Walter Smith's 11

Anyone who reads the Scottish Daily Mail will have read his interview but here's his top eleven of the players he's worked with.

Andy Goram

Maurice Malpas

Richard Gough

Terry Butcher

Sasa Papac

Brian Laudrup

Graeme Souness

Paul Gasgoine

Davie Cooper

Ally McCoist

Mark Hately 

How I would love too see that team on the park today .

He also mentions that Billy Connolly gave him advice on how to handle Gazza.

"You will always have to live with the genius. The genius will not live with you"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, WGOH said:

Mad Sasa, testament to how good he was he's managed to get into a Walter Smith all time XI

What a nod that is to Papac considering everyone Smith has worked with. I don't quite agree from a fans point of view. Off the top of my head I'd have thought Robertson however who am I to argue with Smith, who's worked with these guys day in day out. That's quite a feat for Papac.

20 minutes ago, WGOH said:

Mad Sasa, testament to how good he was he's managed to get into a Walter Smith all time XI

The odd thing (apart from those of us who watched Walter's teams) is that he has two left backs, so presume Malpas is right back? Also, amazing to have two left backs and neither of them are Davie Robertson.

1 hour ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Anyone who reads the Scottish Daily Mail will have read his interview but here's his top eleven of the players he's worked with.

Andy Goram

Maurice Malpas

Richard Gough

Terry Butcher

Sasa Papac

Brian Laudrup

Graeme Souness

Paul Gasgoine

Davie Cooper

Ally McCoist

Mark Hately 

How I would love too see that team on the park today .

He also mentions that Billy Connolly gave him advice on how to handle Gazza.

"You will always have to live with the genius. The genius will not live with you"

I see papac as the 'surprise' inclusion but I thought he was great for us - some team!

Papac instead of Robertson is a real surprise there... especially as Robertson had won so much and played a big part during the 9 and had that great combination with Laudrup .... no disrespect to sasa who was a great servant during smiths second spell....for me sasa was 3rd best left back we have had in the last 30 years imo... still surprised .... wonder if there was a wee issue ther between Smith and Robertson  in later years?....