Rangers to play in Florida Cup January 2018

eskbankloyal

Waste of time, makes a mockery of the winter break really. When it was first proposed, managers from the SPL were all saying that it will give the teams a chance to rest. So now we are off to play 3 meaningless games across the Atlantic. The break originally got pulled for this very reason, the OF clubs using as it a cash revenue exercise. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Waste of time, makes a mockery of the winter break really. When it was first proposed, managers from the SPL were all saying that it will give the teams a chance to rest. So now we are off to play 3 meaningless games across the Atlantic. The break originally got pulled for this very reason, the OF clubs using as it a cash revenue exercise. 

And quite right to do so

2 hours ago, Gustav said:

And quite right to do so

It's all fun and games until we get a serious injury playing friendlies in such a short timespan, or the squad come back into the SPFL games jaded. I'm not against the money generated, however is it really worth the risk?? I think it is good for the profile of the club btw, however as I said the reason the break was pulled was mainly due to smaller clubs complaining about the OF using it as a revenue stream - which they obviously will not have an opportunity to take up themselves.

1 minute ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

It's all fun and games until we get a serious injury playing friendlies in such a short timeshare, or the squad come back into the SPFL games jaded. I'm not against the money generated, however is it really worth the risk?? I think it is good for the profile of the club btw, however as I said the reason the break was pulled was mainly due to smaller clubs complaining about the OF using it as a revenue stream - which they obviously will not have an opportunity to take up themselves.

Couldn't give a monkeys about any of the smaller clubs, not our problem nobody cares about them enough to invite them to something like this.

Don't buy into the injury thing either, you could get a season ending injury in pre season or training.

1 hour ago, bluedylan said:

Get to fuck with that shit.The team might  not be the greatest at the moment ,the club will never be an embarrassment you wanksock

1 hour ago, denya said:

A team that win 54 league championships and many many different trophies and with much history and support can never be a embarrassment. 

The club will never be an embarrassment. The team is at the moment though.

15 hours ago, denya said:

Yes it is I have been to Nacional of Uruguay and Penarol are historic team too. Colo Colo vs Universidad de Chile in Santiago and for here is biggest Millos vs Nacional. 

Was at Colo Colo v Audex Italiano was mental and that's not even a derby I don't think.

Can't say that I'm all that impressed with this whole trip tbh.

Its almost like rewarding players for being pish.

I'd get them back to absolute basics. Some cold windy beach somewhere in Scotland.

If you play like the fifth best team in Scotland, be prepared to be treated like the fifth best team In Scotland.

Get us to the top of the league and I'll take you to Florida next year boys..

2 minutes ago, insider said:

Can't say that I'm all that impressed with this whole trip tbh.

Its almost like rewarding players for being pish.

I'd get them back to absolute basics. Some cold windy beach somewhere in Scotland.

If you play like the fifth best team in Scotland, be prepared to be treated like the fifth best team In Scotland.

Get us to the top of the league and I'll take you to Florida next year boys..

That's up to the coaching staff in terms of how they get them to train, only difference is the weather

1 minute ago, simplythebest said:

That's up to the coaching staff in terms of how they get them to train, only difference is the weather

Yep.

We play in Scotland in winter so let's train here.

I know it's old skool. But they need to effing man up..

Will the announcement on Monday 9th give the venue where we will play? Despite some of the comments on this thread what's not to like about a trip to sunnier climes in January and see Rangers too? Really fancy going.

32 minutes ago, bob1873 said:

Will the announcement on Monday 9th give the venue where we will play? Despite some of the comments on this thread what's not to like about a trip to sunnier climes in January and see Rangers too? Really fancy going.

I looked it up last week. Flights are cheap as chips but hotels seem to be extortionate unless you want to stay at one of those motels from American movies where every one gets murdered.

9 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I looked it up last week. Flights are cheap as chips but hotels seem to be extortionate unless you want to stay at one of those motels from American movies where every one gets murdered.

If there's a few of you's you should hire a villa or something - that's what I'll be suggesting to my group - pool etc.

1 minute ago, bluedylan said:

Good shout can work out about 150 a head if their are 6 or so of you travelling

Exactly .. £150 each, that would only get you 2 nights (£75 each a night) in a twin room at a 3-star run of the mill hotel or something so it's a no brainer if you've got the numbers

Just now, K.A.I said:

Exactly .. £150 each, that would only get you 2 nights in a twin room at a 3-star run of the mill hotel or something so it's a no brainer if you've got the numbers

Yeah and there are 1000s of lets in Florida..it never really recovered from the property crash so you can get really great deals

41 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

Yeah and there are 1000s of lets in Florida..it never really recovered from the property crash so you can get really great deals

used to be a wee guy, Maclaren, who did lets of villas around the Miami/Lauderdale area not sure he's still around or not, perhaps some of the FLA bears know his details.

I might be being a bit daft here but how exactly does it raise our profile or earn us money ??

Do the hosts pay all our expenses and all the other teams expenses and then rely on ticket sales to earn themseves some cash or does that get divvied out with the other teams as well and the hosts incur a huge loss ...just asking 

1 hour ago, weehank said:

I might be being a bit daft here but how exactly does it raise our profile or earn us money ??

Do the hosts pay all our expenses and all the other teams expenses and then rely on ticket sales to earn themseves some cash or does that get divvied out with the other teams as well and the hosts incur a huge loss ...just asking 

If is raise money from ticket sales then clubs won't get much money from this tournament. I have watched last 2 Florida Cups because my team here have play in it in 2016 and our biggest rival play in it this year and the crowds are not very big, not as big as you expect.