Rangers Picture Thread

8 minutes ago, Callum_Doon said:

Proper pitch as well. :unsure:

Yeah, think it was fairly rustic.

It was where Holyrood Secondary is now. The church and tenements in the background are these ones on Dixon Road...

Screenshot_20181020-184332_Maps.thumb.jpg.971208e6676f5ffc7ce15ccac5135c66.jpg

Thirds played at Old Cathkin before moving to New Cathkin when Queens Park moved from it to what is now Hampden ( Hampden is actually the third stadium to be called Hampden, the second changing it's name to New Cathkin when Thirds moved in).

New Cathkin (formerly the 2nd Hampden) is the one that still exists as a ruin.

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Yeah, think it was fairly rustic.

It was where Holyrood Secondary is now. The church and tenements in the background are these ones on Dixon Road...

Screenshot_20181020-184332_Maps.thumb.jpg.971208e6676f5ffc7ce15ccac5135c66.jpg

Thirds played at Old Cathkin before moving to New Cathkin when Queens Park moved from it to what is now Hampden ( Hampden is actually the third stadium to be called Hampden, the second changing it's name to New Cathkin when Thirds moved in).

New Cathkin (formerly the 2nd Hampden) is the one that still exists as a ruin.

That's really interesting. I remember my uncle taking me to see a game at 'lesser Hampden', which was simply an offshoot of Hampden itself.

2 minutes ago, Callum_Doon said:

That's really interesting. I remember my uncle taking me to see a game at 'lesser Hampden', which was simply an offshoot of Hampden itself.

Yeah, that's still there too. Was spruced up for the Olympics in 2012 IIRC. It's a synthetic pitch now.

6 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Yeah, that's still there too. Was spruced up for the Olympics in 2012 IIRC. It's a synthetic pitch now.

Recollections now... my uncle was Billy Vandermotten and he played for Third Lanark.

I know he had three caps playing for 'Scotland Juniors' (would that be right?), as he showed them to me!

Aye, 'lesser Hampden', from what I recall so many years ago it was essentially just a 'park pitch'!  ?

7 minutes ago, Callum_Doon said:

Recollections now... my uncle was Billy Vandermotten and he played for Third Lanark.

I know he had three caps playing for 'Scotland Juniors' (would that be right?), as he showed them to me!

Aye, 'lesser Hampden', from what I recall so many years ago it was essentially just a 'park pitch'!  ?

Yup, he played for the Scottish Juniors side. Scroll down in this link to see his appearance against Ireland whilst he was at Renfrew Juniors...

https://www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/sport/football/cup-of-cheer-for-celts-999102

Also...

http://www.scottishleague.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5181

Seems he was an inside forward. He was from Gorbals of Dutch extraction.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

Yup, he played for the Scottish Juniors side. Scroll down in this link to see his appearance against Ireland whilst he was at Renfrew Juniors...

https://www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/sport/football/cup-of-cheer-for-celts-999102

Also...

http://www.scottishleague.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5181

Seems he was an inside forward. He was from Gorbals of Dutch extraction.

See if you've done what I think you have here... I'll come back and look at those links later - you have to be kidding mate...

It was always a family joke there was no known Dutch ancestry on Billy's side!  And, aye, pure Gorbals born and bred;

I don't know what in earth you have found and I'll leave that until I'm Ready. :wow: