Walter Smith's 11

1 hour ago, Laudrup1984 said:

What a nod that is to Papac considering everyone Smith has worked with. I don't quite agree from a fans point of view. Off the top of my head I'd have thought Robertson however who am I to argue with Smith, who's worked with these guys day in day out. That's quite a feat for Papac.

That's some testament to big Papac considering the players we have had at full back, Robertson, Stevens and my personal preference would have been Stuart Munro who held his own at the start of the Souness revolution. 

What a team though.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Papac used to drive me mental at times. Too lax at times and was culpable of not stopping enough balls into our box but as soon as he was out the team you realised how good he was and overall what you were missing with him.

Great player for us but don't think he'd be much craic to go for a pint with.

23 minutes ago, Polo said:

Surely Gary Stevens would've been in at RB instead. 

Remember Smith transfer listed stevens, no doubt he was a great right back, however malpas was a great full back too. Don't think it's any slight on the players we have had that he's included malpas.

Think his loyalty is something that every fan has to respect. There's no doubt malpas could have left and made more money elsewhere, but he stayed a one club man.

Any player who is a top player at their club and chooses not to move has my respect, especially in this day and age.

2 hours ago, Lord Lockin said:

Aye and one of the first things  McCoist did was  move him into midfield for Wallace

Your hole. 

Papac's last season with us was mainly hampered by injury. He retired from football at the end of 2012. Wallace was his replacement when he was injured  

But aye you can't stop talking shite about Rangers. 

47 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Your hole. 

Papac's last season with us was mainly hampered by injury. He retired from football at the end of 2012. Wallace was his replacement when he was injured  

Remember it well and the clowns on here that used to say Wallace was better than  Sasa.

37 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Your hole. 

Check your facts old bean about Sasa he was moved into midfield,  and I'm having a go at McCoist not Rangers

I've always thought David Weir's been overrated by our support.  Papac, Bougherra, and Cuellar, were all great players that don't get enough of the credit for how solid our defence was.  Add to that we had a solid keeper as well.  

Btw I should have added in my original post that he would have had Ian Durrant, Paul Sturrock or Davie Narey on the bench and for football purists it would be a 4-4-2 formation.

Bare in mind that the list is only players he's worked with and not necessarily Rangers players, he didn't include his time at MU because he wasn't there long enough.

4 hours ago, Amac9 said:

Papac used to drive me mental at times. Too lax at times and was culpable of not stopping enough balls into our box but as soon as he was out the team you realised how good he was and overall what you were missing with him.

Great player for us but don't think he'd be much craic to go for a pint with.

I believe he gew up in an area ravaged by the Balkan war, must surely have had some impact on his character. 

20 minutes ago, gsa said:

I believe he gew up in an area ravaged by the Balkan war, must surely have had some impact on his character. 

Was there not a Croatian footballer who was a top star but was on the streets fighting the war?

Sure it was mentioned at one of the big tournaments they qualified for.

But aye, character strengthening indeed being brought up in a war zone.

5 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Was there not a Croatian footballer who was a top star but was on the streets fighting the war?

Sure it was mentioned at one of the big tournaments they qualified for.

But aye, character strengthening indeed being brought up in a war zone.

I think there was a few of them across the three countries. Boban and co were involved in that on-field riot that caused a lot of tension prior to the actual war breaking out. 

12 minutes ago, gsa said:

I think there was a few of them across the three countries. Boban and co were involved in that on-field riot that caused a lot of tension prior to the actual war breaking out. 

Was Boban i was thinking about, just googled it as the memory is hazy.

Papac was decent, not really any better than that, but he was consistently decent and more than most players he put it all on the line every time he went up for a ball.

Remember him lying on the goal line sparked out, the guy was one concussion away from being in a persistent vegetable state and still put his head where it hurts for us. A rarity in the modern game, a proper man.