Messi might miss world cup

13 hours ago, centenarystand said:

Messi pulls on the Argentina jersey and turns into Pena.

Absolute nonsense. 

There’s a clip floating about online of his performance against Peru and he is pretty much carrying Argentina. The rest of his teammates were dreadful and they really should have put about 5 past Peru. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, pcbear said:

oooft, that aint going to happen, what a fall from grace there.

Advocaat is taking a bit of a ribbing because in his press conference when asked if Sweden would hammer Lux he said “they aren’t going to win 8-0 don’t be ridiculous” or something along those lines :lol: 

8 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Advocaat is taking a bit of a ribbing because in his press conference when asked if Sweden would hammer Lux he said “they aren’t going to win 8-0 don’t be ridiculous” or something along those lines :lol: 

I wonder if he will keep his job. It would be harsh to get rid of him. Blind did the damage - but I wonder if they would be tempted to bring in van Gaal again.

In reality they have a poor squad at the moment but there are a lot of class players in the 18-23 bracket and if they kick on then the dutch may once again be a force at the next World Cup.

46 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Absolute nonsense. 

There’s a clip floating about online of his performance against Peru and he is pretty much carrying Argentina. The rest of his teammates were dreadful and they really should have put about 5 past Peru. 

He scored 4 goals in Brazil and created more chances than anybody else but aye he's pish for Argentina.

If Maradona's team-mates missed as many chances as Aguero and Higuain he wouldn't have won the World Cup either.

1 hour ago, psb07158 said:

Saw that clip ...It will haunt him forever

45 minutes ago, JamieD said:

He scored 4 goals in Brazil and created more chances than anybody else but aye he's pish for Argentina.

If Maradona's team-mates missed as many chances as Aguero and Higuain he wouldn't have won the World Cup either.

In the knock outs he was dreadful imo.

Mascherano was by far their best player that tournament. 

1 hour ago, JamieD said:

Aye, if Higuain wasn’t a big lard of shit Argentina would arguably have won the last World Cup and both Copa America’s. I know all incredible goalscorers miss sitters but Higuain just seems to pick the worst moment to miss them, it can’t be coincidence, which leads me to conclude he’s a big game shitebag. 

We should not be comparing players from the 80s to today’s players. 

The game has changed dramatically since then, sports science, physio and coaching techniques put today’s top players on a different level to the greats of the 50s-90s. 

Watch the YouTube videos of Pele, Puskas, Eusebio, Beckenbauer, Charlton, Baxter, Dalglish, Souness, Cryuff, van Basten, Gullit,  and any of the other magnificent players we older guys grew up watching. 

Appreciate what they were and when they were. We don’t need to know who is the best ever. The best now and the best then should be the discussion. 

16 hours ago, Gascoigne8 said:

anybody who claims maradona isnt the best player ever is talking pish. Watch the 2nd goal against england and he's playing on a tattie field. The ball never runs without bouncing on the grass. Messi and ronaldo tbh are up there but maradona is a cut above. In 86 he pulled argentina out the shit vs england in the quarters (2 goals), belgium (2 goals) in the semis  and sets up the winner vs germany in the final. Add to this taking napoli to a scudetto and european trophy and then another world cup final in 90 and thats some C.V 

He’s a fat smack heed that wears 2 watches and his dads suit

2 hours ago, roboscot said:

The game has changed dramatically since then, sports science, physio and coaching techniques put today’s top players on a different level to the greats of the 50s-90s. 

Watch the YouTube videos of Pele, Puskas, Eusebio, Beckenbauer, Charlton, Baxter, Dalglish, Souness, Cryuff, van Basten, Gullit,  and any of the other magnificent players we older guys grew up watching. 

Appreciate what they were and when they were. We don’t need to know who is the best ever. The best now and the best then should be the discussion. 

Well this is true, I remember my dad used to say that Baxter and Henderson were better than Gazza and Laudrup and I just wouldn't have it. What I would say is that the great players today have protection frmo the refs that players then never had. Would Messi have been able to play the way he does with him having to take the kickings those players did? 

24 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

Well this is true, I remember my dad used to say that Baxter and Henderson were better than Gazza and Laudrup and I just wouldn't have it. What I would say is that the great players today have protection frmo the refs that players then never had. Would Messi have been able to play the way he does with him having to take the kickings those players did? 

Dunno how anyone who has watched him could think he doesn't get kicked. The difference is players get booked for it more now, not that they don't commit the fouls. Would he have been able to play the way he does if he was kicked as much as Maradona? Probably, yeah. He responds pretty well to the kickings he does get. And if he had as much time and space on the ball as Maradona he would probably be better than he is now too. It's the lack of space that is usually responsible for Messi's quiet games, not the violence. He struggles far more with the former.

It's not really possible to compare the two eras as far as defending goes, anyway. Defenders are fitter, faster and press much more now. Last ditch hatchet man tackles are a relative rarity in the game now, although when they happen more often than not Messi is the target of them.

On 06/10/2017 at 22:58, MurrayWilson said:

Well I can remember Maradona and let me assure you he fuckin well was, and to my mind so was Johan cruyff, cant really say about pele cos he was before my time. But then all old cunts think the players of their youth were better than those of the present.

No he wasn't. Defenders in those days had pot bellies and turned like buses. 

Maradona had some memorable moments but messi is producing week after week after week against fit athletic opponents. 

On 10/7/2017 at 04:54, Rangers_no1 said:

As for the final round of games and the table, it's crazy to think Argentina are sixth and Chile/Colombia are 3rd and 4th respectively but Argentina should have a higher % to qualify still. Chile have to play at Brazil and Colombia are away to Peru. Chile are in the weakest position, very likely going to need a point at Brazil to be safe and will do if Argentina and Paraguay win the final games.

That being said Ecuador is a hard place to go to and Argentina have failed to win there on their last four visits, losing twice.

Without doubt the hardest qualification process.

Why is crazy to think Chile are 3rd and we are 4th? 

Quito is not very easy place to play because altitude but climate is not important because all the games will be play at 6:30pm. Argentina have not score 1 goal in lots of games now and Ecuador have not won a game in long time they had good start to qualifying winning their first 5 games and then been terrible since. The hardest game is our game against Peru in Lima. We had qualification and then decide to throw it away in last 3 minutes against Paraguay. I think Paraguay beat Venezuela in Asuncion and make to the top 5. I think Argentina will finally start to play good and beat Ecuador and be in top 5 too but our game is very difficult but a draw is enough for us to qualify I think and so I hope Brazil beat Chile and Chile not qualify I hope. 

18 hours ago, roboscot said:

The players you listed were great players, and I'm  sure if they had the benefit of sports science etc, they'd be even better. Talent is talent

23 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

I'll put your doubts to bed, both were better.

My m8 who is 67 always says pele was the greatest, I'm firmly in the Messi camp, I'm not sure it was peles choice never to come to Europe as I'm led to believe that the Brazilian government actually owned all his rights and that being the reason he stayed at Santos so long, by the time Messi retires his goal scoring record will be more spectacular than peles as almost half of peles goals were scored in friendlies, even my m8 is starting to sway towards Messi but I don't think he will ever come round to saying it??it is always a debate that will divide opinions?

12 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

My m8 who is 67 always says pele was the greatest, I'm firmly in the Messi camp, I'm not sure it was peles choice never to come to Europe as I'm led to believe that the Brazilian government actually owned all his rights and that being the reason he stayed at Santos so long, by the time Messi retires his goal scoring record will be more spectacular than peles as almost half of peles goals were scored in friendlies, even my m8 is starting to sway towards Messi but I don't think he will ever come round to saying it??it is always a debate that will divide opinions?

I have spent quite a bit of time in Brazil over the years on holidays if you ask Brazilians who was the greatest most would answer Garrincha It came as a suprise to me on first visiting how many I spoke to had little or no time for Pele.