Nations League

Siam69

6 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

Still better than friendlies, which it is supposed to replace. 

Im looking forward to this as it gives countries like the Faroes more evenly matched teams to play against. 

So a pretty much meaningless game is more attractive than a glamour friendly against one of the top sides? the games in sections B and C are utterly meaningless 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

So a pretty much meaningless game is more attractive than a glamour friendly against one of the top sides? the games in sections B and C are utterly meaningless 

These games are not completely meaningless as they are a much more realistic way to qualify for us.. I would take that over a friendly any day.. we had a couple of glamour games in Portugal and they destroyed us twice... I would rather prefer a win against Latvia than being raped by Ronaldo.

Just now, johanhentze said:

These games are not completely meaningless as they are a much more realistic way to qualify for us.. I would take that over a friendly any day.. we had a couple of glamour games in Portugal and they destroyed us twice... I would rather prefer a win against Latvia than being raped by Ronaldo.

Yes for the bottom sixteen ranked teams it's a chance for qualification,but for sections B and C it's meaningless can't see many tickets being sold for these games tbh,at least in international friendlies against top going to watch top players was a draw and put bums on seats.

2 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Yes for the bottom sixteen ranked teams it's a chance for qualification,but for sections B and C it's meaningless can't see many tickets being sold for these games tbh,at least in international friendlies against top going to watch top players was a draw and put bums on seats.

Quite possibly.. 

In our case, the Faroes, we never get glamour friendlies as it just costs too much and we would probably get hammered.

This is also a good way to build up the coefficient points as you are in groups of similarly ranked teams. 

1 hour ago, johanhentze said:

Quite possibly.. 

In our case, the Faroes, we never get glamour friendlies as it just costs too much and we would probably get hammered.

This is also a good way to build up the coefficient points as you are in groups of similarly ranked teams. 

Yes it's definitely a good thing for smaller nations although it's not really fair that they've been given an easier route for qualification,imo teams should qualify on merit and the best 24 sides should go to Euros,not lesser nations because they've been given an easier route.

Yes it's definitely a good thing for smaller nations although it's not really fair that they've been given an easier route for qualification,imo teams should qualify on merit and the best 24 sides should go to Euros,not lesser nations because they've been given an easier route.

I can see what you are saying, but it makes it easier for everyone - including Scotland - as everyone will be playing similarly ranked nations. 

3 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

I can see what you are saying, but it makes it easier for everyone - including Scotland - as everyone will be playing similarly ranked nations. 

As far as I can make it out there's no qualification places for winners from groups B and C for some bizarre reason that's why I was saying the games are meaningless,even if you do somehow get promoted to league A after a while what chance do you realistically have against the top 12 sides in Europe who are playing for 4 places,it's a mental set up like something the SFA would dream up.

As far as I can make it out there's no qualification places for winners from groups B and C for some bizarre reason that's why I was saying the games are meaningless,even if you do somehow get promoted to league A after a while what chance do you realistically have against the top 12 sides in Europe who are playing for 4 places,it's a mental set up like something the SFA would dream up.

Hmm... I thought it was the same for the middle groups? Might be wrong...it is quite complicated it seems :lol: 

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Siam69 said:

Surely to fuck Scotland can win those two games?

We're up next, get the Mexicans from over the border. 

Bosnia and Austria, hard enough, but could've been a lot worse.  

Taigs got their favorite, Denmark and Wales. 

20 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

I'm struggling to find any enthusiasm for this at all.

International football quality is generally rubbish compared to champions league, la Liga, serie a etc etc. And I hate weekends that the famous aren't playing, totally pointless!

At least it makes the completely pointless friendlies competitive. Also.. you draw teams that are round about your own standard which means its closer than when you play a top seed.

27 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

At least it makes the completely pointless friendlies competitive. Also.. you draw teams that are round about your own standard which means its closer than when you play a top seed.

I can see what they're trying to do and it should be applauded that attempts are being made to improve the international scene but I find the standard is generally poor compared to other offerings. 

It probably doesn't help that I have no love for the Scottish team.