Anybody else miss the old Ibrox?

Thermopylae

Just now, With Heart and Hand said:

back when all the polis were orangemen eh ;)

Not sure about that mate , but when we played at the old piggery , the polis would turn a blind eye to guys doubling up with tickets or jumping the turnstiles . Heard one say one time that they would rather have all the nutters inside where they could see them than wandering about the streets ,made it easier for them . Different days !

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

back when all the polis were orangemen eh ;)

My two unlcles were coppers , masons, One of them chucked it as he was attacked by 3 guys and took a bit of a beating one night. The other one done 25 yrs and is retired now. Both still big Rangers men and always tell me about when they were both in Barcelona for the Final. Both the cunts were on the pitch at end. Fuckin hooligans. Ha

I remember going to Ibrox 1965 age 12 used to go up for my mates about twelve they're maw was ironing there scarfs got the 41 from easterhouse to Buchanan Street got the subway walked up edminston drive atmosphere was electric everybody singing got a lift over it was s brilliant feeling

Brought back a lot of memories from the 1950's and 1960's - still remember how solid Bobby Shearer always looked in the blue and I never thought that any shot would beat Billy Ritchie.  Don Kichenbrand was an early hero.  Smell of Bovril, lots of police horses at games, wee blue invalid cars and I'm sure that I've actually seen steam rising off players as they headed off at half-time or full-time.  Come to think of it, I've seen a good few world class players grace the Ibrox turf.  And the songs too which have changed in some cases.  Sadly, too many hangovers and drink-inflamed passion from me too.  But I celebrated 39 years of clean and sober living yesterday.    

18 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I heard the biggest danger in those days was a rival scheme spotting you at a game, and that there used to be running battles between gangs in the terraces with everyone giving it "your tea's oot!" and "mon ya bas" etc etc

Running battles between rival gangs were nothing compared to the dangers of jumping across and navigating the overflowing rivers of pish from the lavvies, and those not bothering to use the lavvy.

25 minutes ago, baxterboy said:

Running battles between rival gangs were nothing compared to the dangers of jumping across and navigating the overflowing rivers of pish from the lavvies, and those not bothering to use the lavvy.

Not when you had “Penny” at hand to help out with that pish 

D91D73FC-8AFC-4068-93C9-E27D8AAE345D.thumb.jpeg.108da065410dfe1409bc11b6774a857f.jpeg

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

Not when you had “Penny” at hand to help out with that pish 

D91D73FC-8AFC-4068-93C9-E27D8AAE345D.thumb.jpeg.108da065410dfe1409bc11b6774a857f.jpeg

So you were one of the bastards who wis throwin' those cans full of pish we had to dodge doon at the front when a goal went in against us!! 

19 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I heard the biggest danger in those days was a rival scheme spotting you at a game, and that there used to be running battles between gangs in the terraces with everyone giving it "your tea's oot!" and "mon ya bas" etc etc

My old man told me the biggest gang fight he ever saw at Ibrox was in the celtic end at an Old Firm in the late 60s / early 70s. A big gap opened up in the celtic end.

He was obviously in the Rangers end and everyone was like wtf is going on, when he got back home he saw one of the celtic guys who lived in his street and asked him what happened and he told him. Cumbie v Tongs I think and someone pulled a blade.

Found this pic a while back but not sure if this is definitely it:

f4390cadc5b29a50c3444f8ece70a255--old-fi

14 hours ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

You had to be on your toes in the 70s. Drink was still allowed in the ground and if Rangers went a goal or two down a hail of bottles would rain down on the poor unfortunates at the bottom of the terrace. Didn’t happen all the time don’t get me wrong but when it did you were shitting it. You saw a few of the young ones wearing builders helmets to the game. Great idea I thought, looked cool with players names written on them. Cool and safe, win win.

There's a great photo of, I think it is, the 92 Scottish Cup Final where someone has given one to the players along with the usual scarfs and I think Mark Hateley may be wearing it. Got EAST BELFAST written on the side :lol:

Found it :lol:

090592-tennents-scottish-cup-final-airdr

I reckon we should bring them back for one game, like the LC Final this season maybe, only 5 quid: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackrock-7000700-Point-Safety-Helmet/dp/B0052LMK8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507881697&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+hard+hat 

Chipmonk crisps. The old guy who carried the board around the track at half time with the winning programme numbers on it. Just the smell of the place was different to, to what it is now.

Seem to remember that the back of the centenary stand was open as i remember looking up and see folk looking down? Is that right? Would have been about late seventies early eighties.

Fuck yer politically correct police, the east enclosure for a big match was as atmospheric as it gets, no seats, no bother. "Can you hear the Copeland sing, nooooo, nooooo".  What a buzz.  Bouncing amongst yer own back when almost every fan has a scarf.  The sight of the helicopter wae the scarves in full flight is burned into my memory forever.

Always remember seeing the players warm up in the inside running track behind the east enclosure underneath the main stand. Cooper, Bobby Russell, etal.... that was when we had a simple blue top, nowt fancy, just a crest upon the chest. I'll forever be grateful to my old boy for gifting me a life long love of the teddy bears.

oh the romance of being stood on those terraces the whole place swaying to whatever song you wanted. then some guy behind you trying to piss into a can he had just emptied and missing getting the back of yer legs or being a few rows in front when some plonker lobbed the can of piss landing on yer nut or shoulder deep joy. lost count of the times the gf told me I stunk of piss and telling her it was a small price to pay for being on the slopes of ibrox park. then afterwards heading down to big kia,s on the govan rd till about 7 for a right sash bash with some old guy on the piano.those were the days sadly they will never return. not politically correct don't you know

2 hours ago, roboscot said:

My Da has the program from John Greig’s testimonial. I think I might have been taken along, a week before my second birthday. 

My early memories are of the new stadium and the colourful seats. 

when were the blue seats put in? I'm sure i can remember the coloured seats but I started going to games about 92 or 93

My old man took me to watch Rangers v Ayr Utd  around about 69. Was 9 at the time. Anyway, we were standing in the Derry, which became the Centenary stand and is now the Govan. Half an hour in to the game and someone from further back threw what appeared to be half a greasy pie and it skelped my old man on the back of the kneck. He was fuckin ragin, turned and shouted “who the fuck was that, ya fuckin arsehole ye?” Some cunt shouts back, “shut the fuck up ya dick” haha

iI was afraid to speak to my old man for about an hour after that but as the years have went by I’ve related the story to everyone. Even my old mum found it amusing.