Nations League

Siam69

5 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

I can see what they're trying to do and it should be applauded that attempts are being made to improve the international scene but I find the standard is generally poor compared to other offerings. 

It probably doesn't help that I have no love for the Scottish team.

That will be the core reason, of course. 

They are trying to do something and I am looking forward to it.. it gives a small nation like ourselves a real chance in every game. It will improve our game, in my opinion.. Tactically we will now set out to try and control games rather than hopefully get something out of the game. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

That will be the core reason, of course. 

They are trying to do something and I am looking forward to it.. it gives a small nation like ourselves a real chance in every game. It will improve our game, in my opinion.. Tactically we will now set out to try and control games rather than hopefully get something out of the game. 

I hope it works. Good luck to you and enjoy whatever trips you do. I'm sure it'll be fun.

30 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

What is the point of this? Does it have any bearings on qualification for the world cup and euros or does it just replace friendlies?

It does both, as it replaces many of the dates for friendlies in the calendar it adds element of control to who you play during those dates and therefore attempts to avoid FIFA ranking manipulation (i.e. deliberately playing lower ranked teams in the dates leading up to qualifier draws to protect ranking points, you have to play teams in or around your ranking level)...although given it is a UEFA only thing, clearly all other countries can continue to manipulate their rankings via friendlies!

There are qualification places up for grabs and guarantees at least one nation from each of the 4 tiers will qualify. This may very well be Scotland's best hope to qualify and certainly is Faroe's as I'm sure @johanhentze will attest to!

7 minutes ago, nelsonRFC82 said:

It does both, as it replaces many of the dates for friendlies in the calendar it adds element of control to who you play during those dates and therefore attempts to avoid FIFA ranking manipulation (i.e. deliberately playing lower ranked teams in the dates leading up to qualifier draws to protect ranking points, you have to play teams in or around your ranking level)...although given it is a UEFA only thing, clearly all other countries can continue to manipulate their rankings via friendlies!

There are qualification places up for grabs and guarantees at least one nation from each of the 4 tiers will qualify. This may very well be Scotland's best hope to qualify and certainly is Faroe's as I'm sure @johanhentze will attest to!

Absolutely. I, for one, am excited about this.. as long as this isnt the start of the phasing out of smaller nations from the qualifiers.

Just now, johanhentze said:

Absolutely. I, for one, am excited about this.. as long as this isnt the start of the phasing out of smaller nations from the qualifiers.

I don't think this is the start of it at all, it has probably already begun. Once they enforced seeding in every single draw (you even get seeding in play-offs FFS...they can't even acknowledge 8 teams who all finished runners-up in qualifying groups as equals), then they were working towards their ideal closed shop. Case in point would be UCL. A two-tier qualifier system is probably not that far away.

23 minutes ago, nelsonRFC82 said:

I don't think this is the start of it at all, it has probably already begun. Once they enforced seeding in every single draw (you even get seeding in play-offs FFS...they can't even acknowledge 8 teams who all finished runners-up in qualifying groups as equals), then they were working towards their ideal closed shop. Case in point would be UCL. A two-tier qualifier system is probably not that far away.

Bastards. :angrywillie:

Great idea, unusual from UEFA. Scotland have been their own worst enemy when it comes to friendlies, which have been part of the co-effiecent ranking for 15 years or so. Picking ridiculous games against France and Germany etc, which they lose and sink further down the rankings. Whilst other sides, eg NI, have delibratley chosen sides which they believe they can get a result against to drag the ranking up. Also, this will stop the club mentality of pulling players out, because it is "just a friendly". I enjoy international football, so will be looking forward to this new format. There is also plans to introduce this for world cup qualification - perhaps with play offs against other confiderations.

9 hours ago, DW1872 said:

I can see what they're trying to do and it should be applauded that attempts are being made to improve the international scene but I find the standard is generally poor compared to other offerings. 

It probably doesn't help that I have no love for the Scottish team.

I don't buy that cliché that international games are poor standards, it's not inherently unique to the national games - a quick glance through most league calenders, Europa League and indeed the CL offers up the same issues. That said, the past couple of Euros and WC haven't exactly been classics compared to the past, but this obviously a tactical shift that you see throughout Europe thesedays.

16 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Great idea, unusual from UEFA. Scotland have been their own worst enemy when it comes to friendlies, which have been part of the co-effiecent ranking for 15 years or so. Picking ridiculous games against France and Germany etc, which they lose and sink further down the rankings. Whilst other sides, eg NI, have delibratley chosen sides which they believe they can get a result against to drag the ranking up. Also, this will stop the club mentality of pulling players out, because it is "just a friendly". I enjoy international football, so will be looking forward to this new format. There is also plans to introduce this for world cup qualification - perhaps with play offs against other confiderations.

This is also an attempt to stop some countries picking teams of a lower standard for friendlies in order to better their rankings.

8 hours ago, johanhentze said:

This is also an attempt to stop some countries picking teams of a lower standard for friendlies in order to better their rankings.

That would hinder NI, I think. If you look at the list of previous friendlies in the run up to seeding based on Euro 2016 and respective friendlies for example. Obviously they had a great run in the competition, and that has lead to their current high seeding in the main. However, barring the Uruguay and Chile results, their friendly choices certainly have aided their ranking. Can't blame them, wish the SFA had the obvious foresight to employ that tactic, but I guess we all know that they are clueless in all aspects of the national game.

Screenshot_2018-01-25-21-32-06.jpg