Anybody else miss the old Ibrox?

Thermopylae

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember standing in the Rangers end behind the goal in the  70s, playing some shite like StJohnstone I front of about 18k and the game would be so poor that sporadic fights would break out among our own with shouts of “Toonheed Derry ya bass!” Or “ Possil ya bass!”

Nuts

7 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I heard the biggest danger in those days was a rival scheme spotting you at a game, and that there used to be running battles between gangs in the terraces with everyone giving it "your tea's oot!" and "mon ya bas" etc etc

Beat me to it sir

Remember a game in the late 60's on a blustery day when Gerry Neef was in goals at the Rangers end and all the action was up at the other end.

He could have been up beside us on the terracing for all he had to do that day.

A gust of wind blew an empty cardboard crisp box onto the pitch and it headed towards the Rangers goal. Just as it reached the six yard box another gust lifted it up towards the top corner of the goal and Neef who had nothing to do all day dived to the corner and tipped it over the bar. Them were the days.

Also remember the guy with a large egg box tied round his neck with string selling rolls on cheese or ham and who from that era will ever forget the " there's yer spearamint chewing gum and your macaroon bars".

3 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I heard the biggest danger in those days was a rival scheme spotting you at a game, and that there used to be running battles between gangs in the terraces with everyone giving it "your tea's oot!" and "mon ya bas" etc etc

We used to have a ferocious reputation the one I remember was taking the the stretford end but there were others. Although there was a lot of violence attached to football at that time I sometimes wonder if losing 66 of our own didn't brutalise us more than the rest? 

3 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

Ahhh. the good old days.:lol:

1 hour ago, Thermopylae said:

We used to have a ferocious reputation the one I remember was taking the the stretford end but there were others. Although there was a lot of violence attached to football at that time I sometimes wonder if losing 66 of our own didn't brutalise us further? 

aye I've heard we had a reputation for being the most mental support in Britain if not Europe, even before the whole casual/hooligan culture emerged, we'd just take over entire towns, I've heard about us taking the Stretford End and the controversy it caused 

1 hour ago, Thermopylae said:

We used to have a ferocious reputation the one I remember was taking the the stretford end but there were others. Although there was a lot of violence attached to football at that time I sometimes wonder if losing 66 of our own didn't brutalise us more than the rest? 

Stretford End -- now that was a fun day out.   Manchester evening paper, a pink one, noted 'the Rangers End made the Stretford End look like a Sunday school picnic."   There were Bears in the corner beside the Stretford end separated from United fans by a metal fence.   United fans, brave behind the fence were giving it "come on then".  At that, some bears started lobbing bottles at the fence showering the United wannabe hardmen with broken glass.  

Later during the game, which we won, some United fans ran the length of the pitch to goad the bears, they ran back much, much faster.   

Just now, siddiqi_drinker said:

Stretford End -- now that was a fun day out.   Manchester evening paper, a pink one, noted 'the Rangers End made the Stretford End look like a Sunday school picnic."   There were Bears in the corner beside the Stretford end separated from United fans by a metal fence.   United fans, brave behind the fence were giving it "come on then".  At that, some bears started lobbing bottles at the fence showering the United wannabe hardmen with broken glass.  

Later during the game, which we won, some United fans ran the length of the pitch to goad the bears, they ran back much, much faster.   

was this in Europe? I'm assuming it wasn't a friendly :lol:

1 hour ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Then there was Villa. I was there scary shit at times.

scariest I've been at was Osasuna away, first away trip to Europe, my old boy took me for my 18th birthday with his mate, we got separated going into the ground and he had the tickets which were for the Osasuna end, I went into the Rangers end, 5 minutes later the big bastard Spanish polis start battering lumps out of folk and  im diving over seats even tho I was a few yards away but no way was I getting skelped cause I knew my Dad would say it was my fault :lol: made it out ok, cracking night in a wee dive of a pub where I learned many a song for the first time

3 hours ago, Brackley said:

Also remember the guy with a large egg box tied round his neck with string selling rolls on cheese or ham and who from that era will ever forget the " there's yer spearamint chewing gum and your macaroon bars".

Aye , and he would sit the box down on the terracing while looking for the last chopped pork roll , not bothering that it was soaking wet from the rain or the pish  :lol:  Health & safety would've had a field day !

14 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

scariest I've been at was Osasuna away, first away trip to Europe, my old boy took me for my 18th birthday with his mate, we got separated going into the ground and he had the tickets which were for the Osasuna end, I went into the Rangers end, 5 minutes later the big bastard Spanish polis start battering lumps out of folk and  im diving over seats even tho I was a few yards away but no way was I getting skelped cause I knew my Dad would say it was my fault :lol: made it out ok, cracking night in a wee dive of a pub where I learned many a song for the first time

You had to be on your toes in the 70s. Drink was still allowed in the ground and if Rangers went a goal or two down a hail of bottles would rain down on the poor unfortunates at the bottom of the terrace. Didn’t happen all the time don’t get me wrong but when it did you were shitting it. You saw a few of the young ones wearing builders helmets to the game. Great idea I thought, looked cool with players names written on them. Cool and safe, win win.

remember it well .only 4 gates at the copeland rd end you had to go into a fenced off area and wait to pay 7p...3p todays money if you got in you could transfer to the enclosure for 1/- 5 p  and there was no cut price for kids,,,1/3 for adults     8p total  for us and that was 1950,s

6 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

You had to be on your toes in the 70s. Drink was still allowed in the ground and if Rangers went a goal or two down a hail of bottles would rain down on the poor unfortunates at the bottom of the terrace. Didn’t happen all the time don’t get me wrong but when it did you were shitting it. You saw a few of the young ones wearing builders helmets to the game. Great idea I thought, looked cool with players names written on them. Cool and safe, win win.

my 12 y.old son got hold of mine from my time at b.t.covered it was all the players and club badges,one day ther boss said he was doing a tools check and asked wheres you r hard hat which i produced much to my amazement he burst out laughing it was the first time i knew he was one of us, but i had to get a new hat as it was not bt standard issue.

15 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

my uncle never liked football but used to go to Ibrox every other Saturday with my Dad and Granda just for the swally :lol: aye the helmets were class with all the stickers etc. I'd give my left baw to see Ibrox in them days. my old boy said they'd walk in with 24 cans and a quarter bottle each and no one would bat an eye. To the point that polis would help legless folk into the stadium :lol:

love these old stories keep them coming guys 

16 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

my uncle never liked football but used to go to Ibrox every other Saturday with my Dad and Granda just for the swally :lol: aye the helmets were class with all the stickers etc. I'd give my left baw to see Ibrox in them days. my old boy said they'd walk in with 24 cans and a quarter bottle each and no one would bat an eye. To the point that polis would help legless folk into the stadium :lol:

love these old stories keep them coming guys 

The bit about the coppers helping you in is 100% true. Mate was steaming and me and another boy were either side of him helping him get to turnstile. Copper who was always stood at turnstile looked at us and said, you need a hand with him lads. Boy spent the entire match sat on the terrace sleeping.

Ps - he never missed much we were fuckin pish that day, ha

17 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

The bit about the coppers helping you in is 100% true. Mate was steaming and me and another boy were either side of him helping him get to turnstile. Copper who was always stood at turnstile looked at us and said, you need a hand with him lads. Boy spent the entire match sat on the terrace sleeping.

back when all the polis were orangemen eh ;)