Bearsden bear

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Bearsden bear said:

My boy was watching some match preview thing on demand just there from BT i think

Anyway, Boyd and kris commons were at Mar Hall previewing the weekends game and the show finished with Boydy playing 'simply the best' on the piano whilst commons is peeking in the window.   Boydy - Spl all time top score, concerto pianist & a Gers Legend

It's the sky sports weekly SPFL show, one of the first one was at the piggery and commons shouting in here Kris and goes on about the treble for Big Boydy to say come on over to the south side with me and see the club who's won it 7 times.

If I was a Killie fan I would be fucking raging 

24 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

It's the sky sports weekly SPFL show, one of the first one was at the piggery and commons shouting in here Kris and goes on about the treble for Big Boydy to say come on over to the south side with me and see the club who's won it 7 times.

Why? What have Killie won? Boyd has never hidden the fact he is a bluenose. Commons on the other hand is as plastic as they come.

56 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

He might have his critics, but there is no doubt where big Boydys heart lies 

5 hours ago, Bermondsey Bear said:

I'm clearly not stating my point well enough.  I agree that Boyd has a great record for goals and made a significant contribution to both cups and leagues.  But as I see it, you can get plenty of strikers in Scotland, stick them into our team and they will thrive on the fact we're attacking and creating more chances.  A 20 goal a season striker for say Hearts, could be a 30 goal a season striker for us.  The sort of striker we need is more like McCoist in as much as he scored for fun against the scum.  Wee Alfredo might be that bear, we need to wait and see, but I recall the audible groans that there used to be on another board when the match against them was coming up and we knew the goals would need to come from elsewhere as Boyd wasn't going to get them.

Its a view, calm down and Leeds Bear, try reading slowly and carefully in future.

Boyd had already scored 17 goals in only 20 appearances for Kilmarnock before we signed him in January 2006. 

5 hours ago, Copland bear said:

I think all ten of Kilmarnocks supporters already long knew Boyd is one of us.

I must admit I never really appreciated Boyd as a player for us (first time round I mean, second time round he was finished)

He used to frustrate the shite out of me but he had his place in the team and with retrospect, looking back, he was invaluable especially because in the past 2/3 years when you see how we can't finish and miss ridiculous chances it does strike home how under-valued Boyd was first time round.

Don't get me wrong I'd never have started him against celtic or big European games as he wasn't good enough and wouldn't get the same chances as he would at Ibrox against the Hamilton's and Kilmarnock's of this world but he had his uses.

I like him as a pundit now. He's sharp-shooting and speaks from the heart and is mostly correct in his stances too. 

48 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Every fucking goal he scored and we score has real meaning. 

He was posted missing in games against the taigs and did not have a CL goal.  When he was at his peak, we were often in the CL.  So it's 235 games and 138 goals, that's a goal every 153 minutes ( a goal every 2 and a half hours).  That's a tidy return.  But if we just do big games, in 19 Euro ties and at least 20 games against the filth (probably more) he got a total of 4 goals, that's a goal every 877 minutes or every 14 and a half hours.  So if we exclude Champions League, Europa Cup and Filth games, he was a good club servant.

I liked Boyd.  I'm of an older vintage.  But let's remember, we are not Killie,.  At Rangers you are judged on the marquee matches.

31 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I must admit I never really appreciated Boyd as a player for us (first time round I mean, second time round he was finished)

He used to frustrate the shite out of me but he had his place in the team and with retrospect, looking back, he was invaluable especially because in the past 2/3 years when you see how we can't finish and miss ridiculous chances it does strike home how under-valued Boyd was first time round.

Don't get me wrong I'd never have started him against celtic or big European games as he wasn't good enough and wouldn't get the same chances as he would at Ibrox against the Hamilton's and Kilmarnock's of this world but he had his uses.

I like him as a pundit now. He's sharp-shooting and speaks from the heart and is mostly correct in his stances too. 

Agreed. I like that he doesn't feel the need to appease the tramps.

3 hours ago, Real Ranger said:

Boyd had already scored 17 goals in only 20 appearances for Kilmarnock before we signed him in January 2006. 

So that was every reason to sign him.  I'm not challenging that, I'm not challenging his contribution to cups and titles won.  I'm sort of saying he would not change the dynamic in the team now, even at his pomp.

4 minutes ago, Bermondsey Bear said:

He was posted missing in games against the taigs and did not have a CL goal.  When he was at his peak, we were often in the CL.  So it's 235 games and 138 goals, that's a goal every 153 minutes ( a goal every 2 and a half hours).  That's a tidy return.  But if we just do big games, in 19 Euro ties and at least 20 games against the filth (probably more) he got a total of 4 goals, that's a goal every 877 minutes or every 14 and a half hours.  So if we exclude Champions League, Europa Cup and Filth games, he was a good club servant.

I liked Boyd.  I'm of an older vintage.  But let's remember, we are not Killie, you are judged on the marquee matches.

How many games did we win by a single goal that he scored? He was a fantastic player for us.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

He looks in better shape now than he did when  he played for us. 

If Boyd had played when two up top was popular he would have a similar old firm and European record as Ally. 

Boyd was not suited to playing up front himself (and I doubt Ally would have been as prolific as a sole striker either). 

Both very good facing goal and being in the box. 

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

He looks in better shape now than he did when  he played for us. 

Mind when the papes signed Robbie Keane on loan and they were spitting the dummy out saying the linesmen can't keep up with him because he's "so fast"

Mind Walter Smith at a presser saying "Eh? how do you think I feel? my striker (Boyd) can't keep up with the linesmen" :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

If Boyd had played when two up top was popular he would have a similar old firm and European record as Ally. 

Boyd was not suited to playing up front himself (and I doubt Ally would have been as prolific as a sole striker either). 

Both very good facing goal and being in the box. 

Do you know what mate, that's a fantastic point.

8 hours ago, Bermondsey Bear said:

So that was every reason to sign him.  I'm not challenging that, I'm not challenging his contribution to cups and titles won.  I'm sort of saying he would not change the dynamic in the team now, even at his pomp.

Last season goals were hard to come buy and we were crying out for someone like Boyd at his pomp.

This season it looks like we may have found the answer in Morelos . Like Boyd  I will judge him on how many he scored against all opposition  not just the games against the beggars.

Boyd only struggled when we played him as the lone striker , which is a position that suited none of his attributes. He was never the quickest,and was never the greatest at holding the ball up, but play him as part of a front two and give him good service,the ball was in the back of the net. You can't ask for much more than that, and something we have sorely missed up til now