Are celtic really that good?

No, but are far superior in an attacking sense to us. They have goals all over the park and even on the bench - Dembele, McGregor. We are lucky if we have a few consistent scorers to rely on, Morelos, Dorrans, Miller? Even against the dish teams we struggle to put them away after going 1 up, we need a few more attacking threats over the park. Walker, Moult, Do we give o'halloran another go through the middle? (O'halloran unlikely after Pedros previous comments)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you look at yesterdays game they are a fair bit ahead of us - i also believe its a couple of players and attitude that makes the difference, i don't think they are that far ahead of us. A couple of real full backs and a hard centre mid we wouldn't be far off, given we had a makeshift defence and the penalty could have changed the way the game evolved, but then i am always the optimist.

8 minutes ago, Marky. said:

Depth, or just overall quality.

Sadly overall quality.  In the league so far they have 7 players that have scored 2 or more goals.  We have 2 players that have done that. That is how we struggle against the rest of the league sometimes. 

13 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Dont let that semi final fool you, between both our goals we didnt have a single shot on target, we might have had a lot of the ball but we done fuck all with it, the tarriers battered us that day as well, we just had lady luck on our side

Na mate your attempting to rewrite history. Even now I haven't seen a first half of a old firm game dominated like we did. They were lucky to get it to ET in the end

41 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Na mate your attempting to rewrite history. Even now I haven't seen a first half of a old firm game dominated like we did. They were lucky to get it to ET in the end

They had 33 shots on goal to our 9 including roberts missing an open goal in that first half we supposedly dominated 

I actually don't think there is much of a gulf in terms of pure ability, I just think all of their players are playing at the very top of their game due to confidence and their manager. The majority of our players have the ability to  be performing at a much higher level than they are imo.

I was really surprised with our first half performance. We played a very disciplined game after the first 10 minutes when we were a bit shaky but showed that with some composure and good counter attacks they are very beatable.

That second half performance was terrible though. We looked scared. I'm really sick of seeing weak as piss performances against them. Second half was up there with the Semi Final performance last season. Its not good enough.

2 minutes ago, Junior Soprano said:

Every cunts scared to lay a glove on them. Including us. 

Time to do what smith would do, we can't beat them wie skill so we bully the fuck out them. Why the manager never seen this last season before he signed the pish he signed fucking amazes me.

He promised us we were getting fighters too.

20 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

You cannot deny their record. They are arguably the best side since advocaats. Why hide from It? That the challenge we must win our games and see where we are at xmas

The longer we deny it out of spite, the longer we accept and encourage mediocracy in our own squad. 

They are miles ahead of us. If we'd accepted that a few years ago we might be closer to catching them.

9 minutes ago, EatDolphins said:

The longer we deny it out of spite, the longer we accept and encourage mediocracy in our own squad. 

They are miles ahead of us. If we'd accepted that a few years ago we might be closer to catching them.

They are a good bit ahead of us but that says more about how poor we are rather than how good they may be.

4 minutes ago, dougie76 said:

They are a good bit ahead of us but that says more about how poor we are rather than how good they may be.

How poor we are is direclty related to how we rate them is the point im making. If we underestimate them we'll underestimate what we require to match or better them. 

Imo the board were well aware we would fall well short with the money they could make available but beat the battle drums anyway.

They have a strong squad, with 4-5 players in that squad who are head and shoulders better than anything else in scotland. And they really play to their strengths, in order to minimise the weaknesses. When we have Alves Wallace and John out we were down to replacing them with a 19-year-old starting his first game and Hodson, who is the back ups back up.

They are a fair bit better than us and everyone else but you have to take into account how poor the rest of us really are. It wouldn't take a team of world beaters to dominate this league, the league is without doubt the lowest standard it has ever been. By a mile. Anyone arguing with that would just need to be reminded of the fact that no Scottish team outside celtic has survived in Europe past august in god knows how long. Our teams lose to teams from Luxembourg, Cyprus, Lithuania and all sorts. In short we are all pish. They do play some good football but there is no way they could play this style against half way decent opposition. Both the Rangers and celtic teams of 10 years ago would've seen them off fairy easily in my opinion. It doesn't alter the fact though that the are miles better than us, which of course is what we need to worry about. Much as I hate to admit they do have a good manager who gets the best out what hes got and that's where they have an advantage over us. 

23 hours ago, plumbGER said:

What rapey post that is, comparing football qualities with adolescent maturity.

Beasty bastard.

The point I'm trying to make numbnuts is that they are unfortunately bigger, better and stronger than the rest of the SPL and completely out if their depth in Europe when they come up against bigger , better and stronger players than they are - ie they look good playing small teams but they look don't look too clever playing the big boys.

People can try to comfort themselves by saying the taigs are pish but they're a shit ton better than us

This attitude of "they're pish and things will just magically work out" will get us nowhere

They're not world beaters and will get embarrassed in Europe but so would we, at least they get there and get their cash which is all that matters, id take getting humped in the CL group stages with its millions than getting knocked out like we did any day of the week.

They are by far the best team in Scotland and I'm not even sure of we're the second best

Saying they are pish doesn't give me any comfort

10 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

People can try to comfort themselves by saying the taigs are pish but they're a shit ton better than us

This attitude of "they're pish and things will just magically work out" will get us nowhere

They're not world beaters and will get embarrassed in Europe but so would we, at least they get there and get their cash which is all that matters, id take getting humped in the CL group stages with its millions than getting knocked out like we did any day of the week.

They are by far the best team in Scotland and I'm not even sure of we're the second best

Saying they are pish doesn't give me any comfort

Spot on.