Johnny Dangerously

Rangers related picture thread

Found this pic of a Rangers v Moscow Dynamo match at Ibrox. Think we drew 2-2. No idea what their keeper has dropped. If anyone can name any of the Gers players then you’re a better man than me.

9EFAE90A-29E4-4026-9DBA-A2C5653213CF.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Found this pic of a Rangers v Moscow Dynamo match at Ibrox. Think we drew 2-2. No idea what their keeper has dropped. If anyone can name any of the Gers players then you’re a better man than me.

9EFAE90A-29E4-4026-9DBA-A2C5653213CF.jpeg

Torry Gillick is definitely the one on the left.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Torry Gillick is definitely the one on the left.

I will take your word for that bud it’s defo a name I’ve heard of.

Just now, Johnny Dangerously said:

I will take your word for that bud it’s defo a name I’ve heard of.

I think Billy Williamson is the one holding back the baldy and i've no idea who is coming into shot.

I've found the line up: 

Dawson, D Gray, Shaw, Watkins, Young, Symon, Waddell, Gillick, Smith, Williamson, Johnston

The other two must be Smith and then Johnston as i'm not familiar with him or what he looks like?

Here's a great pic of Willie Waddell from the same game:

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

24 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Ajax Cruyff and all

337DC8A6-4997-4610-A096-F9BD85668ABB.jpeg

The big man in the middle is Andy Cunningham who was 'the oldest Ranger' at the time.

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

The big man in the middle is Andy Cunningham who was 'the oldest Ranger' at the time.

Was a boy at that game, lost 3-1 if I remember right. They were a great side back then. Also lost 3-2 away too, think we had hope in that game that we might get a result, can’t quite mind how the scoring went. Wasn’t to be though.

Just now, Johnny Dangerously said:

Was a boy at that game, lost 3-1 if I remember right. They were a great side back then. Also lost 3-2 away too, think we had hope in that game that we might get a result, can’t quite mind how the scoring went. Wasn’t to be though.

My Dad was at the game, he would have been 20.

I think its amazing that in the early 70s you got to see guys like Beckenbauer and Cruyff strutting about Ibrox.

1 minute ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0c77559ffd21ced480a2d254fc2b9658.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7188b6e4147aca985014fb0421606f57.jpeg

image.jpeg.f61c372f48ecf5bd4b256ebe37d9fa0c.jpeg

I have the reprint of that from the Willie Waddell book.

Two Mangers to be, playing in the same team. 

Would have been 1991 when that happened next with McCall and McCoist playing together. 

21 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It was indeed. Unfortunately he passed away only a few weeks later 

Moscow Dynamo recruited players from other Russin teams to enhance their line-up on the tour and were effectively the Russian national team.

After a warm up game against Chelsea which ended 3-3, they hammered Cardiff 10-1, then defeated  an Arsenal team that included Stan Mathews and  Stan Mathews as guests 4-3 at White Heart Lane (sic).

So to Ibrox and the famous 2-2 draw in front of 90,000 fans, and as Rangers aggression pinned them back in the second half they famously put on a player as substitute, but omitted to take one off, a tactic they had apparently tried against Arsenal too, damn Ruskies

I love stuff like this, especially as at that time Arsenal and Rangers were the two greatest teams in Britain and probably Europe. The Russians brought along a new kind of football, similar to the later Dutch "Total Football", with all players passing and covering for each other. The Russians also had the great goalkeeper "Tiger Khomich" who was deemed to be the greatest goalie in the world at the time.on a level with the later great Lev Yashin. Only mention of famous hoops back then was the blue/white hoops we played in, and the yellow hoops on the Russians baggy blue shorts.

Just now, tannerall said:

That's not a wee plastic doll, it's Willie Johnston crowd surfing after scoring against cellic..........................

Haha

i spent forever trying to get my nephew one of those in the 90s. Couldn’t find one anywhere. Thought maybe some Bear would have one in his attic or somewhere.

1 minute ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Haha

i spent forever trying to get my nephew one of those in the 90s. Couldn’t find one anywhere. Thought maybe some Bear would have one in his attic or somewhere.

OT's the place to find posters with blow up dolls in their attic. Some real ones in their cellars too..........

Just noticed this posted elsewhere, brilliant.

880cdbd337ed7e924af9220ff42d71c8_zpsdruz

e0eda1ffa0be246d377df59cfbd898c4_zpseetl

Just now, tannerall said:

OT's the place to find posters with blow up dolls in their attic. Some real ones in their cellars too..........

Just now, Virtuoso said:

Just noticed this posted elsewhere, brilliant.

880cdbd337ed7e924af9220ff42d71c8_zpsdruz

e0eda1ffa0be246d377df59cfbd898c4_zpseetl

4A3734B9-0B18-41A6-9B61-1325F334EE50.jpeg