How many goals did John Greig score for us?

pcbear

I never knew he scored so many, but I did know that he scored a few belters in his career. The number is surprising, especially when his ratio wasn't great of hitting an empty net as he ran out at the start of every game, kicking the ball towards the goal :lol: 

What a terrific captain he was though. It was a shame that his managerial stint wasn't as good. I remember standing in the terracing in crowds of well under 10,000 at the time. I think it even hit as low as 6,000 at one point. It did make a change from being in the ground ages before kick-off, loving the view, desperate for the game to kick-off and then some guy about 8 feet tall (maybe an inch or so less) stands in front of you in the last couple of minutes :anger:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

I'm too young to have ever been in that stand. I may be wrong, one of the older posters will be able to correct me if i am, but did the fans not used to switch sides at halftime? Maybe why you remember the taigs being in a different part of the stadium?

No mate , fences were at the sides of the Centenary at that point . We used to give them seats at the west end of the Main stand and also the west enclosure , that's why I cant remember if they had one small (the Silver) section of the Centenary . 

10 hours ago, folkestoneger said:

Was actually just thinking about that goal.

My first ever time at Ibrox.

A league cup section game ending 1-1 if I recall correctly

I'm sure that was a league game and I think we won about 4-0. I was at the game but my memory could be playing tricks

34 minutes ago, blueretro said:

I'm sure that was a league game and I think we won about 4-0. I was at the game but my memory could be playing tricks

Your memory is about as good as the piemans managerial skills.

16 August 1975 Rangers 1-1 Motherwell.  League Cup Sections. (Courtesy of wiki)

We didn’t play them in the league until October and the video says aug 75

2 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

We were in the Centenary stand that day just to the Rangers end side of the halfway line . Did we give them the small section of that stand closest to Broomloan Road or am I just getting mixed up because we used to give them seats in the Govan when that was first built ?  The section next to the celtic end was smaller than the rest of the stand due to the old railway at the back , also remember the sections used to be different colours similar to how the new stands started off . Personally I think that Greig could have played another couple of seasons with the team we had then before hanging up his boots but as he said himself he couldn't turn down the chance to manage Rangers .

Aye they had at least a section off the centenary, was at the end off the row right beside them celebrating like fuck, they were going mental :lol:

54 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Your memory is about as good as the piemans managerial skills.

16 August 1975 Rangers 1-1 Motherwell.  League Cup Sections. (Courtesy of wiki)

We didn’t play them in the league until October and the video says aug 75

It certainly looks that way. I remember that goal as if it was yesterday, but my recollection of the game has obviously been scrambled over the years

3 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Seem to remember Greig scoring the only goal in an Old Firm game, Ne'erday, last 1960's.  Penalty kick.  Memory is hazy of this one since I was probably drunk at the time.  If any bear can clarify, I'd be grateful.  Beyond my cable tow at the minute.

January 69.

He scored a belter in the playoffs FOR the 1966 world cup. The first leg was at hampden and we beat italy 1-0 thanks to greigs goal but the return leg saw scotland beaten 3-0. Jim baxter who ran the show in the first leg didnt play in the return leg. No baxter, no chance

21 hours ago, Gascoigne8 said:

Thats no bad, its taken you from the 14th to come up with this post.

2/10

Wouldnt read again 

I don't spend all my time on a football forum......oh and he never scored FOR the World Cup, he scored FOR SCOTLAND it was a Group 8 Qualifier....not a play off! .......and Marco (William) Negri played in goals for Italy!....No often your right.....but your wrong again ;)