Football is fucked

hammer93

I detest SKY for what they have done to the Scottish game and us in particular.

And while I'm on, it is a national disgrace that Englands WC matches are on terrestrial tv while Scotland fans need to pay SKY to watch their games.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

Our board along with the scum's at the time were party to givng Sky the boot and jumping into bed with the Dublin based Sentanta. Didn''t miss the irony. What did our father's always tell us about taigs again and to beware of strangers bearing gifts?!

As far as I remember it was us and the tarriers that tried to get the rest of Scottish football to stick with Sky and not setanta but the diddy teams said no and out voted us.

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

Real Madrid?  Bayern Munich? Man U,  Who?

Who Are these working class?

Spciety has well changed. The dominance of the so called Working class disappeared along with the mines, the steel industry and the shipyards.

The working class do not have any God given right to football. 

Society is now made up of the haves and have not's. Many of the haves being made up of the previous working class who were fortunate enough to have the chance to move on, unlike our club. Football support now being made up of mainly the white collar worker. They can't be supporters?

The world and the world of football has moved on, whilst we in this backwater lament about glories past and do fuck all about our future.

Reminds me of Bruce Springsteen and the trade unions. Always banging on about "the blue collar guy" and the decline of industry. Like the "blue collar guy" has the god given right to have a job for life at an unprofitable factory, subsidised by the rest  of us. 

All the people on here banging on about football being "taken from the working class" are an embarrassment. 

Plenty of games lower down the football pyramid if you care that much about community, etc.  

23 minutes ago, TopCat said:

And while I'm on, it is a national disgrace that Englands WC matches are on terrestrial tv while Scotland fans need to pay SKY to watch their games.

You detest a business for doing exactly what a business is suppose to do? 

Is it sky's fault Scottish football is so bad? Is it sky not turning up to games and making attendences awful? Is sky responsible for the quality of coaching? Is it sky who makes Scottish playlers technically poor and sorely lacking dedication and athleticism? 

Sky gave English football a bunch of money. That's nothing to do with Scotland, it's just an easy excuse. 

Iceland, Northern Ireland and Slovenia can all get to major tournaments and they'll earn a tenth of what the SPL gets in tv money. 

Also "national disgrace". I can think of many things in Scotland that constitute a "national disgrace" but the SFA choosing to have games on sky because it makes them a bit more money isn't really one of them is it? Fucking  moron.

I remember that Red Star team well, one of the best to ever play the game. Think they were the first European team ever to beat Bayern Munich in Munich. Just about everyone of those 11 players ended up playing in Serie A within 2 years, which was the place to be at the time. We will never see the like of that team again, a team from a small country that could bring through a group with that talent and keep them together for a few years until they became a great team. Every few year Ajax, for example, have what looks to be a team of young players that come through and look like they could do something great, then along come the lazy bastards from the cash rich football countries that cant be fucked or don't know how to develop their own players and buy half their team.Anderlecht looked good against Man utd last season but everyone knew that all their best players would be gone before the start of this season. They are then back to square one, probably wondering what is the point. All the while UEFA looks on and does nothing, too scared of the super clubs lest they fuck off and make their own completion. How sad it is that clubs like Ajax, Porto and Red star are nothing now but talent nurseries.Fuck UEFA, Barcelona, psg, man utd and the whole lot of them.

5 hours ago, onefootwillie said:

I though the year Red Star beat us was the year they won the European Cup. I remember after we got beat 3-0 the media saying we were rubbish and the Red Star team would not do much in the competition. The night they came to Ibrox we could not touch them really . They were so good on the ball Prosinecki was fabulous that night . Privilege to witness him play 

They did bud I just wasn't sure at the time of posting 

12 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Sitting in the pub the night I saw a sky program about Red star Belgrade, I recognised Darko Pancev straight away and instantly I thought about the time we played them when souness was the manager, for the older bears that remember we got fucked in Belgrade but drew 1-1 at Ibrox end route to exiting the European cup, I think it was the next season that Red star did win the European cup beating Marseille on penalties, Marseille would then go on to win the European cup a couple of years later albeit under a cloud, again we were competing with these teams with a realistic chance of progress

Nearly 30yrs on and the chances of Red Star competing in the champions league again are slim let alone win it, the days of walking along to Ibrox on a Wednesday night full of confidence for a European night are a distant memory as money has totally fucked the whole infrastructure of European football, watching that tonight was a stark reminder where football is fucked up nowawdays as great clubs from European football history very rarely get a knife and fork at the big table now.

Spot on, I loathe the champions league with a passion. Gone are the days when teams like Rangers could actually win the trophy. Back in the days of Souness we had a chance, it took quality teams like Red Star and Steua to knock us out. Now teams like us celebrate if we qualify and go mental if we get out the group stages.

cant understand why younger bears have a passion for the CL when it was put together to take us away from the top table.

we have no hope of winning it and without hoe what’s the point really?

10 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

Spot on, I loathe the champions league with a passion. Gone are the days when teams like Rangers could actually win the trophy. Back in the days of Souness we had a chance, it took quality teams like Red Star and Steua to knock us out. Now teams like us celebrate if we qualify and go mental if we get out the group stages.

cant understand why younger bears have a passion for the CL when it was put together to take us away from the top table.

we have no hope of winning it and without hoe what’s the point really?

The only thing  is we were one of the original pioneers to start the champions league, the original format was fine when we still had knockout rounds to get you into the group stages with all teams being their countries champions, what has happened to it is just wrong, you can finish 4th in your league but be crowned European champions a year later:britney:

2 hours ago, Camshy said:

You are clearly missing the point.

We are being left behind because of money given to other leagues.........prior to Sky TV teams in this country could actually hold onto talent for a few seasons and then command market value that the whole UK worked close to. Now they spend 100s of millions on players, pay very little for Scottish talent because they ( english clubs ) can afford to waste money on a gamble and maybe they ( english clubs ) can unearth the next gem. They do it with players all over the world. Guys who are no where near the Chelsea or city etc first team but on heavy wages compared to what clubs here can pay.. This does 2 things.

1 - it makes our teams weaker

2- it makes our league as a whole weaker.

We can do nothing about it due to BILLIONS in the English game.

Our teams are then left trying to fill the void of a likely inferior player.....he thrn shows a little promise and then bang same scenario.

How in fuck can Rangers and others in this country improve ? We simply cant.

As for celtic, well they are only in such a good position because we were not in the league. This handed them umpteen titles and passage to CL millions while spending the bare minimum to beat the shite that was Aberdeen, St Johnstone etc. Its no wonder they are financially sound given that and Rangers turmoil with the previous board.

As for going out of Europe......no excuses but even when we were able to spend top dollar we always struggled with the early European ties.

Never in our wildest dreams can we compete with the Chelsea's of this world. They have an oligarch and yes all that Sky money. Shit happens and more shit happens when you dump Sky and go for the money from crooks in Dublin.

There is no void. Our league is our league and not fucking many Scottish players in the top league in England these days. Why should their be, as they can sign the elite from Europe and the better ones from their own back yard.

Now these Stani fucking goat herders and part time teams from Europe's dust bin. They do NOT get the Sky billions, so how the fuck do they year on year hump all Scottish teams out of Europe? Pray explain. We always struggle is no answer.

Then we have the scum. Playing in our league, who continually bring through decent young talent and pay top money for a decent manager and bring in other decent quality.

Then liewell has the foresight to kiss butt of Europe's movers and shakers to make sure they get a seat at the top table when the door closes on the rest. All around the scumdome these days you see prosperity. Corrupt maybe, but he fucking done it and we have no answer to it. Then the recent matter a of their hotel complex. Our pipe dream, now their fucking reality!

Switch back over to Ibrox, we have Roberston and mini in their bunker, literally feeding the punters shite, tick tacking with our furher in his bunker in Africa, who feeds us even more shite. Can you explain as to exactly what they are doing to improve our lot? Our stadium is an eyesore after years of neglect, as is the area around it suffering from same, far less wtf is going on in the park.

It may come as a surprise to those in denial, but we ARE in austerity whilst the beggars prosper and make all the right moves. Bad enough, but worse than that, we have not the means to get out of it and none of it is due to Sky money in the EPL.

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

Scottish football fucked itself and why would the rest of us want to watch Scotland WC matches? 

13 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Sitting in the pub the night I saw a sky program about Red star Belgrade, I recognised Darko Pancev straight away and instantly I thought about the time we played them when souness was the manager, for the older bears that remember we got fucked in Belgrade but drew 1-1 at Ibrox end route to exiting the European cup, I think it was the next season that Red star did win the European cup beating Marseille on penalties, Marseille would then go on to win the European cup a couple of years later albeit under a cloud, again we were competing with these teams with a realistic chance of progress

Nearly 30yrs on and the chances of Red Star competing in the champions league again are slim let alone win it, the days of walking along to Ibrox on a Wednesday night full of confidence for a European night are a distant memory as money has totally fucked the whole infrastructure of European football, watching that tonight was a stark reminder where football is fucked up nowawdays as great clubs from European football history very rarely get a knife and fork at the big table now.

You are conflating two issues here

1: the change in money paid to teams for TV rights, which has bypassed Scottish football

and

2: the attempted assassination of Rangers Football Club, by enemies, where we had a team competing to get into the Champions League proper one season, with a team full of International players, yet one season later we are playing in the lowest division in the land.

They fucked us, good and proper.

No one has had the balls to go full on into digging up exactly how, who and why the tax investigation started and how it led to the near destruction of the club.

Would never happen to any other major club.

4 hours ago, TopCat said:

Sky haven’t done anything bad to the Scottish league, they’ve pumped in millions after all.

hows it a national disgrace? The Scottish FA signed a deal with a satellite tv company and the English FA signed a deal with a terrestrial tv company.

8 hours ago, legalbeagle said:

The bubble will burst soon enough, who actually wants to sit and watch the same teams in the CL year after year?

When the top teams are still pushing for more and more cash and not being told to feck off we are still far away from the bubble leaking never mind bursting. The Indian and Chinese market is not been scratched yet never mind  exploited.

15 hours ago, hammer93 said:

To my mind, what the big clubs, their leagues and UEFA have done to football is infinitely worse than anything Blatter did.

Blatter trousered money to influence which nation got to host the finals of tournaments and in slight mitigation he has tried to ensure all continents got a shot. While it's wrong to abuse his position like that is it any harder for teams to qualify for a finals held in one country than another? The answer is no so in essence he's corrupted the administration of the game but not so much the game itself.

Contrast that with what the 5 big leagues, their associations and clubs and UEFA did. They took a competition where all champions, regardless of what country they came form, qualified for the tournament and turned it into guaranteed spots for up to 4 teams from the rich nations leagues and made smaller nations champions jump through up to 3 qualifying rounds.  It's now much harder for smaller nations to do well in this competition for two reasons, one obviously they have to play a number of qualifying rounds, early in the season and two,  they now face a much tougher competition when they make it through to the group stages which come pre-loaded with the top 3 or 4 teams from the 5 big leagues.

This is concentrating the money and best players in a handful of leagues making the competition harder and harder year on year for the rest of European football.

Blatter corrupted the administration of the game, UEFA, the 5 big leagues and their clubs have corrupted the game itself. 

1 hour ago, AlCapone said:

Sky haven’t done anything bad to the Scottish league, they’ve pumped in millions after all.

hows it a national disgrace? The Scottish FA signed a deal with a satellite tv company and the English FA signed a deal with a terrestrial tv company.

The home nations qualifying games are designated games and can be shown on terrestrial TV but the SFA chooses to sell the rights to satellite.

People  envy celtic  and contrast them with us but really in the grand scheme of things they are only in the group stages to make up the numbers, they more or less admit that they are going for 3rd before a ball is kicked. Their supporters lap it up for now but for  how much longer?. When they realise how utterly futile their attempts to compete are against the superclubs will they keep buying tickets year after year? Yes they'll get the champions league money,  making the league in Scotland a cert for them, but nowhere near enough to compete with chelseas, bayerns and the rest. And what good is 3rd in the champions league? In previous years a club from a smaller country could have a real stab at the Europa league, but with automatic qualification to the champions league for the winners then the clubs from the countries with the tv money actually want to win it meaning you've got no chance. celtic and Anderlecht etc are in effect the Hamilton and Particks of the champions league. At the moment they are happy to be patronised by people complimenting the atmosphere and suchlike pish but sooner or later the big clubs will cut them adrift altogether when people stop watching foregone conclusions.  The problem is the tv money genie is out the bottle and fuck knows what can be done about it.

I'll have an interest in the CL when Rangers are back in it, I really dont watch any other football apart from Rangers games, fuck all staunch about it, if I dont care who wins it just doesn't hold my interest. 5 years ago I'd take an interest in the scum games looking for them to drop points now I wouldn't watch them if they were playing in ma garden

11 hours ago, gsa said:

You detest a business for doing exactly what a business is suppose to do? 

Is it sky's fault Scottish football is so bad? Is it sky not turning up to games and making attendences awful? Is sky responsible for the quality of coaching? Is it sky who makes Scottish playlers technically poor and sorely lacking dedication and athleticism? 

Sky gave English football a bunch of money. That's nothing to do with Scotland, it's just an easy excuse. 

Iceland, Northern Ireland and Slovenia can all get to major tournaments and they'll earn a tenth of what the SPL gets in tv money. 

Also "national disgrace". I can think of many things in Scotland that constitute a "national disgrace" but the SFA choosing to have games on sky because it makes them a bit more money isn't really one of them is it? Fucking  moron.

Its a major part of the problem and I will tell you why.

They have all the money, thanks to Sky that much we know. Now a Scottish club, any club, brings through a player. That player shows great promise, maybe plays a season or so and is getting plaudits from fans and the media here.

Now the mega money down south decide to offer said player £5000 per week, double it and its still nowt to them and makes little difference. That player is on about £500 per week if he is lucky playing outwith us and them.

The youngster will naturally move, I mean who wouldnt ? Can set you up for life. Any way he is no where near good enough for the level down south and hasnt been able to develop properlly in Scotland, due to playing only 20 or 30 games.

He moves to whoever as they can afford to burn millions on potential talent. He wastes away in their reserves and youth teams, not developing like he ordinarily would in a competitive environment. This in turn effects the countries ability to produce talent simply because these teams can buy whoever whenever and it makes not one dent in their coffers.

The game in this country gets weaker, the money down south goes up. The amount they rake goes up, the amount they speculate on bit part players go up and our game falls deeper into mediocrity...........my main concern is.

How the fuck can people not see this, am I the only one with my eyes open ?

Also no coincidence the national team has qualified for one tornament since SKY started to subsidise English football.

15 hours ago, plumbGER said:

Been saying for ages the game is fucked.

Don't even watch MOTD now because the generic chanting and over rated shite passed off as superstars.

I hope the English game dies.

It does not help the game in Scotland to have the richest league in the world on our doorstep, but we have never helped ourselves we should model our game on what the Germans did and reduce ticket prices and get fans in the door obviously not at Rangers but at other clubs instead they look at short term cash rather than the long term health of the game. 

9 minutes ago, GWR1979 said:

It does not help the game in Scotland to have the richest league in the world on our doorstep, but we have never helped ourselves we should model our game on what the Germans did and reduce ticket prices and get fans in the door obviously not at Rangers but at other clubs instead they look at short term cash rather than the long term health of the game. 

Yes mate, have been saying this for a long time but clubs in the lower divisions are too expensive and rely on gate receipts to get by.

13 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

People  envy celtic  and contrast them with us but really in the grand scheme of things they are only in the group stages to make up the numbers, they more or less admit that they are going for 3rd before a ball is kicked. Their supporters lap it up for now but for  how much longer?. When they realise how utterly futile their attempts to compete are against the superclubs will they keep buying tickets year after year? Yes they'll get the champions league money,  making the league in Scotland a cert for them, but nowhere near enough to compete with chelseas, bayerns and the rest. And what good is 3rd in the champions league? In previous years a club from a smaller country could have a real stab at the Europa league, but with automatic qualification to the champions league for the winners then the clubs from the countries with the tv money actually want to win it meaning you've got no chance. celtic and Anderlecht etc are in effect the Hamilton and Particks of the champions league. At the moment they are happy to be patronised by people complimenting the atmosphere and suchlike pish but sooner or later the big clubs will cut them adrift altogether when people stop watching foregone conclusions.  The problem is the tv money genie is out the bottle and fuck knows what can be done about it.

You don't want us qualifying for it then? Let's keep playing for second spot in the league then!

Sorted!

The prequalifiers are a joke and should be done away with.

Ok let the super rich leagues have their 3 or 4 teams in the hat, but all winners of the smaller leagues go straight to the group stages. It means more groups, so what's the problem? The problem is, it means the money divvied up between more clubs, less for the super rich who complain and get their way.

That is where UEFA corrupt the game. They make it an elite competition for the rich and not that for champions. That is not down to Sky, but down to UEFA allowing the bullies to have it their way.

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 03:21, hammer93 said:

Yes and the beggars have used every manoeuvre in their control  , to make sure we don't ever get back to that situation for a very long time .

Corruption in Scotland's game as insure power has been lost to them for many of our lifetimes .

We have a board that sit on their arses with self interest .

These days in early 90s being a bear were special .

Sadly again . Self interest , greed and corruption have soiled this tournament for me

It is geared up to make the rich clubs get richer and everyone else just fight over the small pieces of the pie .

We will be lucky to ever get that small piece of pie ever in  this decade . probably even longer as we will never be seeded , the way beggars seem to be every time .