Saturday, the manager and the season ahead

RFC55

Just now, graeme_4 said:

I don't see what basis you can possibly have for that kind of expectation. 

They're a more established team, undeafted in 60 odd domestic games, a team full of internationals, more season books, higher wage bill, bigger transfer budget. 

I don't think Pedro has done a great job, but with any manager from McInnes to Mourinho - we can't win this league without significant investment. 

Hope is fine, but to expect to beat them is mental. 

You've majorly misunderstood what I meant with the bit in bold.

I'm saying that Pedro's at the point now where he needs a win to get the faith and support back IMO. 

A draw won't do that - or shouldn't do that. 

I wouldn't celebrate a draw at Ibrox against them. 

At the risk of sounding slightly contradictory, I'd perhaps take a draw right now if you offered me it but I wouldn't see it as progress, a massive result or worth celebrating.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, K.A.I said:

I'm saying that Pedro's at the point now where he needs a win to get the faith and support back IMO. 

At the risk of sounding slightly contradictory, I'd perhaps take a draw right now if you offered me it but I wouldn't see it as progress, a massive result or worth celebrating.

Fair dos. 

Pedro needs something from it certainly. I think a draw isn't a bad result, given where we are. 

We lost 5-1 home and away last year, as we'll as 2-1 in the league and can't even remember the cups scores the games were that bad. The only glimmer of hope was the Murty result, and even then it was a late goal and they were denied an absolute stonewall penalty - a draw represents progress for me. 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

Fair dos. 

Pedro needs something from it certainly. I think a draw isn't a bad result, given where we are. 

We lost 5-1 home and away last year, as we'll as 2-1 in the league and can't even remember the cups scores the games were that bad. The only glimmer of hope was the Murty result, and even then it was a late goal and they were denied an absolute stonewall penalty - a draw represents progress for me. 

A draw at Parkhead is different for me. I think that's a good result at any time nevermind where we are at just now.

Ross County, St Johnstone etc can get draws against them at home - that's a good result for them, not us IMO. At Ibrox we need to be winning. 

20 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I do agree with your overall outlook. It hasnt been good enough on the park at Rangers since the semi-final win in 2016 and needs to be much, much better. 

This is why i dont understand why so many tout McInnes as a succesor to PC. I wouldnt totally object of course but to me he is a lazy appointment. I think he would deliver second place but i dont think he would ever deliver the title. In my opinion if we went with mcinnes we would need yet another manager to stop they cunts getting 10. 

Just now, Brown Brogues said:

I do agree with your overall outlook. It hasnt been good enough on the park at Rangers since the semi-final win in 2016 and needs to be much, much better. 

This is why i dont understand why so many tout McInnes as a succesor to PC. I wouldnt totally object of course but to me he is a lazy appointment. I think he would deliver second place but i dont think he would ever deliver the title. In my opinion if we went with mcinnes we would need yet another manager to stop they cunts getting 10. 

McInnes is at least proven at the top flight level in Scotland. That's an instant improvement on Pedro.

Ideally I'd like so much better than him, but he's decent for what we need right now to get back on track IMO.

Just now, K.A.I said:

McInnes is at least proven at the top flight level in Scotland. That's an instant improvement on Pedro.

Ideally I'd like so much better than him, but he's decent for what we need right now to get back on track IMO.

Probably agree with all of that. Most half decent managers are probably out with our pay structure. We can probably only get a Mcinnes type or some bigger name with a bit of baggage. Its pish.

1 hour ago, John Eric Bartholomew said:

The points difference is key, as Rfc52 says. I would estimate that we will only have 40 points come the new year game. After that game, we will still have 40 points and be in 3rd place, whereas the league leaders will have 60 (or more). 

I base my 40 point estimation on the following:

celtic H Lose

Accies A Win

St. J A Draw

Sheep H Lose

Killie H Win

Hearts A Draw

Partick H Win

Accies H Win

Dundee A Win

Sheep A Lose

Ross C. H Win

Hibs A Lose

St. J H Win

Killie A Win

M'well H Win

celtic A Lose

With a points difference of 20-25 points with 15 games left, I will support the decision to sack Pedro Caixinha and install Graeme Murty, who will guide us to 2nd place by the end of the season. 

You put Football Manager on vacation mode when attending school. 

The only solace if we were to lose and Pedro was to be sacked, I don't think the rebuild job is anywhere near to the level Caixinha had when Warburton was sacked. 

Basis of a decent squad to build on, more about coaching and setting up that said than having a major overhaul of personnel. 

1 minute ago, Gaffbear said:

I'm never one to fly the white flag and it's twists my gut to imagine what might happen on Saturday but on the other hand should we trounce thistle tomorrow and pull out a victory on Saturday then Pedro should be given a big sorry off a lot of bears 

Why? it doesn't make the criticisms thus far less invalid. 

It will shut some folk up (myself included) as there's then some evidence there that we could possibly be turning the corner. 

11 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I think its McInnes for me now if I'm.honest

The problem Pedro has is given how its went so far the vast majority of fans have already made their mind up about him. That means its basically a when not if he's sacked.  

I honestly can't decide where I stand on it, he has built the basis of a good squad that are clearly an upgrade on last year.

You can't legislate for a centre half (who in my view has played pretty well so far this season) letting the ball bounce on the edge of his own box and giving away a ridiculous foul. I also don't think you can blame Pedro if your main centre back steps to the side to create a big hole in the middle of a wall. The Hibs game was also complete write off in my view given how the game went. 

Flip side he's overseen some of the worst results in our history and that doesn't look like changing. This week feels a bit like make or break. The problem I see is there's no outstanding obvious candidate for the job. There's positives and negatives for all the usual names being floated about. If it was me I'd be going for Pardew or McInnes. 

The appointment was quite baffling to say the least, so if we lose Tuesday and Saturday I'll always blame the board rather than Pedro. 

What vet he said in the interview process should not guarantee he would do a good job- all they have to do is remember warburtons sound bites.  Let's face it Pedro should never have been appointed but in any case I highly doubt we would get a manager to turn mediocre players into unbeatable players the way Brendan Rodgers has.

pedro may have been backed but it doesn't mean he's the manager Rangers need- ok we have brought in one or 2 decent players but I think he's quite erratic and it mirrors on the field.  I don't think I've ever seen a panic substitution straight after conceding by any manager in football like the Herrera sub.

this board have deflected the heat away by appointing an unknown manager cos they know fine well they couldn't back a manager with the funds needed to topple celtic. I wouldn't be surprised if we won Saturday and lost the following game 

32 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

The problem Pedro has is given how its went so far the vast majority of fans have already made their mind up about him. That means its basically a when not if he's sacked.  

I honestly can't decide where I stand on it, he has built the basis of a good squad that are clearly an upgrade on last year.

You can't legislate for a centre half (who in my view has played pretty well so far this season) letting the ball bounce on the edge of his own box and giving away a ridiculous foul. I also don't think you can blame Pedro if your main centre back steps to the side to create a big hole in the middle of a wall. The Hibs game was also complete write off in my view given how the game went. 

Flip side he's overseen some of the worst results in our history and that doesn't look like changing. This week feels a bit like make or break. The problem I see is there's no outstanding obvious candidate for the job. There's positives and negatives for all the usual names being floated about. If it was me I'd be going for Pardew or McInnes. 

A lot of the time you can defend most failing managers using the players mistakes as reasons why we didn't win.

I don't want to sound like the bread man, but these are all variables that happen in football, mistakes happen all the time. But it's accepting this will happen, and ensuring you are at a level above that so you win anyway.

That's why it's a bit pathetic blaming the ref, refs are biased and make mistakes yes, but it comes down to knowing this and making sure you are as good as to not make these mistakes or these decisions count.

We have not been at this level and some try to scramble for something to blame this and that on, but what it simply comes down to is - we are not good enough.

I like pedro a lot and hope to fuck he proves me wrong and is a success, but I don't see it happening.

But like I said before, the board will not replace him, so we have to support him otherwise we're just adding to the problem and making things worse for ourselves.

Just now, Jack The Flipper said:

A lot of the time you can defend most failing managers using the players mistakes as reasons why we didn't win.

I don't want to sound like the bread man, but these are all variables that happen in football, mistakes happen all the time. But it's accepting this will happen, and ensuring you are at a level above that so you win anyway.

That's why it's a bit pathetic blaming the ref, refs are biased and make mistakes yes, but it comes down to knowing this and making sure you are as good as to not make these mistakes or these decisions count.

We have not been at this level and some try to scramble for something to blame this and that on, but what it simply comes down to is - we are not good enough.

I like pedro a lot and hope to fuck he proves me wrong and is a success, but I don't see it happening.

But like I said before, the board will not replace him, so we have to support him otherwise we're just adding to the problem and making things worse for ourselves.

The like is for everything in that apart from the last bit. Not that I'm saying don't support him, that's admirable anyone who does I just don't agree it adds to the problem or makes things worse - in fact, the opposite, pressure could bring about change. Maybe.

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

The like is for everything in that apart from the last bit. Not that I'm saying don't support him, that's admirable anyone who does I just don't agree it adds to the problem or makes things worse - in fact, the opposite, pressure could bring about change. Maybe.

I know what you're saying KAI, but the way I see it is they will not replace him because it will prove they have made a huge mistake appointing Pedro in a critical phase of our recovery and they know all these mistakes are mounting up. If pedro fails, or if they admit to their appointment being wrong - their head is on the chopping block.

Just now, Jack The Flipper said:

I know what you're saying KAI, but the way I see it is they will not replace him because it will prove they have made a huge mistake appointing Pedro in a critical phase of our recovery and they know all these mistakes are mounting up. If pedro fails, or if they admit to their appointment being wrong - their head is on the chopping block.

I agree with that, but I just can't bring myself to support and get behind/respect someone who's hopeless, no good and shouldn't be here - even though I know what you are saying is 110% correct regarding the board who won't act.

It's a shite, fucked up position to be in. No good.

It's funny how this week could be the end for Pedro but also on the other hand it very well could be the making of him. 

A good cup win and if we could be the first side to beat celtic domestically in what 40+ games it could be a catalyst to greater things. 

I absolutely realise a club like ours should never accept 2nd place, always should be aiming to win every game and every title. However a good season for us is closing the gap, planting seeds of doubt in that celtic side going forward and installing a fear factor back into ourselves and a self belief. 

We get that, then we can mount a serious, serious challenge next year. For me that's the minimum we should see from Pedro and if we don't get a positive result Saturday it's just more of the same. 

1 hour ago, Sket said:

Shouldn't even be in charge for Saturday he should have been sacked long before now. The longer he stays the worse the season will get. Board have fucked it again.

And that's the bottom line. The board have a lot to answer but no one is interested in questioning them. Their decision making has been atrocious since taking over.