Our Historic Signing Policy

Essandoh

Sammy Roberts 1934 - 36 

Season 1934/35 was progressing nicely for Rangers when the Scottish Cup began in January. They were on course for another title - and hence another Double - and Jimmy Bowie had been appointed Chairman at the beginning of the year. Sadly, though, two days before the defence of the Cup got underway on 26th January 1935 two giants of Rangers' past in Jacky Robertson and Jock Drummond both passed away, severing a link Rangers of the 1930s had with the very early days. However, Rangers went on and welcomed Cowdenbeath to Ibrox for round one. Debutising for Rangers was a Welshman by the name of Sammy Roberts who had arrived at Ibrox via Newry Town, surely being unique in the respect that he was a non-native of Ulster or Ireland when he moved to Rangers.

Cowdenbeath, in front of 16,000 fans, gave Rangers several anxious moments in the first half until Torry Gillick, in the 27th minute, trapped a centre by the Welsh debutant and quickly shot home. One minute later Bobby Main half-volleyed another Roberts cross into the goal. The interval came and went with no further goals; then in the 72nd minute, the Fifers pulled one back. Sixty seconds, however, was all Rangers needed to restore their two-goal advantage as Gillick scored from yet another Roberts cross. The 3-1 lead was enough to see Rangers progress into round two.

19 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

He'd have been a legend.

As much as I can't stand the guy now , I agree with you . He would have suited our style perfectly . Was quite disappointed when he failed his medical - something i felt was dubious at the time . 

2 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

OP - just what has Welshmen got to do with Rangers and 'our historic signing policy'?

Took us over a hundred years before we allowed Welshmen to sign for Rangers . 

Surprised you hadn't read it in the papers all these years :lol: 

1 minute ago, gmcf said:

As much as I can't stand the guy now , I agree with you . He would have suited our style perfectly . Was quite disappointed when he failed his medical - something i felt was dubious at the time . 

Agreed, but there was no animosity in the whole issue, and think we tried twice to get him through. But, unfortunately he's now a Rangers hater.

4 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Agreed, but there was no animosity in the whole issue, and think we tried twice to get him through. But, unfortunately he's now a Rangers hater.

Yeah , he is . 

I just wonder how much of it was to do with the debt we were building up at the time as opposed to his medical . If iirc RdB signed round about the same time . 

3 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Yeah , he is . 

I just wonder how much of it was to do with the debt we were building up at the time as opposed to his medical . If iirc RdB signed round about the same time . 

Story I've heard from a couple of people through the years inc someone who was a Rangers doctor was that Advocaat went in for De Boer a few weeks earlier and De Boer knocked us back so we went for Hartson instead.

Hartson was on his way up when De Boer had a change of heart. David Murray told Advocaat he can have one or the other and he obviously picked De Boer then when Hartson got up we had to make our excuses. 

3 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Yeah , he is . 

You insinuate, sign a player & refuse him (wif a supposed knee injury) because of our debt.

Firstly, why go for him, (twice),

Secondly, you're a fenian cunt, and gogzy should ban now.

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Story I've heard from a couple of people through the years inc someone who was a Rangers doctor was that Advocaat went in for De Boer a few weeks earlier and De Boer knocked us back so we went for Hartson instead.

Hartson was on his way up when De Boer had a change of heart. David Murray told Advocaat he can have one or the other and he obviously picked De Boer then when Hartson got up we had to make our excuses. 

Certainly plausible . 

We had a bad record of passing costly players fit that soon broke down , so it may well be that we played too safe . But the RdB theory could well be true.