Barnsley owner's letter to fans

RFC55

"I am living on borrowed time. I live in pain, but living is better than the alternative. Cancer is insidious, cruel and rapacious and I implore everyone to have regular checks to stop it gaining hold.

"Recent months have brought into focus the things that are important to me. I have spent a lot of my life pursuing the ultimately pointless when there were better things to do. My family have always been important to me but I should have spent more time telling them so.

"I do now and it creates joyfulness in our relationships. Of course, my football club has been important too and I am lucky that my family have shared my love of Barnsley FC.

"For much of the time since I became the club's buyer of last resort, I allowed others to run the club, fearing that I did not know enough to win the respect and supporter of the 'football people'. It is ironic therefore that we enjoyed one of our most successful periods when I did take up the mantle ending in two successful visits to Wembley.

"Maybe, one day before too long I will tell the secrets of how we did it. Certainly, the whole club working as one was instrumental. I don't know if we will ever repeat the sense of togetherness of that season, which extended also to the fans, their tolerance and incredible support.

"There are many things I wanted to achieve before my custodianship of our fabulous team ended at the hand of the Grim Reaper. Of course, I wanted to see us get back to the Premier League and make some enhancements to the iconic West Stand. On a personal level, I wanted to bring back together all the 1912 FA Cup final medals, but I only managed to retrieve five.

"Most people realise I was a reluctant custodian but what has made it bearable against the occasional cruelty of the internet world is the kindness shown to me by so many fans on a personal basis.

"People are not shy in coming forward and telling me they appreciate my efforts, even if I have fallen short of their aspirations. I receive many letters and cards from fans who share with me their memories and best wishes. I am grateful to them all.

"Regarding this season, I think we will get stronger as it goes on and our team gels, not unlike the double Wembley season. I do not expect to live to see the ultimate outcome, but I travel in hope.

"I wish you all a good football season and thank you for your kindness down the years."

No exactly an emotional type but fuck me that's hard reading. That must've been tough to write for the guy. An absolute bastard of a disease. The line I've bolded was a tough read.

All the best to the guy.

Horrible disease. Has taken most of my older relatives like my grans and grandas. Two within a month of each other over Christmas when I was a boy. My girlfriend is doing a course on it just now as she works with older people in Glasgow through health and fitness with them and she has to learn about these diseases and dementia and such. Brave man to write that and predicting his own fate. Would I be the same I'm not so sure. Good luck to him and his like out there.

What a read, sincere and heartbreaking, but kind of uplifting especially his remarks about family.

On the football side it shows how much more important than money a genuine love of the game and it's traditions are, shame thse who currently run most of our clubs and sporting institutions do not heed this. 

The bit about the medals impressed me, reminded me too of the Arsenal shares stolen from us and still not retrieved.......

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Lost my brother last week to cancer. Bastard disease. Like that owner he had a lot he wanted to do and see but won't get to. 

Really sorry to hear that Sparkle, bastard of a disease as you say - my thoughts are with you and your family. 

Last season my Dad's best friend died of cancer. He was like a second father to me.

One of his goals was to watch on telly as many Teds games as possible and one of the moments i'll treasure 'til the day I die is getting to watch the Hamilton 1-1 game opening day of the season with him on Rangers TV.

He had survived to see us play again in the top flight and it was the most special game to me.

6 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Last season my Dad's best friend died of cancer. He was like a second father to me.

One of his goals was to watch on telly as many Teds games as possible and one of the moments i'll treasure 'til the day I die is getting to watch the Hamilton 1-1 game opening day of the season with him on Rangers TV.

He had survived to see us play again in the top flight and it was the most special game to me.

A mundane game really, but has a poignant part of your family history. Football, gets a lot of bad press but that brought you close to your dad at his time of need - unfortunately for me I'll not get that with my old man ... he is a total fckn Jambo!!!

3 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

A mundane game really, but has a poignant part of your family history. Football, gets a lot of bad press but that brought you close to your dad at his time of need - unfortunately for me I'll not get that with my old man ... he is a total fckn Jambo!!!

Wasn't my Dad mate, but yeah I get you.

If there was a game I could have been at in my entire lifetime it would be a 3-0 defeat by Hearts at Tynecastle in 85/86, a few years before I was born. Simply because it was the last time my father attended with his father.

Football is so important in our lives, even though in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. But at the end of the day Rangers is part of our culture, and who we are.

16 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Wasn't my Dad mate, but yeah I get you.

If there was a game I could have been at in my entire lifetime it would be a 3-0 defeat by Hearts at Tynecastle in 85/86, a few years before I was born. Simply because it was the last time my father attended with his father.

Football is so important in our lives, even though in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. But at the end of the day Rangers is part of our culture, and who we are.

Sorry pal, misread your original post - when I lived up north a few years back, during our D3 games. Many of our away matches were local to me at Arbroath, Peterhead, Elgin, Montrose etc. I used to make a real effort to attend - getting on buses that I had never bothered before, meeting new pals, and just enjoying the Football.

Many of my friends and colleagues, who are of the sheep variety used to wind me up and ask why I was piling up to Peterhead at 10am on a Sunday morning. Getting pished with Andy Goran in a social club in Mintlaw on jagerbombs at 11am!

I couldn't explain it myself but it was just what I wanted to do, and be amoungst people who knew what we were going through. In terms of fan solidarity, I'll never forget those little grounds getting packed out : and to be fair to those clubs in D3 and D2 most were very welcoming to our crowd.

8 hours ago, cushynumber said:

Lost my mother in June.  4 weeks after diagnosis. She went to the doctors thinking she had a cold.

Really sorry Cushy, 4 weeks doesn't even give you time to realise what's happening. My brother fought the battle for 12 years, yet it was still a shock when it came

11 hours ago, tannerall said:

The bit about the medals impressed me, reminded me too of the Arsenal shares stolen from us and still not retrieved.......

Now getting them back is a worthy cause for the use of the RFFF cash. Not a stand at Auchenhowie.

A terrible disease that must now be the main killer of folks. Lost all the female members of my family to the disease, not easy for them and not easy to watch.

I read that on BBC Sport the other day; very touching and sadly, a novelty in modern football. His passion, not the disease.

He mentions that he's living in pain and that caught my attention. I've lost family to cancer and while we're aware it's a killer, do we every really hear of the actual pain it inflicts? Those who suffer from it often act courageously and with bravery, never mentioning their discomfort.

No surrender, sir.

14 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Lost my brother last week to cancer. Bastard disease. Like that owner he had a lot he wanted to do and see but won't get to. 

Condolences to you mate, at least your brother has no more pain now. Best wishes to the rest of his family too.