Israel thing is the only thing I don't get, think that's absolutely tragic.

I'd side with them over Palestine but don't agree with bringing their flag to games at all.

I used to be Pro Palestine but now I think they should just nuke the whole region

Most loyalist only support Israel because the taigs support Palestine

The taigs pretend to be this left wing Antifa group while supporting Ireland who supported the Nazis, fuck knows how they make up their political views which is why I wish we'd stay away from that nonsense 

Unionism and Loyalism and Protestant values are an integral part of our Clubs history, I'm glad we are an all inclusive club but we must respect our history and traditions regardless of ones religion  or politics, but our history and traditions made us what we all and all true Bears regardless of religion or creed respect that 

Just now, With Heart and Hand said:

I used to be Pro Palestine but now I think they should just nuke the whole region

Most loyalist only support Israel because the taigs support Palestine

The taigs pretend to be this left wing Antifa group while supporting Ireland who supported the Nazis, fuck knows how they make up their political views which is why I wish we'd stay away from that nonsense 

Unionism and Loyalism and Protestant values are an integral part of our Clubs history, I'm glad we are an all inclusive club but we must respect our history and traditions regardless of ones religion  or politics, but our history and traditions made us what we all and all true Bears regardless of religion or creed respect that 

Meh about being all inclusive, I generally wouldn't want to keep company with yes voting Rangers fans.

Just now, Frank Harrison said:

Meh about being all inclusive, I generally wouldn't want to keep company with yes voting Rangers fans.

Near enough every bear I know who regularly attends games and actively supports us were unionists who voted no

But I know loads of armchair Facebook fans who voted yes, but they can say what they like as they're irrelevant 

5 minutes ago, RangersScotty9 said:

Pay close attention to how one sided lefties are on the divide between Palastine and Israel, you will notice how pro Palastine they are without even a thought, not even a question, there's a reason and I'll leave you to have a good think over the reason why that is.

I'm probably one of the most right wing cunts on here, I just don't see how the bible gives Israel rights to Palestinian lands esp considering the Palestinians played no part in the holocaust 

I'd sympathise  with  the arabs more if they hadn't  taken the jihadist route which is why we should just "bomb ralotta thum" AFAIC

3 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

Near enough every bear I know who regularly attends games and actively supports us were unionists who voted no

But I know loads of armchair Facebook fans who voted yes, but they can say what they like as they're irrelevant 

Yeah would agree with that.

6 minutes ago, RangersScotty9 said:

Pay close attention to how one sided lefties are on the divide between Palastine and Israel, you will notice how pro Palastine they are without even a thought, not even a question, there's a reason and I'll leave you to have a good think over the reason why that is.

Oh here we go...

Yawn.

Just now, With Heart and Hand said:

I'm probably one of the most right wing cunts on here, I just don't see how the bible gives Israel rights to Palestinian lands esp considering the Palestinians played no part in the holocaust 

I'd sympathise  with  the arabs more if they hadn't  taken the jihadist route which is why we should just "bomb ralotta thum"

I comprehend where you're coming from mate, at the end of the day it seems very popular for the left to side with Palastine and there's an interesting video by Yaron Brook who I'm an admirer of personally who speaks about this issue regarding capitalism. He makes an interesting argument on the whole thing anyway.

It's no surprise why then you saw in the corner of the piggery Celtic supporters with Palastine flags, very common with communists.