Rfc52

Barnsley owner's letter to fans

Horrible disease. Has taken most of my older relatives like my grans and grandas. Two within a month of each other over Christmas when I was a boy. My girlfriend is doing a course on it just now as she works with older people in Glasgow through health and fitness with them and she has to learn about these diseases and dementia and such. Brave man to write that and predicting his own fate. Would I be the same I'm not so sure. Good luck to him and his like out there.

Sparkle    3,384

Lost my brother last week to cancer. Bastard disease. Like that owner he had a lot he wanted to do and see but won't get to. 

Rfc52    28,070
Just now, Sparkle said:

Lost my brother last week to cancer. Bastard disease. Like that owner he had a lot he wanted to do and see but won't get to. 

Ffs sparkle sorry to hear that 

Sparkle    3,384
1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

Ffs sparkle sorry to hear that 

Thank you 

tannerall    11,576

What a read, sincere and heartbreaking, but kind of uplifting especially his remarks about family.

On the football side it shows how much more important than money a genuine love of the game and it's traditions are, shame thse who currently run most of our clubs and sporting institutions do not heed this. 

The bit about the medals impressed me, reminded me too of the Arsenal shares stolen from us and still not retrieved.......

EatDolphins    2,750

No matter how many times we hear it, few of us take it on board. Life is short, sometimes very short. Don't waste it gathering things, spend it with the people you love, doing the things you love

Band of Brothers    7,075
27 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

So sorry it is a totally horrible disease. 

Bears r us    5,396
39 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Very sorry to hear that Sparkle, terrible illness. Condolences to you and your family. 

McEwan's Lager    822

Last season my Dad's best friend died of cancer. He was like a second father to me.

One of his goals was to watch on telly as many Teds games as possible and one of the moments i'll treasure 'til the day I die is getting to watch the Hamilton 1-1 game opening day of the season with him on Rangers TV.

He had survived to see us play again in the top flight and it was the most special game to me.

sandyinroyalblue    10,059

Dignified and courageous would best sum up that letter, hopefully Barnsley bring him a little joy in whatever time he has left.

@Sparkle Sorry to hear about your brother,condolences to you and your family.

6 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Last season my Dad's best friend died of cancer. He was like a second father to me.

One of his goals was to watch on telly as many Teds games as possible and one of the moments i'll treasure 'til the day I die is getting to watch the Hamilton 1-1 game opening day of the season with him on Rangers TV.

He had survived to see us play again in the top flight and it was the most special game to me.

A mundane game really, but has a poignant part of your family history. Football, gets a lot of bad press but that brought you close to your dad at his time of need - unfortunately for me I'll not get that with my old man ... he is a total fckn Jambo!!!

McEwan's Lager    822
3 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

A mundane game really, but has a poignant part of your family history. Football, gets a lot of bad press but that brought you close to your dad at his time of need - unfortunately for me I'll not get that with my old man ... he is a total fckn Jambo!!!

Wasn't my Dad mate, but yeah I get you.

If there was a game I could have been at in my entire lifetime it would be a 3-0 defeat by Hearts at Tynecastle in 85/86, a few years before I was born. Simply because it was the last time my father attended with his father.

Football is so important in our lives, even though in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. But at the end of the day Rangers is part of our culture, and who we are.

16 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Wasn't my Dad mate, but yeah I get you.

If there was a game I could have been at in my entire lifetime it would be a 3-0 defeat by Hearts at Tynecastle in 85/86, a few years before I was born. Simply because it was the last time my father attended with his father.

Football is so important in our lives, even though in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. But at the end of the day Rangers is part of our culture, and who we are.

Sorry pal, misread your original post - when I lived up north a few years back, during our D3 games. Many of our away matches were local to me at Arbroath, Peterhead, Elgin, Montrose etc. I used to make a real effort to attend - getting on buses that I had never bothered before, meeting new pals, and just enjoying the Football.

Many of my friends and colleagues, who are of the sheep variety used to wind me up and ask why I was piling up to Peterhead at 10am on a Sunday morning. Getting pished with Andy Goran in a social club in Mintlaw on jagerbombs at 11am!

I couldn't explain it myself but it was just what I wanted to do, and be amoungst people who knew what we were going through. In terms of fan solidarity, I'll never forget those little grounds getting packed out : and to be fair to those clubs in D3 and D2 most were very welcoming to our crowd.

cushynumber    12,905
2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Lost my mother in June.  4 weeks after diagnosis. She went to the doctors thinking she had a cold.

Sparkle    3,384
8 hours ago, cushynumber said:

Lost my mother in June.  4 weeks after diagnosis. She went to the doctors thinking she had a cold.

Really sorry Cushy, 4 weeks doesn't even give you time to realise what's happening. My brother fought the battle for 12 years, yet it was still a shock when it came

11 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're ok.

11 hours ago, tannerall said:

The bit about the medals impressed me, reminded me too of the Arsenal shares stolen from us and still not retrieved.......

Now getting them back is a worthy cause for the use of the RFFF cash. Not a stand at Auchenhowie.

A terrible disease that must now be the main killer of folks. Lost all the female members of my family to the disease, not easy for them and not easy to watch.

big blue Fin    649

Lost far too many relatives including my parents to cancer. 

Good luck to him and his family.

WeirFleckNRothen    1,741

I read that on BBC Sport the other day; very touching and sadly, a novelty in modern football. His passion, not the disease.

He mentions that he's living in pain and that caught my attention. I've lost family to cancer and while we're aware it's a killer, do we every really hear of the actual pain it inflicts? Those who suffer from it often act courageously and with bravery, never mentioning their discomfort.

No surrender, sir.

Malvern    2,567
14 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Condolences to you mate, at least your brother has no more pain now. Best wishes to the rest of his family too.

geneva_ger    2,066
On 14/09/2017 at 02:53, Rfc52 said:

"I am living on borrowed time. I live in pain, but living is better than the alternative".

Poor guy and only 66 years old. Condolences to you guys who have recently suffered too.