Tavernier.

Clemdog

3 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Credit to him tonight, but he remains one of our weakest links.

It's alright doing his bit against shite, but let me know when he puts on a decent defensive performance agianst the scum.  He needs to get his defensive game sorted. Until then, not good enough

As for "brilliant", some need to get of the crack pipe ffs.

Overall, we are in a much better place than last season. Good team performance and a 3 goal win away from, all day fucking long!

In the context of this league, St Johnstone certainly aren’t “the shite”. They’ve consistently been the 4th or 5th best team for years now, with a fairly settled team and style of play. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

Looks to have really settled now he has a decent centre pairing behind him and candaies in front of him. His crosses have been top notch.

Bang on. Imagine being stitched up by McKay in front of you and whatever shitey centre back pairing we had under Warburton. It can't have been easy for Tav. Can't even remember who that was (CB Pairing) - My memory has been erased it was that painful. Traumatic.

9 hours ago, ben51 said:

Proved tonight how important he is to Rangers.

Receives a lot of grief due to his defensive capabilities, which I accept to an extent. But quite often he can be very solid and offensively is very important.

Two fantastic assists tonight and his relationship with Candeias is strengthening a previous weakness. I'm sure he can keep it up. 

It has to be said that Candeias works hard on the defensive side if his game and that help make them a good partnership. 

Ive always liked Tav, he's a modern day attacking full back so of course there's times where he might be caught out of position but he's instructed to overlap so that's going to happen sometimes apart from that I think he's reasonably solid defensively and brilliant going forward, great crossing and passing and again this season is one of our most creative players.

Always supported him - except during an OF game last season when I said he was shite. 

Obvious credit where its due... but last night we actually had players in the box when crosses came in. Even this wasnt happening at start of season and Tav had no target to aim at.

I've said this in previous posts but it's worth repeating - We need two hard working wide players in front of the full-backs who can cover for them defensively when they do get forward.  Candeias is putting in the defensive shift over on the right and we can see how that is benefitting Tavernier.  We need someone to do the same thing for Wallace over on the left and I think young Declan John will be the one who will provide that.

Last season our two full-backs, Wallace and Tavernier, had a hand in 25% of all our league goals:

Wallace: 5 assists and 3 goals.

Tavernier: 5 assists and 1 goal.

I've checked out this seasons stats and they're making a similar contribution.  So far we've scored 20 league goals:

Wallace: 1 assist and 0 goals.

Declan John 0 Assists and 2 goals.

Tavernier: 4 assists and 1 goal.

On 13/10/2017 at 21:53, ben51 said:

Receives a lot of grief due to his defensive capabilities, which I accept to an extent. But quite often he can be very solid and offensively is very important.

Two fantastic assists tonight and his relationship with Candeias is strengthening a previous weakness. I'm sure he can keep it up. 

I'd like to see him play in a more advanced role ahead of a back three.

On 13 October 2017 at 22:35, ben51 said:

So we'll ignore his assist against the scum last Season. 

Also, his solid defensive and offensive performance against them in the 1-1 game. (More to shout about against them than most, but I agree not enough).

But really on topic, this thread was more about his performances this Season. He's been much improved, not sure why that's so hard to accept...

He is supposed to be a defender and as a defender he is poor.

Those saying Candias covers for him is as weak as it gets and says everything

I want a defender who can defend and the best one in Scotland at that, not makeshift.

Solid against the scum my erse. His weaknesses are obvious for all to see and as I say, do it against the scum, then we can start with the OTT adulation, but  FFS, to have some saying at this juncture he's brilliant, among the elite, are on fucking drugs. 

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

He is supposed to be a defender and as a defender he is poor.

Those saying Candias covers for him is as weak as it gets and says everything

I want a defender who can defend and the best one in Scotland at that, not makeshift.

Solid against the scum my erse. His weaknesses are obvious for all to see and as I say, do it against the scum, then we can start with the OTT adulation, but  FFS, to have some saying at this juncture he's brilliant, among the elite, are on fucking drugs. 

Modern full-backs are asked to go forward and their contribution going forward can often be worth more than what they offer defensively.  A few years ago Izaguirre, an attacking full-back who can't defend, won POTY here in Scotland because he was such an asset going forward.  During Walter's second spell we were winning titles and pulling off good runs in Europe with Whittaker at RB who again, couldn't defend and often contributed more with his attacking play.  The highest rated full-back in the country is Tierney and there's even questions over his ability to defend.

On 10/13/2017 at 21:53, ben51 said:

Agree, we have plenty threat down that side - if only we could replicate it on the other side.

On 10/14/2017 at 08:00, sandyinroyalblue said:

Not really swung in with pace but just really accurate.

The problem with Tav is that when he puts some pace on his cross the ball has probably more chance of ending up in the car park or Edmiston Drive depending on what end we are attacking than it has of getting to our players in the box. If he keeps pinging them in like he has been doing lately, that will do me fine.