*** The Official Old Firm Match Thread ***

RFCRobertson

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

Immediately signed two experienced centre halves who knew how to play in British football and do the basics so we didn't have to suffer the Hemdani Svensson pairing any longer.

Finnily enough that's what we have needed our manager(s) to do since Summer 2015 and they still haven't done it.

aye walter signed the two centre halves, he didnt really need to do much else given the tools he was left with by PLG, pedro was left with a shite defence, abysmal midfield and non existent strikeforce, try fixing that with 8million quid against a tarrier team thats costing 36million a year in wages alone

2 minutes ago, saltire266 said:

Then we will continue to be second best.Football at our level needs a decent investment in a squad. I keep saying we need a good few 2 million pound players and then a few million pound player from the bench. Should have spent 2 million on Weiss in the summer ,the cheapest bit or real proven quality available currently.

Mate, we're not second best and for the money we've spent, THAT is what is unacceptable. 

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

for kevin thomson i see you ryan jack, remember when smith came back he had a squad containing the likes of hemdani, ferguson, hutton, papac, prso, novo, boyd amongst others, the basis was there for smith to build on

pedro arrived and had waghorn, halliday, kiernan, garner amongst other scottish championship level shite

not even walter could fix what pedro arrived into with what he's been given, the tarriers simply spend too much

Ryan Jack is not a patch on Kevin Thomson. He couldn't tie his laces.

Hemdani and Papac I never rated.
Prso barely played under Smith.
Morelos could be our Boyd.
Hutton never knuckled down and started playing to a remote standard until the next full season.
Novo fair enough but Herrera is a decent striker.

1 minute ago, Moody Blue said:

I'm no board fan boy but looking at who he's brought in, Id say they've provided backing to their man. He was a hugely surprising appointment and they've been proved wrong for that decision but they've still given him plenty money to change the squad to his players. 

PC's tactics, decision making, purchases, etc. have us 8pts behind them already. We can bemoan the lack of funds, or ref decisions, or unlucky injuries, etc. all we want. The buck stops with the manager and unless they grow a pair and punt him, this season will have another cavernous gap, including behind the sheep. 

backed their man? the tarriers spend well over 10mill a year in wages more than we do, look at the summer dealings, they asked aberdeen about hayes, got quoted a price, paid it and thats that, we need a left winger, asked about walker, pissed about for months, didnt get him, and now our left hand side is a nightmare

our second choice left back isnt even second choice at cardiff fucking city, we dont even have a second choice right back,

Gutted.

But I'm not going to slag the team or Caixhina. It's one thing to say he spent 9million this summer (though that's a spurious figure) it's quite another to make those players gel the way they do over a number of years. I think we let ourselves down in a few areas. Left side defending is woeful. too may times the midfielder held the ball up when there was a good forward pass to make and some of the clearances were straight from the circus. We definitely need to strengthen, but I expect to lose this one, draw the next two and win the final one. I also expect to win the cup game should we get that far. In other words, I'm judging Caixhina and his team on how they finish the season (and where in the league), not on how they start it. We also need to learn how to play for a whole match. we have some real finds in Mcrorie and Morelos but we need a left back and a left sided attacker.

7 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

I'm no board fan boy but looking at who he's brought in, Id say they've provided backing to their man. He was a hugely surprising appointment and they've been proved wrong for that decision but they've still given him plenty money to change the squad to his players. 

PC's tactics, decision making, purchases, etc. have us 8pts behind them already. We can bemoan the lack of funds, or ref decisions, or unlucky injuries, etc. all we want. The buck stops with the manager and unless they grow a pair and punt him, this season will have another cavernous gap, including behind the sheep. 

Then they can be responsible for appointing another unknown

2 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

Mate, we're not second best and for the money we've spent, THAT is what is unacceptable. 

Yip I agree with that as I have said he has no excuses not to be 2nd in the table close to the scum by Christmas. The squad we have should be enough to beat every other team in the table plus they will have played half a season together which is plenty to gel. A few injuries like now and we are fucked .Love to see this 8 million in the accounts but with all the players shifted and money juggled it looks like we have actually spent fuck all. Season ticket money and sponsors etc where has it all gone?

Half a dozen players in out squad are below not good enough for the league never mind the club!! Investment will achieve what we need it to at this minute.

Less than 10million to totally rebuild a team that wants to play with the teams in Europe and challenge a scum team that has quality. Not a chance of a hope

I actually thought taking Pena off was our undoing . We lost our drive after that and the midfield were simply over run. Maybe it was the obvious change to make taking him off, but perhaps putting Herrera on would have been wiser. 

Dunno, just sick. We matched them first half and clearly should have had a penalty. But that collapse after the goal was awful. 

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Ryan Jack is not a patch on Kevin Thomson. He couldn't tie his laces.

Hemdani and Papac I never rated.
Prso barely played under Smith.
Morelos could be our Boyd.
Hutton never knuckled down and started playing to a remote standard until the next full season.
Novo fair enough but Herrera is a decent striker.

ryan jack may well turn out to be an excellent midfielder, but again were talking a bosman signing compared to a 2million quid internationalist

hemdani and papac got us to a uefa final along with others that smith came back to
prso was still anything better than what pedro arrived to
morelos could, but he's a pedro signing, he didnt arrive to morelos being here
again hutton played 44 times that season smith came back, he was the starting right back
agree with hererra, but again thats a pedro signing

my point is that when smith came back he had to make sensible tweaks as you say, because he had so many other good options in other areas he could focus on the tweaks, he got weir and ehiogu and thomson because he already had the spine of a team there, smith spent 2million quid on a midfielder when he already had ferguson (scottish internationalist) and hemdani (former uefa cup winner with marseilles), pedro arrived to not one single part f the team that was good enough for challenging the tarriers, that cant be fixed with 8million quid and fuck all in wages

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

ryan jack may well turn out to be an excellent midfielder, but again were talking a bosman signing compared to a 2million quid internationalist

hemdani and papac got us to a uefa final along with others that smith came back to
prso was still anything better than what pedro arrived to
morelos could, but he's a pedro signing, he didnt arrive to morelos being here
again hutton played 44 times that season smith came back, he was the starting right back
agree with hererra, but again thats a pedro signing

my point is that when smith came back he had to make sensible tweaks as you say, because he had so many other good options in other areas he could focus on the tweaks, he got weir and ehiogu and thomson because he already had the spine of a team there, smith spent 2million quid on a midfielder when he already had ferguson (scottish internationalist) and hemdani (former uefa cup winner with marseilles), pedro arrived to not one single part f the team that was good enough for challenging the tarriers, that cant be fixed with 8million quid and fuck all in wages

So did Broadfoot and Daily get us to a UEFA Cup Final doesn't mean they were good players either - in a way you are making my point for me there it's about the manager.

Prso is better than anything we've got, but the point is he hardly played under Smith so you can't use someone who hardly played as an example in that sense. 

I'm sorry but my initial comment of one or two tweeks I still think is correct. Smith got money later on and build on it, but what do you think would happen if you gave Pedro say 20 million? and until today I used to defend Pedro on that front as I thought he'd bought wisely but he actually hasn't.

Dorrans, Jack, Candieas, Cardoso - rank rotten.

Morelos will be ruined unless he's played in a proper system with support - looking at playing Hererra upfront with him.

12 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

backed their man? the tarriers spend well over 10mill a year in wages more than we do, look at the summer dealings, they asked aberdeen about hayes, got quoted a price, paid it and thats that, we need a left winger, asked about walker, pissed about for months, didnt get him, and now our left hand side is a nightmare

our second choice left back isnt even second choice at cardiff fucking city, we dont even have a second choice right back,

maybe if he had not wasted money on the mexican/portugese shit he has bought we might have had more money  lets face it the manager is shit  more worrying for me is how much stronger and fitter they are than us                                      v

11 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

I agree with most of your post, and as I said in the post before I have great concerns about Pedro and we have to ask ourselves why he was appointed and I think he probably interviewed well, but what research did they do on him.

I think he was a cheap option with tales of how he knew great players that he could bring in for a lot less than in the UK market and that was seen by our board as an cheap fix, it must have seen as they had won the lottery.  

I do not expect Pedro to be sacked because as you say the manager takes the heat, my point probably not well made in my anger and disappointment is that it will only be when the fans realise that the board are the real problem here, they either have to change how they are running us or look for people who do have the money and desire to take us over.  

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

So did Broadfoot and Daily get us to a UEFA Cup Final doesn't mean they were good players either - in a way you are making my point for me there it's about the manager.

Prso is better than anything we've got, but the point is he hardly played under Smith so you can't use someone who hardly played as an example in that sense. 

I'm sorry but my initial comment of one or two tweeks I still think is correct. Smith got money later on and build on it, but what do you think would happen if you gave Pedro say 20 million? and until today I used to defend Pedro on that front as I thought he'd bought wisely but he actually hasn't.

Dorrans, Jack, Candieas, Cardoso - rank rotten.

Morelos will be ruined unless he's played in a proper system with support - looking at playing Hererra upfront with him.

you're missing my point mate, prso might not have played at all under smith, but he was here and part of the squad, smith arrived to boyd, novo and prso, he knew that until the summer at least he could rely on they strikers for 6 months, so he didnt need to tweak the strikeforce

imagine pedro simply made one or two tweaks to the squad he arrived with, we'd still be sitting here with halliday, mckay, waghorn etc, fuck that, we were clearly better today than the squad he arrived to