*** The Official Partick Thistle vs Rangers Match Thread ***

RFCRobertson

1 hour ago, whatnobeer said:

Fucking sick of the negativity in here. Ffs we weren't that bad. 

Our forwards are scoring,  a midfielder needing games got some time and scored, we missed a few sitters, Alnwick a great back up, mccrorie looks good. Oh and we won. 1-3.

7 hours ago, A.T.G said:

Gonnae shut up

"Shut up", AKA "stop being realistic".

7 hours ago, whatnobeer said:

Fucking sick of the negativity in here. Ffs we weren't that bad. 

You're sick of the negativity? Imagine how those who can actually judge a game of football without being restricted by blind optimism feel.

I'm well aware tonight's priority was to progress to the semi-final, but the reality is that, for the second time in four days, we were held to a draw in 90 minutes against a side who are relegation candidates and sit joint-bottom of the league table.

I gave Pedro the benefit of the doubt between March and May, when it was often argued that this was Warburton's side; judge him after the summer. I allowed the 5-1 humiliation against the tarriers at Ibrox slide, I didn't cast-up the no-show in the Scottish Cup semi-final which handed them a place in the final and although I was gutted, I didn't hold him entirely responsible for handing Aberdeen their first win at Ibrox in over 20 years.

No more, though. He's been given a decent war chest by Scottish football standards and let's not even acknowledge arguably the worst European result in British football history - Progrés - because we were beaten by Lennon's newly promoted Hibs in the first league game at Ibrox and we were held to goalless draw at home to Ian fucking Cathro's Hearts.

We have now been, as I said above, held by twice in-a-row by Partick fucking Thistle. Windass is missing from six yards, Alves is putting ten yard passes into the stands, Pena struggling to find a team-mate, Cardoso being sent for a sausage supper by Connor fucking Sammon, the team having zero shape, showing nothing in the final third, struggling to cope with Partick's world class forward line; it's utter shite. Candeias & Tavernier are fine going forward, but they are an absolute liability when we're not in possession.

We won last night because Partick tired. 210 minutes of professional football is a step too far for a squad who train at recreational sports centres.

Pedro is a dud. When we're tested and put under any pressure, we crumble.

19 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

You're sick of the negativity? Imagine how those who can actually judge a game of football without being restricted by blind optimism feel.

I'm well aware tonight's priority was to progress to the semi-final, but the reality is that, for the second time in four days, we were held to a draw in 90 minutes against a side who are relegation candidates and sit joint-bottom of the league table.

I gave Pedro the benefit of the doubt between March and May, when it was often argued that this was Warburton's side; judge him after the summer. I allowed the 5-1 humiliation against the tarriers at Ibrox slide, I didn't cast-up the no-show in the Scottish Cup semi-final which handed them a place in the final and although I was gutted, I didn't hold him entirely responsible for handing Aberdeen their first win at Ibrox in over 20 years.

No more, though. He's been given a decent war chest by Scottish football standards and let's not even acknowledge arguably the worst European result in British football history - Progrés - because we were beaten by Lennon's newly promoted Hibs in the first league game at Ibrox and we were held to goalless draw at home to Ian fucking Cathro's Hearts.

We have now been, as I said above, held by twice in-a-row by Partick fucking Thistle. Windass is missing from six yards, Alves is putting ten yard passes into the stands, Pena struggling to find a team-mate, Cardoso being sent for a sausage supper by Connor fucking Sammon, the team having zero shape, showing nothing in the final third, struggling to cope with Partick's world class forward line; it's utter shite. Candeias & Tavernier are fine going forward, but they are an absolute liability when we're not in possession.

We won last night because Partick tired. 210 minutes of professional football is a step too far for a squad who train at recreational sports centres.

Jon Daly's Hearts mate, have a bit of respect.

Loads of positives last night for me. Pena is exactly what I have been wanting to see, not giving the opposition a moment on the ball. Declan really looks very very comfortable when running at pace with the ball. Morelos has an amazing ability to hold up the ball. Candeias, despite the miss, has loads of ability and put plenty good balls into the box. Tav just keeps getting better, and yes I know he was out jumped for the goal. We have a good second keeper.  Don't understand all the negativity to be honest.  As for the negatives, then it's sitting back once we take the lead, this is totally unacceptable and blame lies with Pedro for that, but if Mourinho is his mate then we shouldn't be surprised. One other negative is that we don't get into the box fast enough, I mean how many low crosses were put across the penalty area with no one there; even Herreras goal should have been put in as windass put a perfect ball in and we were a yard behind it. I am not too happy with the central defence yet, but will see how they cope against the taigs.

47 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

Aye. And I'm working the day so I didn't want someone last night repeatedly telling me I'm working 

18 minutes ago, Chineseboy said:

Loads of positives last night for me. Pena is exactly what I have been wanting to see, not giving the opposition a moment on the ball. Declan really looks very very comfortable when running at pace with the ball. Morelos has an amazing ability to hold up the ball. Candeias, despite the miss, has loads of ability and put plenty good balls into the box. Tav just keeps getting better, and yes I know he was out jumped for the goal. We have a good second keeper.  Don't understand all the negativity to be honest.  As for the negatives, then it's sitting back once we take the lead, this is totally unacceptable and blame lies with Pedro for that, but if Mourinho is his mate then we shouldn't be surprised. One other negative is that we don't get into the box fast enough, I mean how many low crosses were put across the penalty area with no one there; even Herreras goal should have been put in as windass put a perfect ball in and we were a yard behind it. I am not too happy with the central defence yet, but will see how they cope against the taigs.

Don't know about loads of positives for me, but there were some.  I thought John looked good/comfortable and wanted to get forward quickly which was good to see.  I thought Mccrorie looked comfortable too when he came on, would be good to see him against a better team possibly in the not too distant future.  Alnwick obviously a good shot stopper, with some great saves, but a bit like Wes in the past, his distribution was generally too slow for me.  There were a couple of times we could have broke quickly from the keeper but he slowed it down.  I also thought we looked knackered towards the end of the 90, Morelos looked done in, but was kept on.  

We are dominating games possession wise but goals are not coming.  The chances we had and missed was unacceptable in my opinion.  We should have been at least 3-1 up by the end of the 90.

We need to tighten up and break quicker on Saturday.  The performance as a whole needs to be stepped up a notch.  I thought Thistle were shite last night overall, but we weren't that much better.  We will get chances, and need to take them, because they will get chances too and they will take them.

3 minutes ago, VladimirWeiss said:

Don't know about loads of positives for me, but there were some.  I thought John looked good/comfortable and wanted to get forward quickly which was good to see.  I thought Mccrorie looked comfortable too when he came on, would be good to see him against a better team possibly in the not too distant future.  Alnwick obviously a good shot stopper, with some great saves, but a bit like Wes in the past, his distribution was generally too slow for me.  There were a couple of times we could have broke quickly from the keeper but he slowed it down.  I also thought we looked knackered towards the end of the 90, Morelos looked done in, but was kept on.  

We are dominating games possession wise but goals are not coming.  The chances we had and missed was unacceptable in my opinion.  We should have been at least 3-1 up by the end of the 90.

We need to tighten up and break quicker on Saturday.  The performance as a whole needs to be stepped up a notch.  I thought Thistle were shite last night overall, but we weren't that much better.  We will get chances, and need to take them, because they will get chances too and they will take them.

Agree about the missed chances, and this happens so often. Most games we dominate possession but because opposition teams tend to park the bus,then we have to be more clinical when they come, and last night we had so many chances, excellent chances to win the match comfortably. But, the good thing is, we are creating the chances through some really good passing moves, but we absolutely must put them away. We are getting there though, of that I am certain.

Just now, Chineseboy said:

Agree about the missed chances, and this happens so often. Most games we dominate possession but because opposition teams tend to park the bus,then we have to be more clinical when they come, and last night we had so many chances, excellent chances to win the match comfortably. But, the good thing is, we are creating the chances through some really good passing moves, but we absolutely must put them away. We are getting there though, of that I am certain.

The chances are coming and we seem to be getting more as you say, but when I start to feel we are moving forward, we seem to then go back to dire.  We need consistency, and I don't see it at the moment.  Huge peaks 'n' troughs in performances.

5 minutes ago, VladimirWeiss said:

The chances are coming and we seem to be getting more as you say, but when I start to feel we are moving forward, we seem to then go back to dire.  We need consistency, and I don't see it at the moment.  Huge peaks 'n' troughs in performances.

The peaks are increasing though

My biggest take from the game last night is we need to gamble more in terms of runners into the box. We produce a lot of decent deliveries yet nobody gets on the end of them. I have liked Candeias so far (sitters aside) but he needs to get his arse in the box when the ball is crossed from the other flank. No use staying wide in that scenario, if the ball is over the other side and deep in the final third, he should forget providing width and make diagonal runs inside to provide an extra attacker in the box.

I don't think that we are that far away from being a very good team. For long stretches of games we are in total control and playing good stuff. Playing like that for 90 minutes is not happening and thats what needs to be fixed.

If I knew the answer to that I would be in Pedros job.