Messi might miss world cup

Apparently it looks like there is a real chance that Argentina might not qualify, I reckon the competition will be poorer without him but I cant say I'm that upset about it. To me he puts on this false humility whereas in reality he is every bit as big an egotistical prick as Ronaldo who at least doesn't try to hide the fact. All the talk of him being the best ever must surely stop if he doesn't make it, after all Maradonna won the fucking thing on his tod, and that's when defenders could kick lumps out you without getting booked. Maybe I'm just bitter after his anti football dig from a few years back but I honestly feel though hes one of the greats hes not in the all time top three.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

Apparently it looks like there is a real chance that Argentina might not qualify, I reckon the competition will be poorer without him but I cant say I'm that upset about it. To me he puts on this false humility whereas in reality he is every bit as big an egotistical prick as Ronaldo who at least doesn't try to hide the fact. All the talk of him being the best ever must surely stop if he doesn't make it, after all Maradonna won the fucking thing on his tod, and that's when defenders could kick lumps out you without getting booked. Maybe I'm just bitter after his anti football dig from a few years back but I honestly feel though hes one of the greats hes not in the all time top three.

Myth Maradonna won the world cup on his own they had Pumpido and Ruggeri who were then current South American champions with River plate in a great defence who only conceded 5 goals in the whole WC campaign. Add Valdano Burruchagga Orlticoechea(SP) and Brown all who had a great tournament.

They can still finish 3rd and qualify automatically but that would mean they have to beat Ecuador away, Brazil beats Chile, and Peru and Colombia draw.

If they draw then they can only go via play-offs - unless either Colombia or Peru pumps the other.

Ecuador away will be tough though. I'm hoping they get beat. Peru haven't qualified for a World Cup in years and deserve it more.

Ecuador is a tough place to go considering the climate and altitude so there are no guarentees. It would be a shame if Argentina as a whole didn't go! No doubt if they qualify they'd win the thing, football is weird like that sometimes.

40 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

I don't remember Maradona but I sincerely doubt either him or Pele were better than Messi.

Well I can remember Maradona and let me assure you he fuckin well was, and to my mind so was Johan cruyff, cant really say about pele cos he was before my time. But then all old cunts think the players of their youth were better than those of the present.

14 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

Well I can remember Maradona and let me assure you he fuckin well was, and to my mind so was Johan cruyff, cant really say about pele cos he was before my time. But then all old cunts think the players of their youth were better than those of the present.

I've seen the videos but I just think Messi is better.  

12 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

I've seen the videos but I just think Messi is better.  

From what I saw of him, Maradona wasn't better than Messi. #

Maradona had a panache, an aesthetic when he was in full flow thatMessi didn't have, but Messi has been brilliant more often.

6 hours ago, bluedylan said:

Myth Maradonna won the world cup on his own they had Pumpido and Ruggeri who were then current South American champions with River plate in a great defence who only conceded 5 goals in the whole WC campaign. Add Valdano Burruchagga Orlticoechea(SP) and Brown all who had a great tournament.

Honestly can't believe the amount of people who claim Argentina were a one man team...it amazes me....not to mention valdano, burrachaga and the lad brown that played at the back!!!

They weren't household names because we never got the same exposure in those days as what we get now?

2 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

It's gathered more pace over the last few years from those who constantly try to downplay Messi, mainly British fans who weren't even born during that world cup. Same people who have this myth there's only two good teams in La Liga, La Liga has no defenders, Barca and Real win 5-0 each week etc and that the EPL has 6 teams who can win the league each summer...

As for the final round of games and the table, it's crazy to think Argentina are sixth and Chile/Colombia are 3rd and 4th respectively but Argentina should have a higher % to qualify still. Chile have to play at Brazil and Colombia are away to Peru. Chile are in the weakest position, very likely going to need a point at Brazil to be safe and will do if Argentina and Paraguay win the final games.

That being said Ecuador is a hard place to go to and Argentina have failed to win there on their last four visits, losing twice.

Without doubt the hardest qualification process.

Well I was born then and though it is true to say that there was decent players in that team outwith Maradona there is no way on gods earth that they would have got anywhere near the final, let alone win it, without him. I believe that the Argentinal teams that Messi has played with have contained better players on the whole than the one Maradona  helped win the world cup. Maybe ive let my dislike of barcelona colour my opinion of Messi as a player, I don't think so though, ive admitted hes one of the greats. Just not as good as Maradona.

anybody who claims maradona isnt the best player ever is talking pish. Watch the 2nd goal against england and he's playing on a tattie field. The ball never runs without bouncing on the grass. Messi and ronaldo tbh are up there but maradona is a cut above. In 86 he pulled argentina out the shit vs england in the quarters (2 goals), belgium (2 goals) in the semis  and sets up the winner vs germany in the final. Add to this taking napoli to a scudetto and european trophy and then another world cup final in 90 and thats some C.V