Football is fucked

hammer93

Sitting in the pub the night I saw a sky program about Red star Belgrade, I recognised Darko Pancev straight away and instantly I thought about the time we played them when souness was the manager, for the older bears that remember we got fucked in Belgrade but drew 1-1 at Ibrox end route to exiting the European cup, I think it was the next season that Red star did win the European cup beating Marseille on penalties, Marseille would then go on to win the European cup a couple of years later albeit under a cloud, again we were competing with these teams with a realistic chance of progress

Nearly 30yrs on and the chances of Red Star competing in the champions league again are slim let alone win it, the days of walking along to Ibrox on a Wednesday night full of confidence for a European night are a distant memory as money has totally fucked the whole infrastructure of European football, watching that tonight was a stark reminder where football is fucked up nowawdays as great clubs from European football history very rarely get a knife and fork at the big table now.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The television payments - and the conglomerates behind them - have stolen the game from the fans who follow their team because they were brought up to follow. The big money goes to fewer and fewer who are followed by more and more who have less and less reason to do so. All we can do is pass on our love for our team to our kids and hope one day the conglomerates will choke on their own greed and football will belong to the people again.

Just now, Loyaleastend said:

England more so,  just a  business in boots.

EPL is booming, even moreso when facebook or amazon will buy their 3yr broadcasting rights for £20bn or so - and you'll regulalry see a Neymar like fee for average players soon.

Just now, WATP-FOREVER said:

EPL is booming, even moreso when facebook or amazon will buy their 3yr broadcasting rights for £20bn or so - and you'll regulalry see a Neymar like fee for average players soon.

Yes, it's a booming business, certainly not a game of the people for the working man anymore, the very soul of the game has been replaced by "punditry" and crap like that,  far too much money wasted on pundits ,  I don't know, just hard to put into words, like the OP said, the game has changed in essence, not to mention the ever encroaching political agenda that is crawling all over football in the  name of  "diversity".

Just now, Loyaleastend said:

Yes, it's a booming business, certainly not a game of the people for the working man anymore, the very soul of the game has been replaced by "punditry" and crap like that,  far too much money wasted on pundits ,  I don't know, just hard to put into words, like the OP said, the game has changed in essence, not to mention the ever encroaching political agenda that is crawling all over football in the  name of  "diversity".

Think integrity is the abused word mate and not diversity. 

3 hours ago, MelbourneBlue said:

The television payments - and the conglomerates behind them - have stolen the game from the fans who follow their team because they were brought up to follow. The big money goes to fewer and fewer who are followed by more and more who have less and less reason to do so. All we can do is pass on our love for our team to our kids and hope one day the conglomerates will choke on their own greed and football will belong to the people again.

I think another issue the TV 'boom' has caused is kids from Oban or Carlisle thinking they support Real Madrid or Chelsea.  It's headings towards fewer and fewer 'elite' teams. Unlike US sport where the draft system seems to a degree balance things out there is nothing to stop the big teams stockpiling players and Chelsea are world class at that - not criticising Chelsea they are just doing what they legally can.

45 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

This.

It'll just keep growing and growing until the bubble eventually bursts but people have been saying that for years and it's no closer to happening.

If things keep going the way they are we'll see players on £1m a week contracts before you know it.

5 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Sitting in the pub the night I saw a sky program about Red star Belgrade, I recognised Darko Pancev straight away and instantly I thought about the time we played them when souness was the manager, for the older bears that remember we got fucked in Belgrade but drew 1-1 at Ibrox end route to exiting the European cup, I think it was the next season that Red star did win the European cup beating Marseille on penalties, Marseille would then go on to win the European cup a couple of years later albeit under a cloud, again we were competing with these teams with a realistic chance of progress

Nearly 30yrs on and the chances of Red Star competing in the champions league again are slim let alone win it, the days of walking along to Ibrox on a Wednesday night full of confidence for a European night are a distant memory as money has totally fucked the whole infrastructure of European football, watching that tonight was a stark reminder where football is fucked up nowawdays as great clubs from European football history very rarely get a knife and fork at the big table now.

Exactly the same has happened in Scotland. Imagine how some fans feel at the start of the season? 

1 minute ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

This.

It'll just keep growing and growing until the bubble eventually bursts but people have been saying that for years and it's no closer to happening.

If things keep going the way they are we'll see players on £1m a week contracts before you know it.

The bubble will burst soon enough, who actually wants to sit and watch the same teams in the CL year after year?

2 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

This.

It will though.........................and put both your fingers in your ears when it does because they money men will be off at the drop of a hat 

17 minutes ago, bob1873 said:

I think another issue the TV 'boom' has caused is kids from Oban or Carlisle thinking they support Real Madrid or Chelsea.  It's headings towards fewer and fewer 'elite' teams. Unlike US sport where the draft system seems to a degree balance things out there is nothing to stop the big teams stockpiling players and Chelsea are world class at that - not criticising Chelsea they are just doing what they legally can.

for me it's time for FIFA to step in .rules need to be put in place to reduce the flow of young players from smaller countries to the larger countries 

this would help things balance out .the downward spiral in smaller countries bigger teams is to do with tv money .that there is no doubt .but if young players were allowed to be in there own domestic set up for a significant time it would help redress the balance .

Billy Gilmour is a perfect example 

we have our best player in a generation .swiped away before he's anywhere near the first team. not only do we lose out on a potential great player out leagues status is harmed .reducing income from tv .so many of Europe's former great clubs have been harmed by having the misfortune to come from a small country .the side ajax won with in 95 wouldn't be achievable now as most of those guys would have been plucked away at a younger age by another club from a big tv deal country 

it's not just clubs from the smaller countries affected the national teams will soon see the effects .players being lost to the game because they didn't mature in their own environments. and some of the ones that do flourish will neutralise in their new countries and play for them instead of their homeland 

yip.the games fucked.but it's good for minnows in the big leagues 

Football is big business and like all big business it's been economically globalised to benefit the few elite to the detriment of the masses like big business it's corrupt to the core FIFA/UEFA are just another Wall Street like criminal money burner....footballs a sport that we encourage our kids to play to be fit healthy competitive and enjoy.... the higher up the game you go the more deceitful and corrupt it becomes .... I don't watch the so called big events World Cup/ euros the gross over the top champions league pish.....footballs whored itself out to marketing and the greedy money makers....the level of debt in the game is not sustainable and WILL eventually implode totally destroying the game  ..... the title of the thread is spot on ....Football is fucked indeed....

I though the year Red Star beat us was the year they won the European Cup. I remember after we got beat 3-0 the media saying we were rubbish and the Red Star team would not do much in the competition. The night they came to Ibrox we could not touch them really . They were so good on the ball Prosinecki was fabulous that night . Privilege to witness him play 

SKY TV has totally transformed the game worldwide. It has single handedly given the English game an advatage over every other league in Europe. Its also no coincidence this runs closely with the change in the format of the CL that already sees the richest leagues given practically a clear passage to the group stages and the latter rounds.

You go into schools in Scotland and the youngsters know more about the EPL teams than their own league. Many of them actually support English teams WTF !!!

That did not happen when I was wee, everyone supported a Scottish team. This scenario is totally been made possible by Sky. They give them billions and then they can buy who they want. We are given peanuts and buy the shite that is left.

People say improve the product to increase interest and investment. Its impossible because any time someone shows talent they are snapped up for relative buttons from down south due to all the money. Even we are prone to this, and not just from the mega money teams but the absolute shite teams down south too. They can even steal our players before they are signed as pro, look at Gilmore.

It will only get worse as the EPL and teams in England are handed blank checks.........to put it in perspective, Sunderland were given more money for being the SHITTEST team in the EPL than Real Madrid were for winning the CL and La Liga.....WTF !!

Watched sphell highlights last week and ffs how embarrassing was the Kilmarnock  crowd ?. One stand empty except for advertising banners, one stand with less than 100 Ross County fans . Fans are deserting the game and only the old firm bigotry will keep Scottish football alive.

52 minutes ago, legalbeagle said:

The bubble will burst soon enough, who actually wants to sit and watch the same teams in the CL year after year?

Thats how i feel mate, you could probably name the quarter final and semi final every year before its even started. Nations like scotland belgium holland hungry austria etc should just break away from uefa and have are own european trophys.

3 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

Watched sphell highlights last week and ffs how embarrassing was the Kilmarnock  crowd ?. One stand empty except for advertising banners, one stand with less than 100 Ross County fans . Fans are deserting the game and only the old firm bigotry will keep Scottish football alive.

Or, you know, competently running the sport.