Rangers Picture Thread

5 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Aw fucking hell remember that? Nicky Clark scored the winner for them!

He was an absolute goal machine in the lower divisions at that time. He didn’t do badly at Rangers but he never reached those levels again. Loved him when he did get in about it though. That finish against Hibs at Ibrox in the 4-2 game! He absolutely loved wearing that jersey.

His goal against Kilmarnock was my favourite

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

His goal against Kilmarnock was my favourite

I’ve still got a video somewhere of everyone going mental to the Warburton is Magic song at full time. Regardless of how it turned out, he had us in some proper feel good times that season. That wasn’t a night for beautiful football mind you and was one of the only times I can remember us winning ugly under him.

It was fucking pishing it down, I was drenched. Extra fondness of that game because my dad got cunted with the ball right on his dome during the warm up before the game. :lol:

23 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Supposedly the first ever professional Icelandic footballer! My brother started speaking about him at half time in Ibrox last month and I couldn’t for the life of me think who he was talking about. Without tooting my own horn (toot toot), I’m a geek when it comes to Rangers history and I had honestly never heard of this guy.

I can only imagine what it must’ve been like for this lad leaving a very secluded Iceland and living the dream. He seemed to have a pretty incredible life in and outside of football.

Found this interesting snippet about him : 

In 1948, Albert signed for AC Milan. He broke his knee in a match against Lazio and appeared to be beyond repair. However the team doctor for Milan's rivals Internazionale wanted to perform a surgery on the knee, a risk that Milan was not willing to agree to. Albert then bought out his contract and had the operation, which was a success.

After recovering he returned to France where he played for several clubs before retiring in 1954.

1 minute ago, Don54 said:

Found this interesting snippet about him : 

In 1948, Albert signed for AC Milan. He broke his knee in a match against Lazio and appeared to be beyond repair. However the team doctor for Milan's rivals Internazionale wanted to perform a surgery on the knee, a risk that Milan was not willing to agree to. Albert then bought out his contract and had the operation, which was a success.

After recovering he returned to France where he played for several clubs before retiring in 1954.

The relationship between the two Milan sides is fascinating. You hear so many stories of them helping each other out like that.

This is on a completely unrelated note but the San Siro is known to Inter fans as the Giuseppe Meazza, named after their legendary striker in the 1930s. He scored something like 250 goals in 350 games and was one of football’s first flair players off the pitch a la George Best. He was consistently late and before a Milan derby one season showed up still drunk from the night before. The manager had had it with him and told him he was never playing for the Club again, before realising he had to play him because of injuries to their other strikers. Meazza barely acknowledged his tirade, smoked a cigarette, then went out and scored a hattrick. He nonchantly came back into the dressing room at half time, winked at the manager, and the rest is history.

Anyway, this isn’t an Inter thread but I love that story :lol: 

1 minute ago, Essandoh said:

The relationship between the two Milan sides is fascinating. You hear so many stories of them helping each other out like that.

This is on a completely unrelated note but the San Siro is known to Inter fans as the Giuseppe Meazza, named after their legendary striker in the 1930s. He scored something like 250 goals in 350 games and was one of football’s first flair players off the pitch a la George Best. He was consistently late and before a Milan derby one season showed up still drunk from the night before. The manager had had it with him and told him he was never playing for the Club again, before realising he had to play him because of injuries to their other strikers. Meazza barely acknowledged his tirade, smoked a cigarette, then went out and scored a hattrick. He nonchantly came back into the dressing room at half time, winked at the manager, and the rest is history.

Anyway, this isn’t an Inter thread but I love that story :lol: 

Sure I seen that on a YouTube video,  in an interview he did years after it

image.png.e0ea11c5af0cd14f278187872a3a0e7b.png

18 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Who? Interested to hear more about this one.

Thorolf Beck was born in Reykjavik on January 21, 1940. He died at his home, Rauðarárstígur 5 in Reykjavik, 18 December last year. His parents were Rósbjörg Hulda Magnúsdóttir Beck, b. July 22, 1919, d. December 6, 1981, and Eiríkur Thorolfsson Beck, Stewardess, f. November 17, 1918, d. February 26, 1951. Thorolf had one sister, Guðrún Eiríksdóttir, Beck, f. July 8, 1941. Thorolf had one son, Thorolf Thorolfsson, Beck, f. May 30, 1969 in Reykjavik, a member of Reykjavík Radar Agency, spouse Vilborg Einarsdóttir, their son Olöf Oddný Beck. Thorolf's mother-in-law is Oddný Björgólfsdóttir, f. December 9, 1943 in Reykjavik.

Thorolf grew up with his mother and grandmother, but his father died of accidents when he was eleven years old. He worked at Vikingsprent and worked on the print. Thorolf attracted early attention to the excellent knattle and first played in the championship of KR in 1957, only 17 years old. The following year he was the most important player in the 1st division. Thorolf was a permanent member of Iceland's national team for many years and was the most successful player year after year. Thorolf was a key player in KR-inga and became Iceland's champion in 1959, 1961 and 1968. Thorolf became another Icelandic football professional when he joined the Scottish club St. Mirren in 1961. He was the best player of the year at the club 1962-63 and was among the best players in the Scottish football. In 1964, the Glasgow Rangers bought Thorolf from St. Mirren for the highest amount paid by the club for a football player. Þórólfur played with Rangers for two years but was sold to the French 1st league team Rouen in December 1966. He played for half a year, then went to the United States as he finished the career with St. Louis. Thorolf returned home and became Iceland's Champion with KR 1968 and finished his football career the following year.