Anybody else miss the old Ibrox?

Thermopylae

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in '72 against Bayern Willie Johnstone  gets the ball out wide next to where we were standing in the choir,  waits for the defender to come in then kicks the ball of him for a throw in to us. Willie turns towards us, cups his tit and points towards the defender, you don't get that these days..

2 hours ago, BlueAvenger said:

I miss the half time score boards !!!!

Of course when it was pouring of rain the scum used to get soaked........

Miss 40 folk gathered round one transistor radio cause we never trusted the scoreboards back in the day when everyone had a tranny and gay meant happy.

Mentioned in a previous thread ages ago...

Ma Da took me my first game in the stand at 5 years old.

During it, he asked me how I liked it? 

I told him is it wis no' bad.

And you could see he was a bit disappointed by my response.

So he said, 'where would you rather be, then?

I said, ' doon therr,' pointing at the middle of the Copland Rd end that was going ballistic.

He said I was too wee, adding ma maw wouldn't let him because it was too dangerous.

After that, he assured her we were never in the Copland - forgetting to mention we were in the terracing doon in Davy Wilson's corner bordering the Copland :) (my claim to fame being the front page photo of Rangers programme for the Real Madrid match)

Truly feel sorry for the new generations of Bears who have never experienced the uncontrolled mayhem when the old Ibrox was full and exploding in delirious pandemonium .

Went to the Indy 500 with 500,000 in the stadium - it was a like a morgue compared to the Old Ibrox. 

Nothing like it!

Older friend of mine recalls a game in deep mid winter V Alloa or something, sparse crowd pure freezin and there was a wee fire lit at the Derry shed using boxes from  crisps,  flags sticks and anything else that might burn.

33 minutes ago, standup said:

Older friend of mine recalls a game in deep mid winter V Alloa or something, sparse crowd pure freezin and there was a wee fire lit at the Derry shed using boxes from  crisps,  flags sticks and anything else that might burn.

Happened every other week back then M8, burn whatever we could get our hands on.  Remember burning a pie with so much fat, the fire lasted for the whole game. 

Just looking at the old pic in the first post I can see the pole at the centre line where I was sent to stand and had to wait on my dad and grandpa after the match, the blue three wheeled invalid cars used to be lined up in front of the terracing.

I wasn't allowed to go to a celtic match until I was a wee bit older, but my grandparents still stayed in Merryland St. after we moved, and I used to walk up to the park just before half time when they opened the big  gates in Cairnlea Dr. to let some guys out for a drink, and if you were fast enough you could run through the guys coming out and get in , either that or wait until twenty minutes from the end when they would open the gates to let people out.

I'd be up before a children's panel for doing that now, with some do-gooder in a woollen rainbow coloured knitted jumper and a pair of Doc Martins telling everyone it would leave memories  lasting into adulthood ,.... it has, great ones.

15 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Sitting at football should be banned.

As a young boy in amongst 85k standing bears, was like being at one with the club. Literally - at one 

miss that tremendously 

think how close some celtic fans felt to their club back in those days