Bruno training with Portugal.

backup

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, OhW said:

I wish people would stop overselling the Euros thing. Yes, it's not to be scoffed at that he is still being picked for the squad at 35, but I judge him on how he plays for us. 

"you don't get 80 odd caps for Croatia if you're not at the level that Niko is."

"Senderos has an impressive CV"

Meaningless.

To be fair, Alves is still being capped by Portugal. We signed Kranjcar long after his international career was over.

Senderos doesn't count. He just has a cracking agent.

29 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

He was almost fit Hamilton but not risked on the plastic pitch. We won and he is now fit so that seems like a good decision. The very fact Bruno Alves is approaching 100 caps and is still in squads at 35 speaks volumes for his professionalism. He has played in derbies in Turkey, Russia and Portugal and won a Euros.  Internet fannies thinking he shat it from any match is hilarious. 

I don't think he shat it in the sense that he was scared. Think he just decided that due to a minor injury he'd skip a game he knew he'd get criticised for.

He's not the "running through brick wall" type player we thought we were getting. If he had the steel we thought he had it might have run through the team and got the other players going. But if he's supposedly the tough guy in our team well it shows how limp we are. 

Clint Hill was far more resilient last season. 

4 minutes ago, Junior Soprano said:

Alves has been pish, no cunt can deny it

I deny it.

He's not been great nor as imposing as I'd hoped. But I wouldn't say he's been pish either.

I'd play him before Cardoso. And as much as young mccrorie deserves plaudits he's probably been at fault for goals/pens as much as Alves yet has only played a few games.

Definitely room for him to step up and dominate. But "pish"- nah.

3 minutes ago, saltire266 said:

To be fair Clint hill showed more desire and got stuck in,scored a few goals too. Bruno hasn't achieved the first two yet and it's disappointing .

That was Clint last season.  Any comparison with the Miller situation? 

Carlisle is probable his level now never mind in the spring when he'll be 39.

I'll accept Bruno hasn't hit the levels hoped for given my expectations. But not that he's been pish or Hill would have been a better option.

I think folk are regretting acting like he was some hero before he'd even kicked a ball for us 

the guys at the end of his career dunno why folk expected him to be a world beater

hopefully he comes good but if he barely plays for us this season I won't be surprised

10 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

That was Clint last season.  Any comparison with the Miller situation? 

Carlisle is probable his level now never mind in the spring when he'll be 39.

I'll accept Bruno hasn't hit the levels hoped for given my expectations. But not that he's been pish or Hill would have been a better option.

I don't think either are the answer .I think the board were keen to get him because they thought he would shift plenty strips. We should have a policy of not signing anybody over 32

Maybe the defence hasn't been too bad. I shudder at the thought of where we would be in the league this season or how many games would we have lost if we had Kiernan and Wilson at the back. Or even Hill.

I don't think we would have won at County or took any points at Thistle. Maybe they just aren't at our expected level but I don't think the defence has been as bad as previous season albeit not setting the game on fire either.

Time will tell on Alves and Cardoso but I have been more impressed with McCrorie who cost us fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

8 hours ago, Band of Brothers said:

Has he done anything that made you go fuck what a tackle or saved us from a goal there?

The ay he is in that photo sorry but he is at it!

At it? If that photo was from the day of the old firm game you'd maybe have a point, he went out to Madrid to get expert treatment in order to recover quickly, he's now recovered. It's honestly like some people have no concept of time. 

Have you seen anything in his long career playing in international finals, and other big derbies that suggests he's a shite bag who would duck out of a big match because he's scared. 

23 minutes ago, saltire266 said:

1.  I don't think either are the answer .

2 I think the board were keen to get him because they thought he would shift plenty strips.

3. We should have a policy of not signing anybody over 32

1. Agreed. Neither CH nor KM is the answer.

2. I think there's a few more issues relating to merchandise than Alves on the back ?

3. Davie Weir performances suggest otherwise. It's all about the individual and overall what they bring to the team. Age doesn't have to be a negative though certainly can be.