When the January window opens...

graeme_4

Assuming Pedro keeps things ticking along the way they have been, he’ll be in a good position come January.

First 11 has decent strength, but we’re weak in terms of the squad. 

If he’s given a bit of cash, or generates some from getting rid of the likes of Miller or Krancjar - where do we need to strengthen? 

I’d say LM is the no. 1 priority.

If we went for a quality addition there, and then tied up some pre-contracts (maybe Walker, Moult and McLean?) we’d be in pretty good shape. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

Assuming Pedro keeps things ticking along the way they have been, he’ll be in a good position come January.

First 11 has decent strength, but we’re weak in terms of the squad. 

If he’s given a bit of cash, or generates some from getting rid of the likes of Miller or Krancjar - where do we need to strengthen? 

I’d say LM is the no. 1 priority.

If we went for a quality addition there, and then tied up some pre-contracts (maybe Walker, Moult and McLean?) we’d be in pretty good shape. 

I think this window is about adding depth. Then summer is about adding quality.

We won't get cash for Miller or Niko. We will be waving fees if they are going. 

If they do go, and they should, it will free up wages though. For me we need another striker, a left midfielder and someone who can play at full back. Hodson is in the squad because he can cover both LB and RB, but he is not good enough. If we could upgrade on him I think that would be good.

I think a good window will be getting at least two of the players above signed on pre contracts, and making 2 permanent signings for the positions needed above.

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

I think this window is about adding depth. Then summer is about adding quality.

We won't get cash for Miller or Niko. We will be waving fees if they are going. 

If they do go, and they should, it will free up wages though. For me we need another striker, a left midfielder and someone who can play at full back. Hodson is in the squad because he can cover both LB and RB, but he is not good enough. If we could upgrade on him I think that would be good.

I think a good window will be getting at least two of the players above signed on pre contracts, and making 2 permanent signings for the positions needed above.

Yeh, mean freeing up wages rather than actually sales. 

We have too many fringe players who aren't actually good enough to dislodge first team players. Or don't get the chance (Hardie, Nemane).

We need another good forward that can play beside Morelos or replace him if he was out.

A left mid is also required though I think Nemane deserves a shot.

Regardless, anyone brought in NEEDS to be 1st team ready and a sure starter not a back up.

Moult is one I would definitely go for.  Walker and the sheep lad I've not seen enough of.

4 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

We have too many fringe players who aren't actually good enough to dislodge first team players. Or don't get the chance (Hardie, Nemane).

We need another good forward that can play beside Morelos or replace him if he was out.

A left mid is also required though I think Nemane deserves a shot.

Regardless, anyone brought in NEEDS to be 1st team ready and a sure starter not a back up.

Moult is one I would definitely go for.  Walker and the sheep lad I've not seen enough of.

I really like Kenny McLean. I thought he was excellent at St Mirren.

I'm always worried though when we sign someone from the SPFL if they are actually good enough for us. I think with him if we got him on a free - or could force Aberdeen to sell him to us below on-contract value then it would represent little risk.

There's enough talent in him if it doesn't work out we will be able to sell him to a lower Championship or League 1.

We are stuck with Miller and Krancjar till next summer sadly no one will be daft enough to offer them Bosman contracts far less sign them in Jan.

Moult, Mclean, Walker, John and Morgan should all be signed on Bosman deals asap. After that's done offer 50k for each them in an upfront fee in the January window and see if clubs bite and maybe sell them to us.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I really like Kenny McLean. I thought he was excellent at St Mirren.

I'm always worried though when we sign someone from the SPFL if they are actually good enough for us. I think with him if we got him on a free - or could force Aberdeen to sell him to us below on-contract value then it would represent little risk.

There's enough talent in him if it doesn't work out we will be able to sell him to a lower Championship or League 1.

McLean, that's him ta.

I'd probably take him and Walker on pre contracts more on what I've heard than seen. They do tend to be the better performers in their teams.

But not in the winter if they'd cost decent money. I'm not sure they're better than some of our players that haven't been given a chance ie Hardie and Nemane who I'd say deserve a chance first.

2 minutes ago, Alves70 said:

We are stuck with Miller and Krancjar till next summer sadly no one will be daft enough to offer them Bosman contracts far less sign them in Jan.

Moult, Mclean, Walker, John and Morgan should all be signed on Bosman deals asap. After that's done offer 50k for each for them in an upfront fee in the January window and see if clubs bite and maybe sell them to us.

Some good points there.

I do wonder if Miller and Niko were to be told their time was up here and they could leave to extend their last bout of playing time elsewhere this could actually work. Play elsewhere or retire in the reserves type thing.

Pedro has to do well enough to keep him in a job to be in a job in the summer to get those pre contracts in to his Rangers team. No good planning too far ahead from him if he doesn't make it.

Thats his challenge, results like last night go a long way to it working out for him.

10 minutes ago, Alves70 said:

Moult, Mclean, Walker, John and Morgan should all be signed on Bosman deals asap. After that's done offer 50k for each them in an upfront fee in the January window and see if clubs bite and maybe sell them to us.

I think Miller will go in January. Hibs or some other horrible club will offer him a player/coach role.

I'd like to see us sign Walker, McLean, and Moult, on pre-contracts.

We still need to move out a lot of the deadwood players: Miller, Kranjcar, Windass, Holt, and Hodson.  If we can find permanent moves for Halliday and MOH that would be a bonus as we're no doubt paying them a substantial amount while on loan.

5 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

I think Miller will go in January. Hibs or some other horrible club will offer him a player/coach role.

Miller will go where the money is.  Hibs wont match the wages we're currently paying him so I doubt he'll be going anywhere until his contract is up.  I do think he'll end up at Hibs next season and good fucking riddance.

I think you have to be wary of upsetting the balance of a team, especially mid-season.

We radically (it was required) changed our team over the summer and it's taken us this long to settle into any kind of rhythm, bringing in a raft of new players could upset that rhythm or dynamic.

However, there are key areas where, IMO, we need strengthening. For me Windass is too inconsistent and we need a new LW, folk keep saying Nemane deserves a chance but I don't think we've seen anything to suggest he deserves anything, I would absolutely target Walker for Jan as he is a proven wide player, especially for SPL action.

At LB we should try to sign Declan John and thst provides 2 solid players there.

With KM not deserving of a starting slot, based purely on form, I would target Moult, a player who we know can score in SPL but also someone who can similarly run the channels in the way Miller used too.

I think we should also dip into our youth team to supplement any other positions as their progression is also vital to progression. 

Lastly, we cannot forget about Mark Allan & what he brings, the scouting system is being sorted, I understand that scouts have been/are about to be appointed for target locations which will provide new sources for future players.

I can see Nico looking to the MLS in January and Miller leaving for a coaching role. That frees up some wages.

Is Moult any better than Hardie ? I doubt it.

Wallace will be fir by January and DJ can move forward and take over from Windass. I don't think we need more squad players just the injection of some quality.

A string of winning results to get the team gelled with a winning mentality and then we are only a few quality signings away from having a proper team. A striker as good as Morelos and a standout left winger to balance the teams lopsidedness would be a great start.

Just now, GersInCanada said:

I can see Nico looking to the MLS in January and Miller leaving for a coaching role. That frees up some wages.

Is Moult any better than Hardie ? I doubt it.

Wallace will be fir by January and DJ can move forward and take over from Windass. I don't think we need more squad players just the injection of some quality.

moult better than hardie 100% he is. People going on like hardie is our saviour Imo if he was showing up well he'd already be getting a chance under Pedro

10 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

moult better than hardie 100% he is. People going on like hardie is our saviour Imo if he was showing up well he'd already be getting a chance under Pedro

Why?

Miller played plenty before Pedro finally reacted and got dropped. Windass has been shite all season but continued to get picked. Mccrorie has arguably been better than Cardoso but seems to be 3rd choice CH. Pena has been so poor few would have argued about him being dropped (4 good goals aside ?).

Pedro seems to give his first pick players ages even when under performing and prefers a continuity over replacing under performers even where justified.

I think given the number of examples above it's a Pedro mindset thing rather than reflection on the abilities of those he's not giving a chance.

11 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Why?

Miller played plenty before Pedro finally reacted and got dropped. Windass has been shite all season but continued to get picked. Mccrorie has arguably been better than Cardoso but seems to be 3rd choice CH. Pena has been so poor few would have argued about him being dropped (4 good goals aside ?).

Pedro seems to give his first pick players ages even when under performing and prefers a continuity over replacing under performers even where justified.

I think given the number of examples above it's a Pedro mindset thing rather than reflection on the abilities of those he's not giving a chance.

I also remember Walter doing exactly the same thing.