De Boer a game away from sack

KWBear

4 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

No, my point was that other teams actually challenge and win the dutch league as well you know.

Ok, point taken so let's add a bit more balance, Aberdeen came closest to the beggars in our absence, what's their record like in winning the top league in Scotland? When did they last win it?

They have 4 league titles. That's double what AZ Alkmaar have ever won.

Thanks for coming.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Never said he was great

. But clearly have to have something about you to win 4 in a row at a club that hasn't won a title in a while. You can win a one off league but winning a fees a bit different

Paul Le Guen won 3 titles in a row with Lyon and done nothing after leaving them. Sometimes it's just a case of being in charge of the right club at the right time.

Steve McLaren managed in Holland for 2 seasons and managed to win FC Twente their first ever title in that time.

If anything could sum up how poor the Dutch league actually is, it's that.

If it happens and palace sack him it's the 2nd team to sack him after a handful of games. A bit like MW where he doesn't want to change his 3-4-3 formation. Imo 3-4-3 is a mental formation even more so when the front 3 are all attacking minded. Asking to concede 2\3 goals a game. 

7 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Aye but I picked the weakest team there to suit my comparison.

Much like you did in your original post :lol:

Weakest team perhaps, they won it was it 8/9 years ago? So presented a proper challenge much more recently.

When did the sheep last win it? 83? 

Not saying this gives De Boer managerial credence throughout Europe (his record so far proves otherwise) but the point was not to downplay his achievements in Holland just because he was at Ajax, it's not a 1 horse race like it was here when Ronnie the rocket was in charge.

De Boer would do well at a club where the footballing ethos (his ethos) is already in place, along with a core of players able to deliver.

Somewhere like Arsenal, where he could build on what was already there.

The club he chose, the rebuild job required, the money and time it would take to deliver results compared to the limited time he would likely be afforded.. ..thats the error.

Too big a job, too little time.

11 minutes ago, BailliestonTB said:

If it happens and palace sack him it's the 2nd team to sack him after a handful of games. A bit like MW where he doesn't want to change his 3-4-3 formation. Imo 3-4-3 is a mental formation even more so when the front 3 are all attacking minded. Asking to concede 2\3 goals a game. 

3-4-3 won that league last season.

23 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Paul Le Guen won 3 titles in a row with Lyon and done nothing after leaving them. Sometimes it's just a case of being in charge of the right club at the right time.

Steve McLaren managed in Holland for 2 seasons and managed to win FC Twente their first ever title in that time.

If anything could sum up how poor the Dutch league actually is, it's that.

Lyon won titles before and after le guen so that comparison is irrelevant.

as I said earlier he won 4 in a row not 1 like mclaren

5 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Weakest team perhaps, they won it was it 8/9 years ago? So presented a proper challenge much more recently.

When did the sheep last win it? 83? 

Not saying this gives De Boer managerial credence throughout Europe (his record so far proves otherwise) but the point was not to downplay his achievements in Holland just because he was at Ajax, it's not a 1 horse race like it was here when Ronnie the rocket was in charge.

For the most part I think Dutch football is shit. It's more or less the same 1/2 horse race that Scottish football always has been, possibly 3 now with Feyenoord coming back on to the scene. Teams like AZ and FC Twente winning it once every 30 years just makes it seem a bit better but you'd expect Ajax or PSV to be the champions each season, depending on whether Feyenoord are a one season wonder then they could be back in the mix again.

Winning those titles was obviously an achievement for de Boer but I suspect he got a bit lucky with them as well and he knew it himself hence why he jumped ship as soon as PSV took the title back and kept his stock high. His record since leaving would certainly suggest that.

1 minute ago, OhW said:

Oh I thought by saying "I'm not being serious" that you meant you had just made-up the Stromsgodset stat as an example. My bad.

Nope. It's a real stat.

1 minute ago, Gustav said:

Courtois

Azpilicueta Luiz Cahill

Moses Kante Matic Alonso

Pedro Cossta Hazard

Give or take that's the team/system that won it.

Looks about right to me mate my bad regardless it's a lot easier to do the formation with Kante & Matic etc than it is with Zara & Townsend.

37 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

For the most part I think Dutch football is shit. It's more or less the same 1/2 horse race that Scottish football always has been, possibly 3 now with Feyenoord coming back on to the scene. Teams like AZ and FC Twente winning it once every 30 years just makes it seem a bit better but you'd expect Ajax or PSV to be the champions each season, depending on whether Feyenoord are a one season wonder then they could be back in the mix again.

Winning those titles was obviously an achievement for de Boer but I suspect he got a bit lucky with them as well and he knew it himself hence why he jumped ship as soon as PSV took the title back and kept his stock high. His record since leaving would certainly suggest that.

Nope. It's a real stat.

I actually think the Dutch league is good, i'm not exactly going out my way to watch it weekly but anytime i have caught the program on BT sports i have been impressed by the football.

The ball by and large stays on the deck for most teams and the style is much more technical than the hoofball in this country.

So by your logic, do you think Walter Smith wasn't up to much as a manager then? 

49 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

De Boer would do well at a club where the footballing ethos (his ethos) is already in place, along with a core of players able to deliver.

Somewhere like Arsenal, where he could build on what was already there.

The club he chose, the rebuild job required, the money and time it would take to deliver results compared to the limited time he would likely be afforded.. ..thats the error.

Too big a job, too little time.

The Southampton job was perfect for him IMO. Once he didn't get that job he should have waited and bided his time for something else to come up rather than take a job that's clearly a bad fit.

25 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

I actually think the Dutch league is good, i'm not exactly going out my way to watch it weekly but anytime i have caught the program on BT sports i have been impressed by the football.

The ball by and large stays on the deck for most teams and the style is much more technical than the hoofball in this country.

So by your logic, do you think Walter Smith wasn't up to much as a manager then? 

Walter Smith had 2 successful spells with us as well as a successful spell with Scotland inbetween that.

He also didn't resign the first time he lost the league title.

I'm not sure how you can compare the 2.

2 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Walter Smith had 2 successful spells with us as well as a successful spell with Scotland inbetween that.

I think the same way about your comparison of De Boer and Le Guen.

2 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Both successful at 1 club and failed everywhere else since then.

Hope that clears things up for you.

That's an extremely wide range for comparison. Your first comparison as wrong is well, because Le Guen resigned from Lyon, before coming to us, after Lyon were champions. Managers succeed and fail for a whole host of reasons.

Palace board realise they have made a mistake.  They signed him on his reputation at Ajax and didn't consider how much their current squad would have to change to adapt to his system.  With the PL as it is now unfortunately he will definitely be sacked if they lose this weekend.  On the plus side it means FdB would become available again

The Palace boark kind of reminds me of another that made the wrong choice and would jump at the chance to be able to go back in time and make another....

57 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

The Southampton job was perfect for him IMO. Once he didn't get that job he should have waited and bided his time for something else to come up rather than take a job that's clearly a bad fit.

Yep.

Would agree with all that.

29 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

That's an extremely wide range for comparison. Your first comparison as wrong is well, because Le Guen resigned from Lyon, before coming to us, after Lyon were champions. Managers succeed and fail for a whole host of reasons.

It's not wrong. Le Guen was a success at Lyon and a failure afterwards. De Boer was a success at Ajax and has failed since.

Seems like a fair comparison to me.

31 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I thought it would be obvious the comparison i was making, the 2 horse race thing, well in Holland it's actually more than 2 as we have already discussed.

Walter did ok for Scotland, i wouldn't say succesful unless you are basing it on the rise in the fifa rankings which are a nonsense at times.