Anybody else miss the old Ibrox?

Thermopylae

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Absolutely miss it, best time of my life standing on that terracing.

51 minutes ago, ZZed said:

My dad took me to 1971 January game against septic, 85,000 that,s when Ibrox was at it's best.

Mine was St Johnstone at the end of the 75 season when we buried Stein's 10 in a row :Fod:

57 minutes ago, delamonty said:

Earliest memories I have.. Lifted over the turnstiles by my old man. :tu:

One game v Hibs they were clamping down on lifting kids over the turnstiles. My old man was told he couldnt lift me so he went in and told me to go to the boys gate. As I got to the front of the queue they shut the gates. Got locked out and had to stand outside until the game was over. We won 3-0 or 3-1 I think. 80,000+ at that game.

Late 60's, European nights and some Saturdays, parking up on Helen Street and walking down to the game with my dad,  the atmosphere and crowds building all the way to the stadium.

1972 ECWC semi-final was a night that I actually felt the whole stadium shake, it was before we bounced!!  The cacophony of sound that evening and the buzz cannot adequately be put into words, certainly not by me, but it was the best I can remember and that is out of hundreds of visits.  

We were in 'the Derry' at the corner of the old centenary stand, good memories but times move on and those days will never return and nor will the days when Glasgow had two >100k stadiums and one capable of >90k, changed days indeed.  

First game sat in the centenary stand against Aberdeen , a 1-0 win a late penalty by Alex Miller .Just under 19000 there, but as an 11 year old my"" memory was Arthur Graham was on the touchline and  a fan shout "HAW GRAHAM YOU MITHERS A NUN" 

Used to think Ibrox was huge but compare to today it dwarfs the old one as it's about twice the height . Think the back seat copland/broom is closer than the front standing behind the goals at old Ibrox