Rangers Picture Thread

7 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Funny all four you mention, yes they'd be worth millions each and all 4 were from the late 70's which nicely fits with what I was saying the other day about the Scottish football 'talent pool' drying up around that time.  Contrast those four with the shite we produce now, those four would all be top earners in the EPL today.   

In 1975 Scotland changed the format of our Reserve Leagues which operated from 1890 – 1975, surely the decline after the 70's is more than coincidental a fact alluded to by Kris Boyd fairly recently. Back then reserve football meant you were being 'schooled' for the real thing and playing against men fighting to get back to their respective first-teams, now its Weans vs Wains and everyone gets a participation trophy. 

I think a few things all happened around the same time TBH , The teachers strike of about '78-79 also IMO played a part , as they no longer took to do with schools football outwith the working day in the same way as they previously done , leading to a decline in the number of boys playing regularly , most schools in my area went from having 2-3 teams for each year to be lucky to sustaining 1 due to the lack of adult supervision .

As you say , competitive reserve team football against men who are playing to earn a contract to sustain their living , and boys eager to move up to first team status is more likely to be of benefit to both players and coaches than playing under age football or glorified bounce games .

21 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

I think a few things all happened around the same time TBH , The teachers strike of about '78-79 also IMO played a part , as they no longer took to do with schools football outwith the working day in the same way as they previously done , leading to a decline in the number of boys playing regularly , most schools in my area went from having 2-3 teams for each year to be lucky to sustaining 1 due to the lack of adult supervision .

As you say , competitive reserve team football against men who are playing to earn a contract to sustain their living , and boys eager to move up to first team status is more likely to be of benefit to both players and coaches than playing under age football or glorified bounce games .

TBH mate completely forgot about the important role played by teachers and that part of the decline, very valid point.  

images.jpg.e1301dd85a7b98155291408616705a39.jpg5a84c1a0057e9_QE77.png.3fafeecfa37ba3d8b0a5cfd8b1e3c08b.pngGW715H804.thumb.jpg.264eec2c7c45745b714f68660fc21993.jpg110192-premier-division-rangers-v-hibs-2-0-ibrox-glasgow-freed-beirut-BJGW6N.thumb.jpg.8b1775ef5ad662c27d713105ba6466f4.jpgimages711YVEE1.jpg.f4bcc4ab1043252a3be5c7cd84fc8d54.jpg

Some random stuff 

Top pictures from the Queens Silver Jubilee game at Hampden 1977 , Sandy Jardine scored a penalty kick . Eric Caldow leading out Scotland at Wembley 1961 , Bobby Shearer also there , and Tom Sutherland the Rangers reserve player who was held hostage in Beruit along with Terry Waite and Brian Keenan 

4 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Tin hat on, good call McGrain was a better full-back whereas Jardine was a more versatile player who had spells at RB, midfield, and center-forward.  

Sorry but Jardine was better in my opinion.  Scored far more goals as a right back 67 goals out of a career total of 80 (McGrain only scored 9 in his career).  Jardine played in 200 more games as well.  His early spell before going to RB amounted to less than 10% of his football career.  

4 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Both were top class . When they were in their prime as full backs (72-78 ? )  Do you think that Sandy was the better Right Back or did McGrain play on the left so that Scotland managers could accommodate the 2 of them ? I'm not sure TBH who would've got the nod if the national team had had a natural left back in the same class as those 2 . 

Jardine for me mate, all day long.  Far more productive.  

3 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

That is all very valid.

From that period onwards young boys have also been coached more and I believe it has actually stopped natural talent.  When I was at school  etc, the teacher or whoever took the team, picked a side and that was basically that.  A bit of training during the week but not much more.  Even at amateur level a bit older there was training which centred more on fitness with some ball-work and a bounce game amongst ourselves.  You practiced playing skills yourself or with a few mates elsewhere.  There wasn't the same crap from parents etc at the pitch side either.   

20 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

i gthink that the 10/12 team leagues have a lot to do with this ,how many players scottish top league players have gone on to better thing,man u. liverpool everton spurs  and some more always had a good core of scots,when spurs took 5 of us they had billly brown dave mckay john white  and later gilzean all class players  now they have 1 or 2 but not first choices.no competition in these leagues 4 times is too much a season about  8/10 weeks apart and we go over the same ..

1 hour ago, KingKai said:

Is that a Partick Thistle jersey?

Must be, just checked and he did play for them.

Edited:

Looks like Lord Rosebery's colours.  He was an Earl and former PM.  His family name was Primrose and his horse racing colours were primrose and pink.  I believe he was president of the SFA and Scotland played a few games wearing that strip.   

Edited:  Probably a P Thistle top.  Very similar and the year is more likely to be post-war.  Rosebery was considerably before that time.

41 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

No it is Lord Rosebery's colours.  He was an Earl and former PM.  His family name was Primrose and his horse racing colours were primrose and pink.  I believe he was president of the SFA and Scotland played a few games wearing that strip.   

Beg to differ JCD, think that is a Thistle Jersey.Below is Lord Rosebery Scotland jersey. Notice the badge. Torry did play for the jags.

Not that it matters a shit anyway...LOL

3065.jpg

11 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Rosebery. :thumbup: This is Rosebery Park in The Oatlands named after said Gentleman. Now demolished unfortunately to make way for motorway:tu:

5a85f173434e5_RoseberyParkOatlands.thumb.JPG.838c266ead0d717e72f2a66aa5b4d803.JPG

Might have missed part of this conversation, but who played there?

2 hours ago, KingKai said:
22 hours ago, Don54 said:

ff811f47_o.thumb.jpeg.8a665b91281a8db9be4c8a0ae8d06c43.jpeg

Torry Gillick  wearing  Lord Roseberry's colours.

Is that a Partick Thistle jersey?

Must be, just checked and he did play for them.

That's what I get for taking the pics info at face value, It is a Partick shirt  and on the issue when Scotland last wore  Roseberry's colours it was against France in 1949, with a team featured several Rangers players ( Edit ) some say it was last worn in 1951 others 1954.

1949.thumb.png.a181517d382511cc0211f536c0a23a9f.png