Rangers Picture Thread

24 minutes ago, Callum_Doon said:

I don't have any background info about this...?

7e7809e5dcaa5faa526ca90d81e75763.jpg

Laudrup, pictured pre-match (below) with Numan and Albertz In a friendly V Clyde, The object of the exercise was to cajole a strong Rangers team 90 minutes closer to the level of fitness required to overcome FBK Kaunas in next week's Champions League second qualifying round first leg. Laudrup, Numan and Albertz turned out for Clyde. Nacho Novo scored the only goal in a 1-0 win 

article-1037414-020A9B1900000578-18_468x262.jpg.222132ee11e69666bb0b36b92f3ebf27b.jpg.56c1295260e837f616f7cdb6ebe719b5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Don54 said:

Laudrup, pictured pre-match (below) with Numan and Albertz In a friendly V Clyde, The object of the exercise was to cajole a strong Rangers team 90 minutes closer to the level of fitness required to overcome FBK Kaunas in next week's Champions League second qualifying round first leg. Laudrup, Numan and Albertz turned out for Clyde. Nacho Novo scored the only goal in a 1-0 win 

Interesting. They look a bit older from what I remember so assumed it was from a charity legends match or something.

5 minutes ago, Don54 said:

article-1037414-020A9B1900000578-18_468x262.jpg.222132ee11e69666bb0b36b92f3ebf27b.jpg.56c1295260e837f616f7cdb6ebe719b5.jpg

Which would presumably explain the 'unusual' strip! You are an encyclopedia of Rangers lore!

3 hours ago, Don54 said:

I came across this

At a meeting in 1895, "All the competitors in the heavy events at Ibrox on Saturday hail originally from the north of Scotland.

Since many of the most famous field athletes were not only Highianders but also officers in local police forces, their presence gave a certain air of respectability to the proceedings

which appealed not only to Glasgow's establishment but also to the lower middle classes and members of the labour aristocracy.

Sometimes, however, cultural clashes were deliberately
encouraged to promote commercial interest. In 1894 the
Govan Police Sports was held at Ibrox. In order to provide
a financially attractive ethnic clash, one of the
five police teams involved in an inter-city tug-of-war
contest came from Dublin. It was opposed by a Govan Police
team dressed in Rangers F.C.'s colours.

Very interesting information that surprised me.

The sporting events seems to be a side of our club;s history that has been neglected. Would love to find out more about it, as it seems back then Ibrox was the heart of the community.

2 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Very interesting information that surprised me.

The sporting events seems to be a side of our club;s history that has been neglected. Would love to find out more about it, as it seems back then Ibrox was the heart of the community.

Likewise... it would surely have been rare for a helicopter to have been charted for such an event in 1959... good grief, how much would that have cost the 'Daily Express', as attributed and what was in it for them?

There surely has to be more to this whole story.

2 minutes ago, Callum_Doon said:

Likewise... it would surely have been rare for a helicopter to have been charted for such an event in 1959... good grief, how much would that have cost the 'Daily Express', as attributed and what was in it for them?

There surely has to be more to this whole story.

Agreed, It would be good if our club historians could look into this side of our history as it show the club as being the heart of the community.

23 hours ago, Callum_Doon said:

So... who were our first official strip manufacturers?

What was the first logo to be worn on the shirt?

CR Smith.  I didn't like the fact they sponsored the other lot as well as us so I bought a top without the sponsor on it.  You could do that back then.