Rangers Picture Thread

13 hours ago, GlasgowsBlue said:

Partizan Belgrade flag on Thursday night vs Manchester United. I've never noticed this version of their badge before

IMG_0437.PNG

It's a fan made crest - nothing official. Basically our crest with the R turned into a P. 

The BGD at the bottom just means Belgrade.

I used to go out with someone who came from a  Partizan family.

On 19/10/2019 at 14:30, Don54 said:

I'm sure you're right  that he was  exchanged for  Dave Wilson  and Wilson Woods despite Persson  maintaining that he was a free agent,     

Persson would make his unofficial debut, in a glamorous pre- season friendly v Eintracht Frankfurt at Ibrox before a crowd of 60,000. Persson came on as a substitute (replacing Willie Johnston) and scored Rangers fifth goal in an impressive 5-3 victory.

Three days later on Aug 12th, Persson made his official debut in a League Cup tie at Pittodrie, scoring Rangers goal in a 1-1 draw

He made his official home debut the following Wednesday night in a rousing 1-1 draw v celtic, in the League Cup at Ibrox in front of a staggering 94,168 paying fans.

Just over a month later, in the first Old Firm League game of the season, Persson became an overnight hero, when after a three game absence, he was reinstated and repaid his selection gloriously, scoring a wonder goal against the European Champions, in a 1-0 win for Rangers in front of 90,000 fans at Ibrox. 'Latching onto a clever lob from McKinnon, Persson went on a devastating 30 yard run (right to left) beating four celtic defenders, (Gemmell being two of them), before crashing in an unstoppable shot from what seemed like an impossible angle.' Oh how we loved him.

I remember both games.  Penman missed a penalty in the first league cup tie but scored a late equaliser.  It was midweek.  The Persson goal was great.  I was in the crowd under the old "cow shed" and saw it from the opposite of the camera angle.  It looked even better from where I was.

This is a fantastic thread, and it fair brings back the memories. I remember Orjan Persson well, and when I was a young lad, he was a hero of mine. I am sure he scored at least a couple of times, direct from a corner. Thank you to the many posters on here      sharing your memories. Greatly appreciated.👍

On 26/10/2019 at 18:05, thedarvelmarvel said:

was he not part of the colin stein transfer?

According to this he was.

Yet just a few months later he was on his way out of Ibrox. Jock Wallace took over first team responsibilities from Willie Waddell for 1972-73 and was determined to instil more discipline at the club by moving on both Stein and Willie Johnston. Talented as these players were, Wallace didn’t want his selections being affected by suspensions. With the emergence of Derek Johnstone at centre-forward he felt able to let Stein go. The value of the fee was £140,000 represented by a £90,000 payment and the valuation of ‘Cutty’ Young at £50,000. Young left Coventry as part of the deal. He was the replacement for Johnston.