The cultural aspect of following Rangers

30 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I try to separate it too but there's a line at some point 

I know men who have fought in NI and Afghanistan and Iraq who support celtic, baffles me, how can anyone who has fought for their country sit in celtic park during their IRA fests while they sing about shooting  them?

Same as I can't grasp any die hard nationalist sitting in Ibrox which, like it or not, is a world wide symbol of Unionist and Loyalist culture 

Not so baffling Willis, they probably dislike that aspect of their support and it's all about the football. Just like yes voting Rangers fans. Same but different 

I served my country too but never fought anywhere, I was lucky in that respect so have huge affiliation with our armed forces but I don't link that to Rangers or perhaps I unconsciously do. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Frank Harrison said:

How big a part(if any) in us retaining our entire support over the last 5 years do you think this played?

Personally it's the only enjoyable thing about following Rangers these day for me, as bad as this sounds the football club and everything that goes with it is more of a chore than an enjoyment.

Before anyone tells me I'm vile in their opinion I already know. :crabflute:

Works for me as well Frank.

But not as an add on, its more all part of the complete package with neither being inter-dependent of the other.

14 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Not so baffling Willis, they probably dislike that aspect of their support and it's all about the football. Just like yes voting Rangers fans. Same but different 

I served my country too but never fought anywhere, I was lucky in that respect so have huge affiliation with our armed forces but I don't link that to Rangers or perhaps I unconsciously do. 

Aye but if it meant that much to them they wouldn't sit thru it every other week.

I don't particularly buy into it - I'm not from a PUL family, but I accept and embrace that it's part of Rangers identity. I think it's fair enough to support a football team based on your background or political/religious beliefs, but I don't believe that those beliefs should be based on which football team you support.

I think it comes as a trade off, but I definitely wouldn't change it.

Just now, philiprfc said:

I don't particularly buy into it - I'm not from a PUL family, but I accept and embrace that it's part of Rangers identity. I think it's fair enough to support a football team based on your background or political/religious beliefs, but I don't believe that those beliefs should be based on which football team you support.

I think it comes as a trade off, but I definitely wouldn't change it.

The fact is every child cares more about football than they do politics, many clubs have political leanings but its every fans choice wether they let that influence their choice of politics, most are thankfully smart enough not to

Just now, With Heart and Hand said:

The fact is every child cares more about football than they do politics, many clubs have political leanings but its every fans choice wether they let that influence their choice of politics, most are thankfully smart enough not to

Sure, kids are unlikely to hold political opinions that would influence which team to support, but I was thinking more along the lines of people who maybe in recent years have stopped following the club as much (or entirely) due to their stance in the IndyRef and the subsequent political landscape that came after. I know one or two. I can understand why, even if I really don't agree. Better out than in I think.

34 minutes ago, wishawbear87 said:

Goes hand in hand with me,grew up in  loyalist household and jiined  loyalist band at the age of 11 and still there today at the age of 31,some times if it wasnt for the culture there to cheer me up ad be depressed as fuck the way the football is at times :UK:

Few good bands from your area mate, the County F.B were tremendous at Alloa, got a video of them marching backwards:lol:

1 hour ago, philiprfc said:

Sure, kids are unlikely to hold political opinions that would influence which team to support, but I was thinking more along the lines of people who maybe in recent years have stopped following the club as much (or entirely) due to their stance in the IndyRef and the subsequent political landscape that came after. I know one or two. I can understand why, even if I really don't agree. Better out than in I think.

Better dead than alive tbh.

Unfortunately it is a bit of a dying breed. 

For me though it's a major part of following Rangers. You meet those who have the same political views, who sing the same songs and understand the history of them. 

These days those songs are also a dying breed due to the social media generation. It's a real shame but one or two guys have said to me they've heard a couple of people around them saying things like aye fuck the queen in a conversation. 

Until we as a fanbase pull in the same direction nothing from top to bottom will change, were getting further divided as theyears go on

36 minutes ago, wishawbear87 said:

Thats the band a play in m8 :crabflute:

Superb band mate, i think i have shown everyone i know (who is our way inclined) that video i took of them marching backwards in Alloa.Screenshot_20170821-211545.thumb.png.91515f409a51e138d8e94cc646ebc90f.png

What is that all about? Trying to remember another band doing that but can't.

Screenshot_20170821-211653.png

3 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Superb band mate, i think i have shown everyone i know (who is our way inclined) that video i took of them marching backwards in Alloa.Screenshot_20170821-211545.thumb.png.91515f409a51e138d8e94cc646ebc90f.png

Hell of a good mate . Dare to be different

2 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I know a guy who still doesn't go because he "Can't forgive what they let happen"... I say fair enough but no loss to us

I do know plenty of folk who haven't been to games since 2012 who've now came back acting staunch as fuck which annoys me cause if you were to call them out they'd spit the dummy

It's a strange situation because I've never asked for any recognition for following my team when we're getting pumped off Alloa but at the same time I get annoyed when folk who didn't go start complaining about things when they've only been back a season or 2

Bugs me too. 

Some of the sell outs are actually murder when it's filled with angry bawbag glory hunters who just show up to big games and expect to flatten everyone in our path, and whose dummy flies out at the smallest of things. 

48 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Hell of a good mate . Dare to be different

I showed my dad it and asked if he had ever seen it done in all his years following bands all round the country, but his memory is hazy from drinking.

Best about it, he can't follow the parades far now because his legs are knackered but i do and never really drink at them.

My culture and heritage goes hand in hand with supporting my club for me, my boy will follow in my footsteps too and our culture will never die and even in these times of adversity our club will always have a strong and loyal fanbase.

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

Wev alaways done that since i joined the band mate,dont do it as often now,only on special occasions alloa was  good day for it