Football is fucked

hammer93

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have never watched a CL game since the Legia farce and don't miss it. Despite having follwed Scotland everywhere back in the 80's I make no attempt to watch their games now and don't miss it.

I never miss a Rangers game on RTV but TV stations here do show a lot of EPL games and I do watch some of them and generally enjoy them.

No doubt that money has completely changed the game and not for the better.

34 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Chucked in the towel on CL Football 3 year ago and haven't looked back.
Not fussed if I never watched another match (unless we ever return) 

Same, champions league night a couple of weeks back I sat and watched Cardiff v Leeds rather than a champions league game. Hardly any interest in it until we return.

I am sure provincial fans in Scotland feel the same about celtic and Rangers nowadays. Last non old from side to win the title being about 30 years ago and the league now becoming a one horse race. It mirrors our problem trying to catch celtic now as well. Realistically we may never and that is hard to stomach. Football is finished and it is all because of money, we have shite hawk diddy clubs with more money than sense all over the place and historical huge clubs nowhere on the financial ladder with little to no hope of enjoying success again. It's extremely sad but the way of the world now sadly. You either get on the bus or you are left behind. 

We're still waiting for our bus, perhaps it's broken down or been cancelled but it sure don't look like coming any time soon. 

1 hour ago, onefootwillie said:

I though the year Red Star beat us was the year they won the European Cup. I remember after we got beat 3-0 the media saying we were rubbish and the Red Star team would not do much in the competition. The night they came to Ibrox we could not touch them really . They were so good on the ball Prosinecki was fabulous that night . Privilege to witness him play 

I seem to recall the team that blew us away was nowhere to be seen in the final.

I think they barely crossed the half way line, as they set out their stall for penalties right from the off!

Op. Great post. Football as we know it ended with the game changer that was sky.  But with technology it was inevitable

The romance of football is gone. The working mans game is gone.

Our hearts tho bleed The Rangers. Hopefully that is eternal

39 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Have never watched a CL game since the Legia farce and don't miss it. Despite having follwed Scotland everywhere back in the 80's I make no attempt to watch their games now and don't miss it.

I never miss a Rangers game on RTV but TV stations here do show a lot of EPL games and I do watch some of them and generally enjoy them.

No doubt that money has completely changed the game and not for the better.

Champions league has become predictable and stale in my opinion . Last major "surprise" was Chelsea winning it and even then they are still one of the worlds richest teams. 

1 hour ago, Camshy said:

SKY TV has totally transformed the game worldwide. It has single handedly given the English game an advatage over every other league in Europe. Its also no coincidence this runs closely with the change in the format of the CL that already sees the richest leagues given practically a clear passage to the group stages and the latter rounds.

You go into schools in Scotland and the youngsters know more about the EPL teams than their own league. Many of them actually support English teams WTF !!!

That did not happen when I was wee, everyone supported a Scottish team. This scenario is totally been made possible by Sky. They give them billions and then they can buy who they want. We are given peanuts and buy the shite that is left.

People say improve the product to increase interest and investment. Its impossible because any time someone shows talent they are snapped up for relative buttons from down south due to all the money. Even we are prone to this, and not just from the mega money teams but the absolute shite teams down south too. They can even steal our players before they are signed as pro, look at Gilmore.

It will only get worse as the EPL and teams in England are handed blank checks.........to put it in perspective, Sunderland were given more money for being the SHITTEST team in the EPL than Real Madrid were for winning the CL and La Liga.....WTF !!

If anything ever happened to Sky or the huge media conglomerate around it every club in England would be fucked. They are currently running at huge debt secured by the Sky TV money. If this security were to pull out, the banks would move in and foreclose nearly every club in the Premier League. It's a dangerous situation, Sky and the media have way to much power, but the clubs are at their mercy, or the banks.

No apologies, but you can't fucking blame Sky when Scottish teams can't even beat fucking goat herders from Stani states and no marks from the likes of Luxembourg year on year.

In no other market place does business stand still waiting for the likes of us to awake from our coma. 

The scum continue with their monopoly here because we have an inept and impotent board that lacks both the vision, the investment and the courage to improve our standing even domestically. 

No point in moaning if we aint prepared to anything about it, other than the usual it's every other cunt's fault. We wouldn't be fucking complaining if were one of the chosen few like Barca or Chelsea.

From where I sit, I see liewell playing a long game to get in about the elite in making a case for them in becoming one of Europe's chosen few, whilst we fanny about like paupers bleating like sheep.

Yes, we could level that there are many forces who conspire against us, but vision and courage cost nothing and it isn't hard to work out who or what holds us back, but let us all ignore that big fuck off elephant in the room.

When do we actually decide and say enough is enough? We want to be winners again? Taking into accout there is only one team to beat. Sadly our recent MO says never. So let's all again deflect to C1872' their always good for a serious whipping and when the international break is over, we can all get back to our usual hobby of shredding the manager and the team, whomever they happen to be at any given time.

Then the usual detractors come on, givng it but, but, we should be a much better second and we have a right to criticise a poor performing team. Yes we do, but not when we choose to ignore the far bigger picture and that is exactly why we will never take this title, nor beat goat herders for a generation to come.

The root cause of our mediocrity, rests not with what we see on the park. 

Ever decreasing circles and diminishing returns are our new watchwords and ffs, please don't some of the deluded come on and ask, well where are the alternatives, because that is exactly why we are where we are, but no doubt some will indeed give in to temptation, just to prove my point.

We may be in a landscape of a stacked deck, but we fucking experts at making sure it stays that way.

15 minutes ago, delamonty said:

Op. Great post. Football as we know it ended with the game changer that was sky.  But with technology it was inevitable

The romance of football is gone. The working mans game is gone.

Our hearts tho bleed The Rangers. Hopefully that is eternal

The game changer was us going tits up.

In business you either adapt to you environment or you die.

Some make the best of it and adapt, whilst others surrender and wither on the vine.

There are only two clubs in Scotland big enough to compete. One is adapting and ploughing a furrow, whilst the other is doing what exactly? It matters not the advantage, as it is up to the other to close the gap.

The gap is not being closed because of fans and a poor support, but simply by a board who do not share the vision nor have the business acumen to turn it around. 

Now our board aint that stupid to be so inept, so I do question their motivation, which for me is the question as to exactly why and what they are doing at our club.

Will never happen as it's too far gone now but transfer fees should be abolished. Only fees for development should be paid. The amount of money being wasted in football is sickening. When clubs like everton play weakened teams in the uefa cup because they are not that bothered you know football is fucked. 

12 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

No apologies, but you can't fucking blame Sky when Scottish teams can't even beat fucking goat herders from Stani states and no marks from the likes of Luxembourg year on year.

In no other market place does business stand still waiting for the likes of us to awake from our coma. 

The scum continue with their monopoly here because we have an inept and impotent board that lacks both the vision, the investment and the courage to improve our standing even domestically. 

No point in moaning if we aint prepared to anything about it, other than the usual it's every other cunt's fault. We wouldn't be fucking complaining if were one of the chosen few like Barca or Chelsea.

From where I sit, I see liewell playing a long game to get in about the elite in making a case for them in becoming one of Europe's chosen few, whilst we fanny about like paupers bleating like sheep.

Yes, we could level that there are many forces who conspire against us, but vision and courage cost nothing and it isn't hard to work out who or what holds us back, but let us all ignore that big fuck off elephant in the room.

When do we actually decide and say enough is enough? We want to be winners again? Taking into accout there is only one team to beat. Sadly our recent MO says never. So let's all again deflect to C1872' their always good for a serious whipping and when the international break is over, we can all get back to our usual hobby of shredding the manager and the team, whomever they happen to be at any given time.

Then the usual detractors come on, givng it but, but, we should be a much better second and we have a right to criticise a poor performing team. Yes we do, but not when we choose to ignore the far bigger picture and that is exactly why we will never take this title, nor beat goat herders for a generation to come.

The root cause of our mediocrity, rests not with what we see on the park. 

Ever decreasing circles and diminishing returns are our new watchwords and ffs, please don't some of the deluded come on and ask, well where are the alternatives, because that is exactly why we are where we are, but no doubt some will indeed give in to temptation, just to prove my point.

We may be in a landscape of a stacked deck, but we fucking experts at making sure it stays that way.

Money dictates everything. Think you are missing the point, there is fuckall we can do about it in the current climate. I'm talking about the bigger picture here and not just solely our club.

20 plus years ago teams like Aberdeen and Motherwell had international players, some from Holland. That will never happen again, unless they field a 14 year old who plays for the national team.

There can be no confusion over where the problem lies, right at the front door of SKY. You now have teams in other leagues being subsidised by multi billionaires throwing their money about trying to compete with the billions the EPL get from SKY and now BT and other foreign TV companies joining the bamd wagon. Look at that disgrace of a club PSG spending nearly 200 million on a player PS fucking G. Big club in france and always have been but who were they 5 plus years ago ?

Now you see there tops everywhere. A few years ago B Dortmund were in for a certain player, QPR were also in for him. One club is a huge name in football with a big pedigree and a full stadium of over 80000 every game. The other is a diddy team in England with a small fan base, shite stadium and little pedigree historically BUT they managed to snag the player as thry could pay 3 times more than a heavyweight team like Dortmund.........that is fucked up.

Bang on this ,All the top European teams when I was growing up have plummeted to mediocrity and will never return to European champions coz teams like Man City pay 30 million for a 3rd choice keeper , the money has a negative effect on clubs like Man City etc to , the soul has been ripped right out that club , main road used to packed with working class lads creating a great atmosphere and ecstatic if their team got a win now the Etihad is never full and full of tourists 

I think we'all see elite football drift away and we'll hopefully retain some kind of traditions in this country around the game 

a European breakaway cup with us/some Dutch teams/some Belgian teams is surely the way forward once the CL chuck the wee teams out 

9 minutes ago, Camshy said:

Money dictates everything. Think you are missing the point, there is fuckall we can do about it in the current climate. I'm talking about the bigger picture here and not just solely our club.

20 plus years ago teams like Aberdeen and Motherwell had international players, some from Holland. That will never happen again, unless they field a 14 year old who plays for the national team.

There can be no confusion over where the problem lies, right at the front door of SKY. You now have teams in other leagues being subsidised by multi billionaires throwing their money about trying to compete with the billions the EPL get from SKY and now BT and other foreign TV companies joining the bamd wagon. Look at that disgrace of a club PSG spending nearly 200 million on a player PS fucking G. Big club in france and always have been but who were they 5 plus years ago ?

Now you see there tops everywhere. A few years ago B Dortmund were in for a certain player, QPR were also in for him. One club is a huge name in football with a big pedigree and a full stadium of over 80000 every game. The other is a diddy team in England with a small fan base, shite stadium and little pedigree historically BUT they managed to snag the player as thry could pay 3 times more than a heavyweight team like Dortmund.........that is fucked up.

I am talking big picture. Understand the game has moved on and we have not.

Can you explain why outwith the scum that no Scottish team can beat fucking goat herders who are NOT heavily funded by Sky. No point in bleating about Europes elite and Sky when Scottish teams can't even beat goat herders with little footballing tradition ffs to even qualify for Europe's worst competition ever.

BTW, PSG were founded sometime in the 70's. They have done well and why not?! 

There is one team in the east end doing rather well whilst we do what exactly? Care to enlighten me?

Liewell spends time infuencing the movers and shakers in Europe towards one goal and that is to make sure they are at the top table when the doors get firmly shut to all others.

What are we doing? Silence! That'll get us far! 

Accept football IS a business with the current business environment shaped by Sky and as I said, either adapt and make the best of it or die, but ffs stop the fucking bleating.

As for our lot, it was firmly cast when we went down, but we have made one shit job of returning. Successively led by crooks and trough guzzlers and we just never fucking learn, as the scum turn everything to their advantage and that is not by coincidence nor luck.

Yes, keep blaming Sky and wishing the downfall of others. That'll sort it

3 hours ago, Cedrick said:

Bang on this ,All the top European teams when I was growing up have plummeted to mediocrity and will never return to European champions coz teams like Man City pay 30 million for a 3rd choice keeper , the money has a negative effect on clubs like Man City etc to , the soul has been ripped right out that club , main road used to packed with working class lads creating a great atmosphere and ecstatic if their team got a win now the Etihad is never full and full of tourists 

Real Madrid?  Bayern Munich? Man U,  Who?

Who Are these working class?

Society has well changed. The dominance of the so called Working class disappeared along with the mines, the steel industry and the shipyards.

The working class do not have any God given right to football. 

Society is now made up of the haves and have not's. Many of the haves being made up of the previous working class who were fortunate enough to have the chance to move on, unlike our club. Football support now being made up of mainly the white collar worker. They can't be supporters?

The world and the world of football has moved on, whilst we in this backwater lament about glories past and do fuck all about our future.

2 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Chucked in the towel on CL Football 3 year ago and haven't looked back.
Not fussed if I never watched another match (unless we ever return) 

Same here, after I found out when Porto won it they recieved less that half the amount Man Utd recieved who were booted out (by Porto) in the last 16. You know the games a bogey. 

Surely everyone should be in agreement that the team who actually wins the fucking thing should get the most prize money. 

I was at both games, they are close to best team I had seen us play, we lost 3-0 but honestly could have been about 4 done before they got their first which if I'm right was an own goal. They had just sold their best player before we played them and just unleashed another wonder kid. 

The Steau team of the same era was also amazing to watch. 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Apart from Rangers I can’t remember the last time I actually sat and watched a full 90mins of football. 

To make it interesting I usually have a bet on game. If I find I have my bet up with about 20m to go I stop watching, can’t handle it, ha

I seriously haven't watched a single EPL game for 3 full years, not a single one.

It's absolutely disgusting the money that's engulfed football. Bog standard players are being signed for 50 million quid and offered astronomical wages when the country is fucked and food bank use is through the roof.

I know there's a growing number of people becoming massively disillusioned with it all.

59 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

I am talking big picture. Understand the game has moved on and we have not.

Can you explain why outwith the scum that no Scottish team can beat fucking goat herders who are NOT heavily funded by Sky. No point in bleating about Europes elite and Sky when Scottish teams can't even beat goat herders with little footballing tradition ffs to even qualify for Europe's worst competition ever.

BTW, PSG were founded sometime in the 70's. They have done well and why not?! 

There is one team in the east end doing rather well whilst we do what exactly? Care to enlighten me?

Liewell spends time infuencing the movers and shakers in Europe towards one goal and that is to make sure they are at the top table when the doors get firmly shut to all others.

What are we doing? Silence! That'll get us far! 

Accept football IS a business with the current business environment shaped by Sky and as I said, either adapt and make the best of it or die, but ffs stop the fucking bleating.

As for our lot, it was firmly cast when we went down, but we have made one shit job of returning. Successively led by crooks and trough guzzlers and we just never fucking learn, as the scum turn everything to their advantage and that is not by coincidence nor luck.

Yes, keep blaming Sky and wishing the downfall of others. That'll sort it

You are clearly missing the point.

We are being left behind because of money given to other leagues.........prior to Sky TV teams in this country could actually hold onto talent for a few seasons and then command market value that the whole UK worked close to. Now they spend 100s of millions on players, pay very little for Scottish talent because they ( english clubs ) can afford to waste money on a gamble and maybe they ( english clubs ) can unearth the next gem. They do it with players all over the world. Guys who are no where near the Chelsea or city etc first team but on heavy wages compared to what clubs here can pay.. This does 2 things.

1 - it makes our teams weaker

2- it makes our league as a whole weaker.

We can do nothing about it due to BILLIONS in the English game.

Our teams are then left trying to fill the void of a likely inferior player.....he thrn shows a little promise and then bang same scenario.

How in fuck can Rangers and others in this country improve ? We simply cant.

As for celtic, well they are only in such a good position because we were not in the league. This handed them umpteen titles and passage to CL millions while spending the bare minimum to beat the shite that was Aberdeen, St Johnstone etc. Its no wonder they are financially sound given that and Rangers turmoil with the previous board.

As for going out of Europe......no excuses but even when we were able to spend top dollar we always struggled with the early European ties.