The cultural aspect of following Rangers

I'm proud of my upbringing which was a very much a Scottish Protestant one and everything that entailed including supporting Rangers and I loved the common values of my upbringing which I shared with my fellow supporters that made the bond of supporting the same football team even stronger.

The one thing recently that saddens me is that I think because of the rise of Scottish nationalism the majority of fans see ourselves only as a British club and neglected the Scottish identity (which was always as strong as the British identity of the club).

I'd like to see us claiming the St Andrews flag back from the Nationalists and see it flying proudly alongside the Union flags,the Red Hands and any other flag of any country where supporters come from.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Unfortunately it is a bit of a dying breed. 

For me though it's a major part of following Rangers. You meet those who have the same political views, who sing the same songs and understand the history of them. 

These days those songs are also a dying breed due to the social media generation. It's a real shame but one or two guys have said to me they've heard a couple of people around them saying things like aye fuck the queen in a conversation. 

Until we as a fanbase pull in the same direction nothing from top to bottom will change, were getting further divided as theyears go on

Pulling in the same direction doesn't mean being mindless sheep, though. You're never going to get 100s of thousands of people following a football club having the same politics. That would just be weird. Pulling in the same direction means doing your best for the club regardless of politics. My thoughts on the Queen, whatever they may be, have no bearing on my ability to pull in the right direction for the club.

20 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

I'm proud of my upbringing which was a very much a Scottish Protestant one and everything that entailed including supporting Rangers and I loved the common values of my upbringing which I shared with my fellow supporters that made the bond of supporting the same football team even stronger.

The one thing recently that saddens me is that I think because of the rise of Scottish nationalism the majority of fans see ourselves only as a British club and neglected the Scottish identity (which was always as strong as the British identity of the club).

I'd like to see us claiming the St Andrews flag back from the Nationalists and see it flying proudly alongside the Union flags,the Red Hands and any other flag of any country where supporters come from.

Good post:tu:

Modern Scottish nationalism has a lot to answer for.

I don't believe in indoctrinating children into any religion, or any political or belief system 

I've always said that as long as she's happy I don't care if my Daughter grows up to be one religion or another, one orientation or another, or supports one political party or another

But I've always felt it's my right to raise my Daughter to support the Club I love so in that sense Rangers means more than all that other stuff

21 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I don't believe in indoctrinating children into any religion, or any political or belief system 

I've always said that as long as she's happy I don't care if my Daughter grows up to be one religion or another, one orientation or another, or supports one political party or another

But I've always felt it's my right to raise my Daughter to support the Club I love so in that sense Rangers means more than all that other stuff

Wonderfully tortured philosophy there. 

I would say reading these kinds of the threads the psyche of the majority of supporters is that of a confused teenager. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's obvious as an entity we're going through something of a transition. Nothing wrong with that.

Just amusing some of the "staunch about being staunch" kind of attitudes folk are proud of on here. Doesn't stand up to even the most basic scrutiny.